Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
April 16, 2014, 05:56:30 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This BB is intended for the sole purpose of sharing conversion and bus related information among visitors to our web site. These rules must be followed in order for us to continue this free exchange of info. No bad mouthing of any business or individual is permitted. Absolutely no items for sale are to be posted, except in the Spare Tire board. Interested in placing a classified or web ad, please contact our advertising dept. at 714-903-1784 or e-mail to: info@busconversions.com.

Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Slide outs?  (Read 716 times)
Van
Billy Van Hagen

89' Silver Eagle 15/40 6V92MUI Boulder City,NV

Ignore
« on: July 03, 2013, 05:01:29 AM »

If you have been thinking of doing your own slide outs, here is an item you might be interested in.  http://happijac.com/index.php/products/slide-outs.

Happy Bussin Smiley

If you are not living on the edge, then you're takin' up too much space!!!
Jeremy

1987 Bedford Plaxton

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2013, 05:21:36 AM »

It looks like a convenient ready-made unit, but that type of mechanism only works in situations where some piece of furniture (and it basically only applies to a bed) will continue to occupy floor space in front of the slide-out, even when the slide is fully extended. But if that's the kind of slide-out you're building, it might be just the job

Jeremy

A shameless plug for my business - visit www.magazineexchange.co.uk for back issue magazines - thousands of titles covering cars, motorbikes, aircraft, railways, boats, modelling etc. You'll find lots of interest, although not much covering American buses sadly.
Tikvah

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2013, 05:31:33 AM »

I'm getting a dead page ?

I couldn't repair my brakes, so I made my horn louder.
1989 MCI-102 A3
DD 6V92 Turbo, Alison
Tons of stuff to learn!
Started in Cheboygan, Michigan (near the Mackinaw Bridge).  Now home is anywhere we park
arutkow

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2013, 05:40:06 AM »

http://happijac.com/index.php/products/slide-outs

There was a "." at the end of the original link.

Jon

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2013, 05:47:53 AM »

What is not recognized is making a slide out is much more complex than just cutting a hole in the sidewall and rolling out a small room.

On some coaches the hole in the side goes through a required structural assembly such as on a Prevost.

Then there is the issue of sealing the opening. And the problems associated with flexing and binding. I don't doubt an owner with a good understanding of engineering principles could successfully add slides to any coach, but it took Prevost quite a few years and 4 or five redesigns before they finally got it right. Call me a cynic.

Jon

Current coach 2006 Prevost, Liberty conversion
Knoxville, TN
muldoonman
1991 Prevost 8V92TA

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2013, 06:59:47 AM »

Everybody knows all you need to install one of these is a 100 amp wire machine, a 12 ounce hammer and a 12 inch cresent wrench. Do it in an afternoon. Don't forget the beer. (This said tongue in cheek)
Jeremy

1987 Bedford Plaxton

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2013, 07:17:41 AM »

What is not recognized is making a slide out is much more complex than just cutting a hole in the sidewall and rolling out a small room.

On some coaches the hole in the side goes through a required structural assembly such as on a Prevost.

Then there is the issue of sealing the opening. And the problems associated with flexing and binding. I don't doubt an owner with a good understanding of engineering principles could successfully add slides to any coach, but it took Prevost quite a few years and 4 or five redesigns before they finally got it right. Call me a cynic.

Absolutely - those two issues trump all others by far - but when you're installing a slide-out the only question anyone ever asks is "will it be electric or hydraulic?"

Jeremy

A shameless plug for my business - visit www.magazineexchange.co.uk for back issue magazines - thousands of titles covering cars, motorbikes, aircraft, railways, boats, modelling etc. You'll find lots of interest, although not much covering American buses sadly.
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2013, 09:27:45 AM »

With my custom made 32ft box for my truck conversion, I was considering getting 2 slide outs made until I got a quote for $20,000 each. As it turns out, don't need them anyway. I like simplicity. Good luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
Dave5Cs

1979 MCI MC5Cs 6V-71 HT-740 Allison, Roseville, CA

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2013, 10:27:40 AM »

Oh come on now. Just a piece of 1\2 ply for a floor. Build 3 walls out of 2x2s cover with shingles and a piece of sheet metal for the top done your welcome. If it was for the bathroom pop out you wouldn't even need a holding tank under it. Just roll it on out.

Dave5Cs from Galaxy S III
« Last Edit: July 03, 2013, 02:55:11 PM by Dave5Cs » Logged

Scott Bennett
Scott & Heather MCI-9

Scott & Heather

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2013, 11:04:20 AM »

Oh come on now. Just a piece of 1\2 ply for a floor. Build 3 walls out of 2x2s cover with shingles and a piece of sheet metal for the top done your welcome. If it was for the bathroom pop out you woyldn t even need a holding tank under it. Just roll it on out.

Dave5Cs from Galaxy S III

LOL Smiley

Scott & Heather
1984 MCI9 6V92-turbo with 9 inch roof raise & conversion in progress.
http://www.scottmichaelbennett.com/p/our-bus.html
˙ǝɯoɔlǝʍ suoıʇɐuop ˙snq ʍǝu ɐ pǝǝu ʎlqɐqoɹd ll,ǝʍ 'sıɥʇ pɐǝɹ uɐɔ noʎ ɟı
Emcemv

1973 MCI MC-7 Combo

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2013, 02:21:46 PM »

Isn't it great to see some humor on this board!!!

Bruce & Nancy Fagley
1973 MCI MC-7 Combo Freighter
450HP DD 8V-92T 2000 Reman
HT 740 Allison
Woodbury CT.
Dave5Cs

1979 MCI MC5Cs 6V-71 HT-740 Allison, Roseville, CA

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2013, 03:03:32 PM »

Just though we all needed a little lightheartedness after these last 2 weeks. Must have been the heat.  Grin

110 degrees here today in Sacramento-Roseville area, but its a dry heat!... Today our chickens are laying eggs and they are so hot when you crack them open a flame shot out!... Shocked

Dave5Cs

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: