Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
April 17, 2014, 10:40:40 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: New ownership began September 1st 2012!  Please send any comments to info@busconversions.com
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Whats in a Name? (BUS NAMES) II  (Read 2334 times)
Geom

1966 PD4107

Ignore
« on: June 28, 2013, 08:10:20 AM »

Ok, how about a little fun?  Grin

I was digging through the archives and came across this old thread by @Singing Land Cruiser
asking what everyone named their bus and how they arrived at that name.

As we close in on the 'perfect bus', we will soon have the task of naming her. We have several candidate names but won't really know the name for sure until we have the one.

So please share; what did you name your bus and how did you arrive at the name?

1966 GM 4107
6v92 Turbo
V730
bevans6

1980 MCI MC-5C

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2013, 08:15:17 AM »

I used to play jazz guitar, mostly in workshop groups, and one of the tunes we always played was "Have You Met Miss Jones".  A great standard and a great tune to improvise on, but I never knew the lyrics.  One day I pulled out my lead sheet book, which does have lyrics, and found that tune and read the lyric for the first time.  One of the verses really struck me as exactly why I love the whole idea and concept of a bus, traveling, seeing what the next day and night will bring:

"Then I said Miss Jones
You're a girl who understands
I'm a man who must be free.

And all at once I lost my breath
And all at once was scared to death
And all at once I own the earth and sky"

So our bus is named "Miss Jones"

Brian

1980 MCI MC-5C, 8V-71T from a M-110 self propelled howitzer
Spicer 8844 4 speed Zen meditation device
Vintage race cars -
1978 Lola T440 Formula Ford
1972 NTM MK-4 B/SR
technomadia

Zephyr - 1961 GM PD-4106-446

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2013, 08:31:06 AM »

Zephyr got her name after many months of trying to find the ideal name for her.

We conducted our bus hunt via an Amtrak rail pass, and had taken the California Zephyr across country from Chicago to San Francisco. And then we discovered that the last picture we had on our SD card before our first picture of what became our bus was of an original Zephyr scenic car on display at the Miracopa Amtrak station.

It just hit us while spending time at Choo Choo Garage getting maintenance done... trains played a large role in our bus life... and we both simultaneously said 'Zephyr'!

The full story:  http://www.technomadia.com/2011/12/we-finally-named-our-bus/

- Cherie

Cherie and Chris / www.technomadia.com
Full-time 'Technomads' since 2006 (technology enabled nomads)
babell2

Brice

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2013, 08:56:31 AM »

I had my wife planting a travel at retirement thought in my brain start this adventure. My bus is a double meaning "The Last Resort" and it may be.

Sent from my C5155 using Tapatalk 2

1980 MCI-9 "The Last Resort" Located just south of Atlanta GA.
Just starting conversion. A long way to go!
The other Brice
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2013, 09:08:04 AM »

Knowing or at least thinking the Eagle that Matt owns now would be my last bus and age a factor it was named End of the Trail seemed fitting to me but the Indians gave me such a hard time both the 4000 dollar mural and the name were removed.

Now if I had to do it over again I would tell the Indians here were I live to go to hell and keep my name and mural
« Last Edit: June 28, 2013, 09:12:27 AM by luvrbus » Logged

Live each day like it was your last,one day it will be
Seayfam

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2013, 09:26:16 AM »

After owning my bus for a year, I started to search the history of the bus. I found out that it belonged to Star of Indiana (a drum and bugle group) from back in the 80's. I wound up getting into contact with the manager of that group and was asking him about some of the history of the coach. The first thing he said was you mean (Big Bird) we have some great memories in that bus. Apparently the kids back then named the bus Big Bird and they had a sticker in the entrance door window of a big yellow Big Bird from the old tv show Sesame Street. Now I know my bus is not a bird, but I renamed it Big Bird.

Gary Seay (location Alaska)
1969 MCI MC-6 unit# 20006
8V92 turbo 740 auto
more pics and information here     "  www.my69mci-6.blogspot.com  "
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2013, 09:30:05 AM »

My grand daughter always called our Eagle big bird kids are wonderful with the names I tried to get her to call it by a different name didn't happen it was Big Bird till the day it left

Live each day like it was your last,one day it will be
DKO

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2013, 09:35:07 AM »

BoggsMobile
Our Bus is just one of a long line of BoggsMobiles. That is always the name of the vehicle that is carrying us around to preach and sing.

There have been many. Here are a few:
74 VW Beetle
84 Plymouth Reliant Station Wagon
79 Holiday Ramblet 5th Wheel
84 Hitchhiker 5th Wheel
2004 Kountry Star

It was just natural for the bus to carry the same name. I guess we are not very creative.

DKO

Home is where you go when there's no place else to go!
1995/96 Prevost XL Vantare
Seayfam

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2013, 09:42:04 AM »

My grand daughter always called our Eagle big bird kids are wonderful with the names I tried to get her to call it by a different name didn't happen it was Big Bird till the day it left

Yeah, I didn't want to install a big bird sticker back on the bus, but instead I opted for plates. In Alaska we are allowed six letters or numbers for personal plates, so I ordered BIGBRD

Gary Seay (location Alaska)
1969 MCI MC-6 unit# 20006
8V92 turbo 740 auto
more pics and information here     "  www.my69mci-6.blogspot.com  "
bansil

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2013, 09:51:28 AM »

12 years ago my wife's Rodeo got the nick name "the Turtle" because she was so slow on the trail compared to all the modified rigs

she soon became known as Mama Turtle, since she was always feeding and taking the young-uns under her wing(at Isuzu get together's and Toy runs)

so while she was racing trucks (and since I was always building "the Turtle") I became known as "turtle mechanic"  and we were called "Team Turtle"

We love turtles

So it was Natural that when we picked up the slowest vehicle we have ever owned it Should follow the tradition "La Tortuga" (it looks better than "the turtle/tortoise") Grin

Doug
Mnt City TN
 Member of:
Debo

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2013, 10:18:54 AM »

I started calling ours "Bob" for "big ole bus" and it stuck. If I had known it was going to stick I would have picked something more creative.  Smiley

1981 MCI MC9
Detroit 8V-71N
Spicer 4-Speed Manual
Outer Banks, NC (Nags Head)
Jeremy

1987 Bedford Plaxton

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2013, 10:27:42 AM »

My bus (and boat) is called Maggie because I'm in the magazine business.

Jeremy

A shameless plug for my business - visit www.magazineexchange.co.uk for back issue magazines - thousands of titles covering cars, motorbikes, aircraft, railways, boats, modelling etc. You'll find lots of interest, although not much covering American buses sadly.
siberyd

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2013, 11:01:40 AM »

Our bus and my handle share the same name Siberyd. Its also the personal plate on our skoolie (one day it will be on our 4104).

My wife and I are envolved with siberian husky rescue. We are constantly giving huskies rides.......

Siberyd

1964 White/Carpenter 35' RE 3208 Husky Camp
1957 PD 4104-2240 Converted Siberyd

http://s1240.photobucket.com/albums/gg498/26R13/
TexasBorderDude
Founder - Texas Curmudgeon Society

Nothing simple is ever easy...

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2013, 11:15:07 AM »

Whenever we get on the road  Grin,  I tell people Coffee is a famous European TV star that does magic tricks... card tricks, juggles, etc. 

Them... "Can she show us a trick?"
Me...  "I'm just the driver. I don't even speak her language.... Wanna see her sit?"

Grin Grin Grin Grin

A curmudgeon's reputation for malevolence is undeserved. They're neither warped nor evil at heart. They don't hate mankind, just mankind's absurdities. They're just as sensitive and soft-hearted as the next guy, but they hide their vulnerability beneath a crust of misanthropy.
PCC

Serving Those Who Have Served

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2013, 11:42:42 AM »

The vehicle that we use for the transportation of disabled veterans and mobility challenged is named "ESPY".

That word sounds like the initials of our organization (Serving Project) but its meanings include behold, discern, distinguish, see, look (ahead), notice, perceive, regard, sight, spot, view, witness.

For some, patience is a virtue.
Dealing with me, it is required.
Thank God - He is always patient.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: