Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
April 19, 2014, 07:43:37 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: 500 Members as of May 5th, 2006.  Smiley  3,499 Members as of October 21, 2012 Cheesy

Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Little Honda Generator Question  (Read 1610 times)
jjrbus

MCI5C/N Ft Myers FL

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2013, 05:50:55 AM »

Now you have me thinking.  I have a Honda eu2000i that I ran dry and put away 3 years ago. Wonder if it will work when I need it? The LP conversion is something I should do.

I only have a gas weedwacker that I need fuel for so buying and mixing/storing ethanol free fuel and stabilizer and oil is cumbersome at best.

I now buy Trufuel http://www.trufuel50.com/default.aspx  appears expensive, but I only use 1 can per year.  This is the third year with the trimmer and no problems, so maybe worth while.
                                           HtH  JIm

Remember, even at a Mensa convention someone is the dumbest person in the room!

http://photobucket.com/buspictures

belfert

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2013, 07:03:51 AM »

A number of manufacturers, including Stihl, make premixed gas in a can/bottle these days.  It is expensive, but cheaper than destroying your small engine with ethanol.  This probably only makes sense if you use a quart or two a year.

Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN
Charles in SC

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2013, 07:22:49 PM »

I have a 2000 Honda that I have had about 12 years. Just turn it over and pour the gas out if it has much in it, then run it until it runs out the fuel system. If it is like mine it only holds about 1/2 gallon.

S8M 5303 built in 1969, converted in 2000
mike802

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: July 08, 2013, 06:24:23 AM »

On my motorcycle, before putting it up for the winter, I fill the tank with new fuel and add sta-bile.  Then I shut off the petcock and run the engine until it stalls.  Then I remove the air filter and spray wd40 into the carb inlet until the engine stops trying to start.  Sometimes it will run a little and sputter, but eventually the oil displaces any gas in the system.  I have been doing this for several years and it has worked well so far.
Don4107

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: July 08, 2013, 12:55:10 PM »

FYI I found that the HONDA 2000 unit shuts the fuel off with the same knob as the ignition so you can't easily run the carb dry.  The YAMAHA has a separate fuel shut off.     

Don 4107 Eastern Washington
1975 MCI 5B
1966 GM PD 4107 for sale
1968 GMC Carpenter
Lin

1965 MC-5a

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: July 08, 2013, 01:51:18 PM »

True, Don-- However one could disconnect the electrical shut off circuit in the Honda.  From pictures, it looks like it is very easy to get to the connector on the 2000, which is just in the lower right hand corner of the service panel (not as easy with the 1000).  Anyway, I was guessing that cutting off the air to he fuel tank would do the same thing.

I am a bit interested in trying one of the anti-ethanol additives.  I think I will try one in the Jeep.  I pretty much know how the car functions and the mileage it gets, so if there is a difference, it may be noticeable.  There are testimonials, but you know what those are worth.

You don't have to believe everything you think.
Don4107

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: July 09, 2013, 09:36:12 AM »

The best suggestion as above is to find a supply of non E gas.  Since I did there have been very few problems with all my small engines.  Instead of disassembling the carbs every spring they just fire right up. 

Last summer I ran my rototiller out of E gas.  Filled it with non E and had to turn the high speed needle in about 3/4 turn to get it to run right.  It always had the idle circuit plugged every spring even with stabilizer.  This spring it started second pull and ran fine.

The extra  cost is more than offset by the increased mileage.  I make it a point to only put non E gas in one of my suburbans so I can always siphon some for the mowers, boats, ect. 

Don 4107 Eastern Washington
1975 MCI 5B
1966 GM PD 4107 for sale
1968 GMC Carpenter
jjrbus

MCI5C/N Ft Myers FL

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: July 09, 2013, 04:24:54 PM »

Readers digest condensed version of my ethanol education. My neighbor said do you want this? Showing me a small gas chainsaw, looked like new.  Whats wrong I say and he says it will start but not run.  He says I don't care I do not have time to play with it.

I look it over and it is only about 10 months old. So I take it to the local dealer to have it repaired under warranty. 

Nyet says the dealer, the warranty is for defects in the product.  What has happened is the ethanol has ruined the parts in the carburetor and the fuel lines, so problem is not covered by warranty.   $50 repair on $99 chainsaw so to the flea market it goes.

Dealer says do not use ethanol in any small engine.  HTH  JIm

Remember, even at a Mensa convention someone is the dumbest person in the room!

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: