Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
July 24, 2014, 10:50:12 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: By clicking on any ad, a hotlink takes you directly to the advertiser’s website.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Alternator Questions  (Read 2727 times)
Buffalo SpaceShip

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2006, 12:14:34 AM »

What was the MPG of your old Buffalo, CR? Just tryin' to remember...   Now, we warned you "way back when" on BNO that 8v92 MC8 you'd been eyein' would burn more fuel. Wink

Other than slowin' down, check the brakes and make sure none are dragging. Maybe repack your wheel bearings, too. Decrease that rolling resistance.

The others posting here are right, the alt. load is nothing. And it's only pulling a load when it's charging, and it's not pulling a whole load unless it's charging a big load. These oil-cooled gear-driven alternators are awesome, so don't go parting with yours... or you might regret it. That thing can drive a 4000w Trace and a couple of rooftop A/Cs without blinking an eye. And won't pull neigh any HP when there's no load. Just a thought...

Yup... you can buy a LOT of fuel for the cost of a repower... or tranny swap... or diff. change... or...  Esp. at $2.50/gallon vs. last summer's near $3.50/gallon.

Just play another gig to pay for the extra fuel... enjoy Da Bus. Oh... And enjoy all of those "Show Me your T*ts" young-thangs in your audience.
bb

Brian Brown
4108-216 w/ V730
Longmont, CO
belfert

« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2006, 05:50:30 AM »

I have removed my commpressor for my air conditioning so I can have a place to put the two alternators.
For those of you not familliar with my bus it is MCI 8 with 8v92 DDEC and Allison 740A ATEC. I am currently getting 5.8 MPG and am desperate

I'm curious how you got an MC8 with a DDEC 8V92?  Wasn't the MC8 out of production before the 8V92 DDEC came out?  I've seen a MC9 on Ebay with a factory 8V92, but it was one of the last MC9s made.

Brian Elfert
captain ron

« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2006, 09:22:57 AM »

I have removed my commpressor for my air conditioning so I can have a place to put the two alternators.
For those of you not familliar with my bus it is MCI 8 with 8v92 DDEC and Allison 740A ATEC. I am currently getting 5.8 MPG and am desperate

I'm curious how you got an MC8 with a DDEC 8V92? Wasn't the MC8 out of production before the 8V92 DDEC came out? I've seen a MC9 on Ebay with a factory 8V92, but it was one of the last MC9s made.

Brian Elfert
I am "CAPTAIN RON" I have connections. Grin
Brian, I am some what suspect of brake drag as they are some times difficult to release from park brake. The buffalo got between 7.5 and 9.5 mpg acording to where I was at. Flat roads or hilly country. I just felt I needed to upgrade busses. this one is sooo much nicer than the other one. Fuel mileage and bay space is the only things I miss about the old one. When I get to Tennessee I am going to work on my cruise so I can set the speed and try that. Unfortanately my foot weighs too much to control the speed manualy
Buffalo SpaceShip

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2006, 12:29:26 PM »

CR, I hate to say it, but 6mpg is about as good as you can hope for... probably. The new bus likely has three tons over your old one, one extra axle (two more tires of resistance), a bigger front profile, and almost 200ci's more cylinder displacement. Not to mention the slushbox.

But, you're right... there's more to life than MPG. If you like the bus, and it suits you, just fill the tank... and try to smile.  Roll Eyes

Here's some math: if you drive 25k miles a year touring (do you???), and fuel is ~$2.50/gal, the diff. between an 8mpg coach and your 5.8mpg one is about $3k. ~$3/gal makes it more like $3500. Is your new bus worth that to you? Might be... and only you can decide.

If it was all about MPG, we'd all sell our (fill in the blank) and buy an old RTO Crown. 10-14mpg, I'm told. Amazing...  Shocked

Alternatively, the "toterhome" RVs are built over OTR truck chassis and can handily get 10mpg... and pull a 40,000# trailer, if desired. All shapes, sizes, and price ranges. Some even have slides! Big Dawgs, for sure. Could haul a few Hawgs, eh?

Meanwhile, Hang tough! Burn that petro while it's still relatively cheap!
bb

Brian Brown
4108-216 w/ V730
Longmont, CO
buswarrior

'75 MC8 8V71 HT740

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2006, 08:36:27 PM »

Hello Captain R.

There's some dollars in bb's post. If it pays, swap out for a tall differential to get the RPM down. Someone should give you some cash for your good take-out.

On another front, how much fuel is getting burned doing nothing?
How much idling?
Unneccesary generator use?
Ruthlessly get those engines shut off when they aren't doing real work.
Air up the bus using an electric compressor instead of the big diesel.

Moderate throttle use on take-off. Use a little more road to get up to speed. The huge losses in economy in an automatic are in launch from stop and up until the torque converter locks up in 2nd

I doubt you have a dragging brake. It would have shown itself by smoking or stinking. If you want to ensure a clean parking brake release, see if the coach will roll freely by itself after parking brake release. I'm assuming you are making a hard service brake application as you push in the button? To feel good, shoot the drums with an IR gun, looking for even heats side to side on each axle.

happy coaching!
buswarrior

Frozen North, Greater Toronto Area
Homegrowndiesel
Vegetable oil, Rudolf Diesel's original fuel

73-05 Eagle

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: November 30, 2006, 08:51:19 PM »

Ok Ron
My Opinion.
Keep the big alternator, make your house battery bank 24 volt. 

Under item one, you can do things like make the bus more aerodynamic (a plane fuselage would be far more efficient that a flat nose bus, but who would want that?). 

Hey Oldman sax, I resemble that remark.  To each their own. Alot of good advise none the less.

An aerodynamic front works alot better than pushing a brick down the road. Without adding an overdrive & or trans, engine capable of dropping your rpm to take advantage of the changes you can only gain minimal mileage increases. (one of these days mine will need replacing) Wink Our Eagle Screams  @2350 doing 72 mph, should be able to save alot of fuel only cranking 14-1600rpm and doing 75+mph. ( Hey Santa I need a modern 4 stroke with eaton autoshift with that nifty double overdrive)

As was posted earlier, sometimes it's about the cool factor. Grin  
Go For the cheaper "Additives" best mileage per $ invested as well as previous mentioned "benefits".

Catch you later

Bill

Aerodynamic Eagle & MCI 102a3
captain ron

« Reply #21 on: November 30, 2006, 09:21:37 PM »

Cheaper to put another 12 volt alternator on as I have A 12 volt 5000 watt inverter that I don't intend on changing any time soon or ever.  Thanks for the advice and offer for help on the other thread also
niles500
Niles500

ROSIE

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: November 30, 2006, 10:39:17 PM »

Bill - No fair - us brick drivers haven't had the benefit of the NASA designed nose cone - You're like a 'Vette, look like your speeding ..... sitting at the stop light. You and Pat got the 'COOL' factor covered - Where is Pat?

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")  

- Niles
oldmansax
Tom & Phyllis

'82 Bluebird Wanderlodge PT40

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: December 01, 2006, 05:43:56 AM »

Ok Ron
My Opinion.

Under item one, you can do things like make the bus more aerodynamic (a plane fuselage would be far more efficient that a flat nose bus, but who would want that?). 

Hey Oldman sax, I resemble that remark.  To each their own. Alot of good advise none the less.

Catch you later

Bill

Hello Bill,

I have not ruffled any ones feathers on here for a while... Just thought I try to keep my reputation!

I was wondering how long it would take you to find my post. Grin Grin

Your bus is too cool for me..... I am too “stuck in the mud”

No  offense intended. Grin Grin Grin Grin

TOM

'82 BlueBird WanderLodge PT40 being rebuilt
Delaware

DON'T STEAL! The government hates competition!
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: