Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
September 02, 2014, 05:31:40 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: It will not get torn up or crushed if you back over it with your bus.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A 'Boring' Question re: 8V71  (Read 2903 times)
TexasBorderDude
Founder - Texas Curmudgeon Society

Nothing simple is ever easy...

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2013, 05:32:44 PM »

Wow!!!  Huh Roll Eyes Huh

The vitriol, rancor, and general curmudgeoness on this board is... well... it is what it is I suppose.

Curmudgeoness!   Don't drag me into this!

A curmudgeon's reputation for malevolence is undeserved. They're neither warped nor evil at heart. They don't hate mankind, just mankind's absurdities. They're just as sensitive and soft-hearted as the next guy, but they hide their vulnerability beneath a crust of misanthropy.
Geom

1966 PD4107

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2013, 05:34:24 PM »

Curmudgeoness!   Don't drag me into this!

LOL, note: no actual curmudgeons we harmed in the making of this post  Grin

1966 GM 4107
6v92 Turbo
V730
technomadia

Zephyr - 1961 GM PD-4106-446

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2013, 09:43:03 PM »

A 52 year old bus, and everyone is surprised it has a blown engine.

Incredible. 

Take your licks and move on, this is getting to be old news, air filters indeed.

I don't think we've ever said we're surprised by any of this? Has anyone stated this?

If anything - as we've said repeatedly - we were surprised that we've had two essentially trouble free years with an engine that was such an unknown quantity.

I guess what is most surprising for us is how many people seem to have an issue with us on this forum sharing about our experience, and soliciting wisdom and advice.

Isn't that what these forums are for?

Anyway - if you don't find our threads interesting or useful...  uhm, you don't need to read them.

- Chris

Cherie and Chris / www.technomadia.com
Full-time 'Technomads' since 2006 (technology enabled nomads)
technomadia

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: June 30, 2013, 10:28:53 PM »

As far as saying you had a strong runner I doubt that was was said because I do not use those words when a 8v71 is in the picture

The Internet never forgets: http://www.busconversions.com/bbs/index.php?topic=21688.0

"The air cleaner was the only real mess I saw on your bus and it was air tight so that wasn't a problem to me( Chris may have reservations now) a strong runner, not many oil leaks,easy air leaks to fix, new tires and wheels I didn't see problems but 4 days to change a air cleaner was worst than I thought lol so come around this winter and we will get that hiccup fixed IMO you and Chris did good on the purchase nice ride"

No mention of 'blow by', btw.

I never told you anything about the engine it was pointless then and still is to me, you really went out of your way 20 miles from your friends at Lake Havasu

You have previously made a statement about our engine on the forum here, and in person when we met you.

Not that we expected you to be omniscient and catch anything at all.

You had previously made it very clear that there's little that can be caught without fully taking an engine apart, and thus a mechanics pre-purchase opinion really doesn't mean much for giving one peace of mind. You also clearly stated you don't do pre-purchase mechanical inspections (you were the closest 2-stroke expert to Yuma we could locate at the time), and you advised us to 'roll the dice' and buy the bus - and if anything happened, give the wrecker your address. 

(Would you like the link to that old forum thread as well?) 

We were actually surprised at how little you found to be concerned with when we did bring the bus to you. We would not at all have been upset or disappointed if you had pointed out anything that seemed unusual or troublesome - that is exactly why we had accepted your invitation to come by even though the bus had made its maiden voyage ok. But it seems we did not understand the nature of your invitation, or your "nature" for wanting to leave folks feeling warm and fuzzy about their purchase, instead of pointing out things so clearly obvious that you remember them 2 years later. 

And it is 60 miles each way, not 20. True, not hundreds of miles - but also not trivial.

now tell the board how much you were charged   on to act 4

You invited us over, we did offer to pay you and offered to take you out to dinner. All offers that were declined, and we truly appreciated the generosity of your time & the o-ring you installed. 

What is especially confusing is how you are now chiming in to say that you remember hearing something wrong with our engine two years ago - but you purposely never mentioned it to us??? Even after publicly stating 'I didn't see problems'.

Are you thinking of a different bus and/or engine now?

You didn't even mention this two weeks ago when we were initially troubleshooting and it could have been useful.

So why mention it now for the first time?

Luvrbus - We do 'luv' and appreciate you. You are often referred to as the "Yoda of Buses"...  and as we've come to understand - it's for your inarguable wisdom, as well as your reputation for spawning confusion, leaving out critical bits of information at important junctures, and for talking in riddles (without punctuation).

At least Darth Vader always gave Luke straight and clear answers. Cheesy

- Chris

TexasBorderDude
Founder - Texas Curmudgeon Society

Nothing simple is ever easy...

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: July 01, 2013, 05:03:17 AM »

As part of this autopsy, you might include his boundless hospitality and generosity to the bus community for the last 20 years.

« Last Edit: July 01, 2013, 07:21:07 AM by TexasBorderDude » Logged

A curmudgeon's reputation for malevolence is undeserved. They're neither warped nor evil at heart. They don't hate mankind, just mankind's absurdities. They're just as sensitive and soft-hearted as the next guy, but they hide their vulnerability beneath a crust of misanthropy.
saddleup

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: July 01, 2013, 05:54:17 AM »

WOW..

Box Elder,S.D.  Battle Mountain,NV

1974 Eagle 05 On the road, to Somewhere
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: July 01, 2013, 06:22:55 AM »

Chris why don't you just be truthful and tell people with all the hits and and you staying in the lime light the main reason for all your BS is to sell books call 713-520-1784 they have a place for sell and stop all the drama you are not here to help it's only to line your pockets and the mods let you get away with it  Roll Eyes on looking back now I probably helped you do it 

Very sad you thinking you thinking people can be used we are not all  dumb

This is my last post here if people need help they can PM me or find me on the BNO,Eagle,MCI or Prevost boards you have made a mockery out of this board trying to sell the 59 cents books  

The writing skills I just don't use the software like you I have it but choose not to use it

As Don said here is blowing kisses to you not from lips but from my @$# kiss it
« Last Edit: July 01, 2013, 06:33:52 AM by luvrbus » Logged

Life is short drink the good wine first
OneLapper

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: July 01, 2013, 07:37:18 AM »

How on earth did we get to this point???  We (as a collective community of bus conversion fans on this forum) can't afford to lose anyone!   We need lovrbus.  We need Chris and Cherie.  We need the expertise, the opinions, the collective support of everyone. 

Mark

OneLapper
1964 PD4106-2853
www.markdavia.com
pete36330

my mc9 ,,gonna finish it one day ,,

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: July 01, 2013, 07:40:47 AM »

I lurk around here a lot ,,
But this time I'm gonna comment ,,#1 ,,The first time I met you 2,,First thought in my mind ,,
They look like  they want something for free,,,
I don't like people that attempt to make a living off other peoples sweat ,Especially other bus nuts,
Now your also an English major,huh..How dare you criticize anyone here for their grammer,,and all the good hearted folks here that have tried to help!.
Maybe its time you moved along ,,I'm sick and tired of your endless  rambling and crying,,
boxcarOkie

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: July 01, 2013, 07:50:24 AM »

Yeahsus!

Bad Spellers of the world Untie!

BCO

Lin

1965 MC-5a

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: July 01, 2013, 08:18:36 AM »

Alright guys, it's really hot out West, but let's not let that heat up the conversations.  As a person with limited mechanical skills, I greatly appreciate postings from similar folk because it brings out answers and perspectives that, aside from being interesting, may help me understand things better.  Obviously, for this strategy to be useful there must also be knowledgeable postings too.

I know first hand that Clifford will try to be as positive as possible when glancing at a bus we already own.  I think the only thing he said about ours a couple of years ago was that he liked    the new gear shift lever (talk about trying to find something good to say).

However, some of us must understand that in our hunt for understanding it can become annoying to keep rephrasing a question that has already been answered as well as it is going to be.  That is not to say that you should not keep asking until you are satisfied, but just that you can expect to get some blowback and should be ready to be diplomatic.  

So please bring it down a couple of notches.  While it is quite easy to create enmity, it is often more difficult to dissipate it.  Especially when the rhetoric has reached to level of pointless indignation.

Pete- That is just not helping.  We are not looking for villains, and there actually are none-- just regular, good people with a misunderstanding or disagreement.  It is certainly not one's duty or prerogative to declare who should and should not post here.  Personal attacks are never productive on an informational bulletin board.

You don't have to believe everything you think.
NonHippieBus

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: July 01, 2013, 09:11:52 AM »

The amount if vitriol aimed at C&C for asking questions lately I haven't understood, I personally prefer a thread which is kept going by the attempts to clarify the often contradicting info of posters.   It seems that for some reason some on this board seem to take offense that their answer isn't immediately accepted as gospel and the thread immediately comes grinding to conclusion.

This thread particular seems to have 2 offenses by posters that should they consider apologizing to each other for:
1.  Clifford for publicly posting an "I knew it all along" that the techno engine had blowby 2 years ago and was of suspect condition, while telling them it was fine at the time and posting publicly that all was well.  Why be "nice" in person, only to blindside people with info in an Internet forum "AFTER" a problem has occurred?
2.  The Technomads for taking offense at this and slamming Clifford publicly and turning "being a bus yoda" into a negative.  Your comments were over the top I felt and unbecoming.

This bus community is small, we need you guys to get along and we need the contributions both have to share.  Clifford we need your knowledge.  Chris and Cherie we need your emthusiasm, transparency, and willingness to share.
technomadia

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: July 01, 2013, 09:26:49 AM »

2.  The Technomads for taking offense at this and slamming Clifford publicly and turning "being a bus yoda" into a negative.  Your comments were over the top I felt and unbecoming.

Point well taken.  If the Yoda descriptors were taken negatively, we do sincerely apologize for that - to Clifford, and to everyone.  We very much meant those to turn the conversation to geek humor, not as a slam of Clifford or the Jedi Force.

However, we are done with being on the receiving end of vitriol and cheap shots for continuing to share and ask questions.

- Cherie

Emcemv

1973 MCI MC-7 Combo

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: July 01, 2013, 09:54:29 AM »

im with Mark, (one lapper) on this one, being a newbie at all this, I have learned a great deal from both Clifford, Technomadia and alll the other peope on  the board. This is such a great forum, lets not ruin it.

Bruce & Nancy Fagley
1973 MCI MC-7 Combo Freighter
450HP DD 8V-92T 2000 Reman
HT 740 Allison
Woodbury CT.
plyonsMC9
Global Moderator

Big Wheels Turnin'

« Reply #29 on: July 01, 2013, 10:12:58 AM »

Good morning all,

I'm going to lock this thread now -

- I have such huge amounts of respect for Clifford & learned much over the years - Thank you Clifford & hoping we can meet soon!!  Technomads; really like your approach & knowledge sharing & how you bring in everyone to the discussion - we all learn - Thank you!!

I hate to see this between folks I appreciate.  So - locked for now & hoping this too shall pass.   Smiley

Kind Regards to all, Phil

Northern Arizona / 1983 - MC9
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: