Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
September 18, 2014, 12:45:18 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: It takes up much less space in your bus.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Norcold Refrigerator issues  (Read 499 times)
chuckd

Ignore
« on: July 07, 2013, 04:26:01 PM »

Went on a 4 day shake down ride in preparation for out trip to New Mexico.  Have a recurring problem with the refrigerator, it is a Norcold DE828, and it starts, runs fine, and then quits.  No freezer or refrigerator.  After some hours, I can restart it, and it will run again for a day or so.  When it runs it is for 24 to 36 hours and then quits.

Any thoughts?

Chuckd
Stillwater Mn
1979 Prevost
chessie4905

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2013, 05:20:28 PM »

Is it on 12 volts or on 110 volts when this happens? Does voltage input make any difference? If it is on 110, is the voltage a full 110 or a little less? Does wiggling or twisting the thermostat knob or tapping it lightly make it restart?  I"d slide it out and check for loose connections after it quits. You can jumper the thermostat connectors to see if it is causing the problem Also try tapping the switching relay while it is slid out and quits to see if that makes any difference. Get a meter and check for input voltage to the compressor when it quits. It'll probably be around 20 volts if it is getting current. Usually when you take the time to slide it out to check it. The damn thing will work flawlessly. If it eventually points to the circuit board, have an electronics tech closely look at it for bad solder joints.

GMC h8h 649#028
Pennsylvania-central
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2013, 05:43:41 PM »

Its more than likely the self setting relay on the 12 v side or limiting circuit switch the inverter doesn't seem bad if it runs that long

Life is short drink the good wine first
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2013, 09:04:19 PM »

Those refrigerators have overheating issues-especially when they get old with their swing compressors. New versions have fans cooling the compressor. Try putting a small computer type fan onto the compressor and see if that helps. On my older Norcold, the compressor froze up. I know have a NovaKool 9cu/ft that I really love-it performs much better then the Norcold ever dreamt of. Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: