Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
September 02, 2014, 11:58:29 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This BB is intended for the sole purpose of sharing conversion and bus related information among visitors to our web site. These rules must be followed in order for us to continue this free exchange of info. No bad mouthing of any business or individual is permitted. Absolutely no items for sale are to be posted, except in the Spare Tire board. Interested in placing a classified or web ad, please contact our advertising dept. at 714-903-1784 or e-mail to: info@busconversions.com.

Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Why do my water in hot water tank have rotten odor?  (Read 1548 times)
Bill B /bus

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2013, 01:28:37 PM »

At the house the well exhibits the sulphur smell when the bacteria in the well overwhelms everything. Your state DEP or such can give your the proportions of bleach and procedures necessary to kill the bacteria.

On the hot water tank drain when cool. Flush with a bleach solution, maybe a quarter cup per 10 gallons. Let sit for 30mins or so. Drain and refill and drain probably three to four times to clear out the bleach smell. Should be good to go until the bacteria comes back.

Instead of bleach (chlorine) we use the Purogene product. No flushing required. Usable after a 20 min soak period.

Bill

Bill & Lynn
MCI102A3, Series 50 w/HT70
white-eagle

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2013, 02:18:23 PM »

Brian is correct.  it is bacteria in the hot water tank.  the first time it occurred, we just bought a new tank.  the 2nd time a couple years later, i researched it.  Better to use peroxide than bleach because it is not deadly to you.  i think we  put a cup into the tank by turning on a hot water faucet with the first 6 ft of fill hose with peroxide in it.  heated the tank to 180, let it set for a few hours, then flushed it and turned temp back down.  All better.

i saw you said the cold didn't smell, so no need to treat the well or the main storage tank.

Tom
1991 Eagle 15 and proud of it.
8V92T, 740, Fulltime working on the road.

Fran was called to a higher duty 12/16/13. I lost my life navigator.
Dave5Cs

1979 MCI MC5Cs 6V-71 HT-740 Allison, Roseville, CA

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2013, 03:40:42 PM »

Our water heater has an Aluminum Tank and don't have the problem.

Dave5Cs

Don4107

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2013, 10:26:15 PM »

We stopped having the problem when we stopped using RV antifreeze in both the boat and bus. Now I blow out the water systems with air and save the pink stuff for the drain traps.  No more odor.  Much simpler.  No heater bypass, no flushing the pink stuff. 

Have you ever drained the pink stuff out on some grass?  Kills it better than Round Up. Cheaper too!  Not something I want to drink or bath in.

Blow it out in the fall.  Fill it and go in the spring.

Don 4107 Eastern Washington
1975 MCI 5B
1966 GM PD 4107 for sale
1968 GMC Carpenter
harleyman_1000

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: June 29, 2013, 06:00:12 PM »

Ok the smell maybe bad and everyone is talking about fixing the smell, but your still drinking and using the water with several inches of white goo Shocked

Scott 
St.Louis Missouri

1958 GM 4104 Extended 2 feet, with a 6v92 and 5 speed automatic

http://s783.photobucket.com/user/harleyman_1000/library/Gm4104%20bus?sort=3&page=1
Scott Bennett
Scott & Heather MCI-9

Scott & Heather

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: June 29, 2013, 06:48:26 PM »

Did someone already suggest pouring a bottle of hydrogen peroxide into the tank?

Sent from iPhone via Tapatalk

Scott & Heather
1984 MCI9 6V92-turbo with 9 inch roof raise & conversion in progress.
http://www.scottmichaelbennett.com/p/our-bus.html
˙ǝɯoɔlǝʍ suoıʇɐuop ˙snq ʍǝu ɐ pǝǝu ʎlqɐqoɹd ll,ǝʍ 'sıɥʇ pɐǝɹ uɐɔ noʎ ɟı
paul102a3

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: June 29, 2013, 11:07:46 PM »

One other option to prevent the smell is to use a powered anode in place of the Aluminum or Zinc/Aluminum rod. A small electrical current is passed through the water and prevents galvanic corrosion so no rusting of the tank. Since there is no aluminum rod in the tank, there is no hydrogen sulfide created by the anaerobic bacteria so no smell. These are the best option if you are on a well and use a water softener also. The down side is they are expensive $250. The up side is no smell and the tank will never rust out.

A powered Anode and Cathode system was installed on many pleasure boats as early as the late 1960s to prevent the galvanic corrosion from damaging the propeller and all the rest of the underwater stuff so a powered anode for a water heater is not a new concept.

As I and others have stated, if you can adjust your water temp to 150 degrees or higher, that will eliminate the odor. There is the danger of scalding at that temp and yes you will use a little more electricity. One option to prevent scalding is a mixing valve that can add some cold water after the hot water leaves the tank.

There is one extreme option and that is to cut the anode rod off and go without. No smell but you will be replacing the water heater every few years. One other advantage of not having the Anode rod is there is no leaching of Aluminum into the water.

Paul

2001 Prevost XL II
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: