Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 26, 2014, 01:30:55 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: New ownership began September 1st 2012!  Please send any comments to info@busconversions.com
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Escoteric Route Question  (Read 1020 times)
Lin

1965 MC-5a

Ignore
« on: June 29, 2013, 09:24:18 AM »

We are going to spend some days at the Heart Bar Campground in the San Bernardino National Forest.  The shortest mileage route is Hwy 18 up to Big Bear and Hwy 38 after that.  Some have advised us to go the I-10 route, which is 20 miles longer and, since we would have to descend a couple of thousand feet before the ascent, would be more climbing.  So my question is whether anyone has driven a large vehicle up Hwy 18 to Big Bear and what it was like.  Some years ago, we did go up that way by car, but I don't remember how good the route would be for a bus.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2013, 01:54:11 PM by Lin » Logged

You don't have to believe everything you think.
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2013, 01:04:57 PM »

We have been to Heart Bar campgrounds on 38 in a 40 ft bus but I don't know where Heard Bar is located on 38 ?

Life is short drink the good wine first
Lin

1965 MC-5a

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2013, 02:00:51 PM »

Heard Bar?  Whatever could you be talking about?  Yes, I did mean Heart Bar.  Did you go up 38 from I-10?  I want to go the other way, which is 18 up to Big Bear and 38 for the rest.  I have seen semis go up 38 from the south but just don't remember what 18 was like.  If I do not come across some real negative info on it, we will go that way.  I think the worst case would have us discounting the Jeep for the wife to drive separately.

Did you like that camping area.  It will be a good 20 degrees cooler than here.  I just hope we can get a nice shady spot.

RJ
Former Giant Greenbrier Owner

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2013, 04:45:12 PM »

Lin -

I wouldn't worry about it - you're driving a mini-van on steroids - especially if you like a lot of twisties.

Might want to consider the passengers, however.  Lots and lots of twisties can wreak havoc for some, and the 18 > 38 route's got a lot more than I-10 > 38.

Whatever you decide, enjoy!

FWIW & HTH. . .

Wink

RJ Long
PD4106-2784 No More
Fresno CA
Lin

1965 MC-5a

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2013, 06:07:15 PM »

Thanks RJ,  Last year while near your area, we went up to a Forest Service campground in Sequoia.  Some of the hairpin turns on the route could only be made as a broken U-- not exactly what I like when towing.  We detached and my wife drove the Jeep.  If I thought is was going to be that bad, I would take the other way.  However, since it is one of the main roads up to Big Bear, I don't think it will be the same.

BTW- I had thought to look at Electrical Sean's blog to see if I could find info.  I could not, but his blog has transformed into as an enthusiastic maritime site as it was for busing.  He sure keeps busy!

Ed Hackenbruch

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2013, 06:11:34 PM »

Lin, maybe if you go to google earth and follow the road you might get a better idea of what it is like. I have done that several times to see if i wanted to go on a particular road.

1968 MCI 5A with 8V71 and Allison MT644 transmission.  Western USA
RJ
Former Giant Greenbrier Owner

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2013, 06:31:01 PM »

Thanks RJ,  Last year while near your area, we went up to a Forest Service campground in Sequoia.  Some of the hairpin turns on the route could only be made as a broken U-- not exactly what I like when towing. 

Sounds like you took 198 out of Visalia up thru Three Rivers!

I had to make that run in an MC-9 a few years back. . . very interesting!

Wink

RJ Long
PD4106-2784 No More
Fresno CA
Van
Billy Van Hagen

89' Silver Eagle 15/40 6V92MUI Boulder City,NV

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2013, 06:44:17 PM »

If it is the 18 comin from the north there will be a few switch backs on the initial climb, and a bunch of them twistys. Inever been on the 38so can't help ya there. Good luck!

If you are not living on the edge, then you're takin' up too much space!!!
Dave5Cs

1979 MCI MC5Cs 6V-71 HT-740 Allison, Roseville, CA

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2013, 07:02:42 PM »

I practice sharp turns on our driveway and cut trees to get out. LOL

Dave5Cs

Lin

1965 MC-5a

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2013, 08:17:28 PM »

RJ- That's about right.  It was 198 to Lemon Cove and then up Dry Creek Drive. We were going to the Eshom Creek Campground. It was in the National Forest but had a dirt road that went right into the Park.

Ed- I did as you said and it looks okay. It looks to be as Van says.  However, the road looks like a good two laner, so with a little kindness and understanding from the oncoming traffic, all should be alright.

Lin

1965 MC-5a

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2013, 03:42:14 PM »

Well the good news is that we made it.  We did get stuck in a turn, but that was not that we could not make the turn.  It was that the bus literally could not do the incline on the turn.  We had to unhitch,  and then everything was fine.  I wanted to unhitch earlier but my wife wasn't feeling well,  so I thought I would try to make it.   

The enimic engine performance was probably a combination of engine age and being at over 6000 feet.  So if anyone else wants to come this way,  I would recommend unhitching the toad before starting the climb. Thanks for the help. I'm

Van
Billy Van Hagen

89' Silver Eagle 15/40 6V92MUI Boulder City,NV

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2013, 04:58:07 PM »

Glad you made it up. I had remembered that road from all the trips to the lake We made on the Harley, I love grinding my floorboards into the pavement on those SB's Grin

If you are not living on the edge, then you're takin' up too much space!!!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: