Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
November 24, 2014, 07:19:56 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: New ownership began September 1st 2012!  Please send any comments to info@busconversions.com
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Baggage door hinge conundrum  (Read 1229 times)
vonprum

Here she is the day I bought it

Ignore
« on: July 03, 2013, 02:44:57 PM »

I replaced several baggage door hinges when I first bought my bus and it was easy but recently the front baggage door on the passenger side ripped off. I have more rubber hinge material and got the old piece out of the door OK but the piece on the bus is captured. The other doors had space to slide the old piece out and the new hinge in but there seems no way to get this piece out. in front is metal and close on the back end is the next hinge. I can only slide the old damaged hinge back and forth a quarter inch. Yes I have removed the screws. There just seems no way to do this without removing other doors just to get the new hinge rubber in place.

Has anyone ran into this and how did you solve the issue?

Lance Von Prum
Vancouver, WA
1957 PD 4104
usbusin

'60 PD4104-4355(sold) Now Freightliner Conversion

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2013, 02:52:35 PM »

Lance, yes I remember this problem.  It has been 14 years since I had my 4104 and 20+ years since I replaced the hinges.  I'm thinking.  Maybe I cut out the last 1/4" or so of the bottom portion of the track?  Used lots of soap.  Sorry, that's about all this old brain can do without seeing what it looks like.  Maybe you can take a picture?

GaryD

Gary D

USBUSIN was our 1960 PD4104 for 16 years Ustruckin' is our 2001 Freightliner truck conversion
vonprum

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2013, 02:56:05 PM »

That is what I was thinking, cut out a bit of the aluminum channel. I'll try that tomorrow unless someone else has a better suggestion. Thanks GaryD

Lance Von Prum
Vancouver, WA
1957 PD 4104
Boomer

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2013, 06:03:25 PM »

Sounds like it's time to contact Ed Gallant and install his stainless hinges.  Good product.

'81 Eagle 15/45
'47 GM PD3751-438
'65 Crown Atomic
Vancouver, WA USA
sdc53

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2013, 09:46:48 PM »

My hinges are different than yours, but the remaining rubber I sliced in half with a utility knife (support the door first) to free the door.  Then the rubber halves then slid right out of the channels no problem with the tension relieved.  I don't know what kind of support mechanism you have on yours but make sure you loosen whatever torsion bar, gas strut, etc first and be careful to keep all your fingers and blood where it belongs.

Some of the little screws were hiding quite well on mine and I couldn't see them until I got my torsion bars loose first and swung the door up out of the way.  I used a garbage can on its side to hold the door up.

You think getting them out is hard, wait till you try and put new ones back in.  I have instructions on that in another post on BNO.

Scott
'69 4107
Gladstone, OR

Scott
Gladstone, OR
1969 PD4107
olebusman

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2013, 05:44:35 AM »

My 06 has a notch cut out in the center bottom of the channel. Slide one half in from the center then cut to length and fold and slide the rest in. I use cable pulling lube, from Lowes, as a lube.  olebusman
jackhartjr

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder!

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2013, 06:06:35 AM »

Boomer, do you have Ed Gallant's contact info?
And for the uninformed, Ed makes a SS hinge that won't EVER come off!
Jack

Jack Hart, CDS
1956 GMC PD-4501 #945 (The Mighty SCENICRUISER!)
8V71 Detroit
4 speed Spicer Trannsmission
Hickory, NC, (Where a call to God is a local call!)
vonprum

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2013, 12:27:09 PM »

OK, where's my sign? Olebusman was right. There is a slot in the center that allows the install and removal of the rubber. I also found instructions in the collection of paperwork, receipts and booklets. Put the rubber hinge on the coach first with a little Windex, then slide the door on. Did the whole thing in four minutes. Thanks guys.

This bus is for sale on eBay. Two days left. Not a sales pitch but it looks like someone might get a good deal. I'd just like to see it go to someone who can appreciate it, keep it alive and slowly bring it into the twenty-first century. I mean, everything is nice, clean and works well but those privacy curtains are, Oh My God!

Lance Von Prum
Vancouver, WA
1957 PD 4104
Frank @ TX

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2013, 01:08:14 PM »

Does  Ed Gallant have the Stainless hinges for the battery door on an MCI-9.
What is his contact info ??
Frank
RJ
Former Giant Greenbrier Owner

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2013, 04:09:56 PM »

Ed's email address that I have is: edannbus@aol.com

FWIW & HTH. . .

Wink

RJ Long
PD4106-2784 No More
Fresno CA
Cary and Don

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2013, 04:17:08 PM »

Those steel hinges are even easy to install.  We did one half at a time.  That way the door stayed some what in place.

Don and Cary

1973 05 Eagle
Neoplan AN340
Boomer

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2013, 09:40:22 AM »

RJ thanks for posting Ed's email, saved me looking it up.  I might have his phone no. somewhere too if anyone needs it.  Ed's a good guy and I know he still has quite a quantity of hinges on hand.

'81 Eagle 15/45
'47 GM PD3751-438
'65 Crown Atomic
Vancouver, WA USA
pabusnut

P8M4905A-333 former MK&O lines #731

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2013, 08:31:10 PM »

Ed's hinges work as advertised!  Mine are now fixed right thanks to Ed and LUKE.

Some idiot tried to back up my bus with the electric cord out hanging over the bay door. He ran over the cord, and bent the whole door catywhompus from the cord pulling on it--and ripped the cord in half!   Shocked

Steve Toomey
PAbusnut
"idiot"  Grin

Steve Toomey
PAbusnut
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: