Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
July 29, 2014, 01:52:55 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: You can zoom in to make the text larger and easier to read.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Delco 50DN Worth the trouble?  (Read 733 times)
Miss Scarlett

Ignore
« on: July 05, 2013, 06:34:27 PM »

My belt driven alternator is leaking at the shaft seal behind the pulley. From what I read this is a common ailment for these alternators and replacing the seal does not last long before the leaks return. Since I have removed the bus air and don't have any need for 300 amps is it worth the trouble to maintain the big alternator or should I replace it with something smaller? I think it would be fairly easy to modify the 50DN cradle to accept something else. What are you guys doing?

Miss Scarlett is an Eagle 10 with a 6v92 and Allison 740
UPDATE: finished enough to use!!!- exterior will remain original.
-Dan
Boomer

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2013, 07:59:37 PM »

Go smaller.  DD made a nice little alternator mounting bracket that bolts where the block heater plate is.  LH (RH side facing the engine) cam pully will drive it.  Light, simple and cheap.  JMO

'81 Eagle 15/45
'47 GM PD3751-438
'65 Crown Atomic
Vancouver, WA USA
chart1

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2013, 08:18:55 PM »

I built a bracket to hold 2 truck style alternators and welded it where the old A/C compressor sat. I have a 12v and a 24v alternator.  12v for house batteries and interior lights and 24v for bus. Works great. You can get replacements at any automotive store.

1976 MCI 8
8v71/740auto
8" roof raise
technomadia

Zephyr - 1961 GM PD-4106-446

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2013, 08:27:33 PM »

Since I have removed the bus air and don't have any need for 300 amps is it worth the trouble to maintain the big alternator or should I replace it with something smaller?

You could use a large inverter to power your roof air while underway via the alternator. This is what we do.

Cheers,

- Chris

Cherie and Chris / www.technomadia.com
Full-time 'Technomads' since 2006 (technology enabled nomads)
Miss Scarlett

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2013, 08:38:07 PM »

Thanks guys...interesting ideas...looks like many ways to go smaller. I was just looking at a pad mount alternator online. The 50DN sits in what looks like a cradle that has a good adjustment system already. I'm thinking that if I make a flat mount in that cradle for a pad mount alternator to sit I could still make use of the current pulley setup and maybe even the new belts I just bought. I have to have the driveshaft/pillow block setup for the cooling fan anyway.

-Dan
Miss Scarlett

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2013, 08:48:59 PM »

Good idea Chris but when we were looking at how our bus would be used we decided to run a small generator for ac power while running. This is due to the fact that most of the time our trips will only be 2-3 hours away from home and then back a couple of days later. For now we will do lots of weekend trips. The cost of the battery bank, inverter and all just wouldn't make sense for us unless we decide to use the bus differently in the future.

-Dan
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2013, 08:05:41 AM »

Consider this-my rebuilt gear driven 50DN was around $1,100.00. You can buy a 160amp brand new truck alternator (Delco or Leece/Neville) for around $200.00. Hmmm-wonder which way you'll go? Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
Miss Scarlett

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2013, 07:48:31 PM »

That's what I was thinking. The comments here also have me thinking I can mount one where the 50DN sits now and if I need more juice later for battery banks/inverters etc I can add another to run off the cam pulley or even use the other driveshaft that used to run my AC. For now a 160 will meet my needs but its nice to know this isn't a decision that can't be altered later to add more capacity.

-Dan
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: