Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 30, 2014, 09:14:17 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: By clicking on any ad, a hotlink takes you directly to the advertiserís website.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Slide outs?  (Read 918 times)
Van
Billy Van Hagen

89' Silver Eagle 15/40 6V92MUI Boulder City,NV

Ignore
« on: July 03, 2013, 05:01:29 AM »

If you have been thinking of doing your own slide outs, here is an item you might be interested in.  http://happijac.com/index.php/products/slide-outs.

Happy Bussin Smiley

If you are not living on the edge, then you're takin' up too much space!!!
Jeremy

1987 Bedford Plaxton

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2013, 05:21:36 AM »

It looks like a convenient ready-made unit, but that type of mechanism only works in situations where some piece of furniture (and it basically only applies to a bed) will continue to occupy floor space in front of the slide-out, even when the slide is fully extended. But if that's the kind of slide-out you're building, it might be just the job

Jeremy

A shameless plug for my business - visit www.magazineexchange.co.uk for back issue magazines - thousands of titles covering cars, motorbikes, aircraft, railways, boats, modelling etc. You'll find lots of interest, although not much covering American buses sadly.
Tikvah

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2013, 05:31:33 AM »

I'm getting a dead page ?

I couldn't repair my brakes, so I made my horn louder.
1989 MCI-102 A3
DD 6V92 Turbo, Alison
Tons of stuff to learn!
Started in Cheboygan, Michigan (near the Mackinaw Bridge).  Now home is anywhere we park
arutkow

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2013, 05:40:06 AM »

http://happijac.com/index.php/products/slide-outs

There was a "." at the end of the original link.

Jon

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2013, 05:47:53 AM »

What is not recognized is making a slide out is much more complex than just cutting a hole in the sidewall and rolling out a small room.

On some coaches the hole in the side goes through a required structural assembly such as on a Prevost.

Then there is the issue of sealing the opening. And the problems associated with flexing and binding. I don't doubt an owner with a good understanding of engineering principles could successfully add slides to any coach, but it took Prevost quite a few years and 4 or five redesigns before they finally got it right. Call me a cynic.

Jon

Current coach 2006 Prevost, Liberty conversion
Knoxville, TN
muldoonman
1991 Prevost 8V92TA

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2013, 06:59:47 AM »

Everybody knows all you need to install one of these is a 100 amp wire machine, a 12 ounce hammer and a 12 inch cresent wrench. Do it in an afternoon. Don't forget the beer. (This said tongue in cheek)
Jeremy

1987 Bedford Plaxton

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2013, 07:17:41 AM »

What is not recognized is making a slide out is much more complex than just cutting a hole in the sidewall and rolling out a small room.

On some coaches the hole in the side goes through a required structural assembly such as on a Prevost.

Then there is the issue of sealing the opening. And the problems associated with flexing and binding. I don't doubt an owner with a good understanding of engineering principles could successfully add slides to any coach, but it took Prevost quite a few years and 4 or five redesigns before they finally got it right. Call me a cynic.

Absolutely - those two issues trump all others by far - but when you're installing a slide-out the only question anyone ever asks is "will it be electric or hydraulic?"

Jeremy

A shameless plug for my business - visit www.magazineexchange.co.uk for back issue magazines - thousands of titles covering cars, motorbikes, aircraft, railways, boats, modelling etc. You'll find lots of interest, although not much covering American buses sadly.
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2013, 09:27:45 AM »

With my custom made 32ft box for my truck conversion, I was considering getting 2 slide outs made until I got a quote for $20,000 each. As it turns out, don't need them anyway. I like simplicity. Good luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
Dave5Cs

1979 MCI MC5Cs 6V-71 HT-740 Allison, Roseville, CA

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2013, 10:27:40 AM »

Oh come on now. Just a piece of 1\2 ply for a floor. Build 3 walls out of 2x2s cover with shingles and a piece of sheet metal for the top done your welcome. If it was for the bathroom pop out you wouldn't even need a holding tank under it. Just roll it on out.

Dave5Cs from Galaxy S III
« Last Edit: July 03, 2013, 02:55:11 PM by Dave5Cs » Logged

Scott Bennett
Scott & Heather MCI-9

Scott & Heather

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2013, 11:04:20 AM »

Oh come on now. Just a piece of 1\2 ply for a floor. Build 3 walls out of 2x2s cover with shingles and a piece of sheet metal for the top done your welcome. If it was for the bathroom pop out you woyldn t even need a holding tank under it. Just roll it on out.

Dave5Cs from Galaxy S III

LOL Smiley

Scott & Heather
1984 MCI9 6V92-turbo with 9 inch roof raise & conversion in progress.
http://www.scottmichaelbennett.com/p/our-bus.html
˙ǝɯoɔlǝʍ suoıʇɐuop ˙snq ʍǝu ɐ pǝǝu ʎlqɐqoɹd ll,ǝʍ 'sıɥʇ pɐǝɹ uɐɔ noʎ ɟı
Emcemv

1973 MCI MC-7 Combo

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2013, 02:21:46 PM »

Isn't it great to see some humor on this board!!!

Bruce & Nancy Fagley
1973 MCI MC-7 Combo Freighter
450HP DD 8V-92T 2000 Reman
HT 740 Allison
Woodbury CT.
Dave5Cs

1979 MCI MC5Cs 6V-71 HT-740 Allison, Roseville, CA

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2013, 03:03:32 PM »

Just though we all needed a little lightheartedness after these last 2 weeks. Must have been the heat.  Grin

110 degrees here today in Sacramento-Roseville area, but its a dry heat!... Today our chickens are laying eggs and they are so hot when you crack them open a flame shot out!... Shocked

Dave5Cs

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: