Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 21, 2014, 03:19:32 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: You will not incur forwarding fees when you are on the road.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Optimizing 8v71 High Altitude Performance  (Read 3354 times)
Lin

1965 MC-5a

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: July 08, 2013, 06:01:28 PM »

I am definitely not an expert here, but it would seem that one has to have some confidence in experience promoting the best compromise.  There is no perfect injector and setting; it is all compromise.  This means that, in most cases, close enough is good enough.  You will either never notice the difference or adapt to using the machine as you learn its idiosyncrasies.  If one is unwilling to do that, your other option is to swap engines to one with so much power that you will never feel any issue and convert the bedroom to a radiator.  As mentioned before, there was a guy near here selling an 06 with an 8V92 (could that do wheelees?).

C&C, I understand what you are going through.  I have a strong tendency to want to define the very best option in purchases; especially high dollar ones that I will have to live with for a long period of time.  However, it is not as if you can program some algorithm that will adjust to every situation.  Which is better, 80 degrees at 50% humidity or 75 degrees at 60 % humidity?  At some point, if you have confidence in the mechanics doing the work, you will have to let them make decisions.  If you do not have any confidence, that's a problem since you will not be able to train them with second hand information.

I hope that this is not one of those shops that posts an hourly rate, a higher one if you watch, and a higher one if you offer suggestions.

You don't have to believe everything you think.
eagle19952

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: July 08, 2013, 06:40:10 PM »

Here is a factoid that might win a round of final  Jeopardy....
All Detroit Diesel engines nominal hp ratings are determined at 500' elevation @ 85*F.
 Grin

Donald PH
1978 Model 05 Eagle w/Torsilastic Suspension,8V71 NA, DDAllison on 24.5's 12kw Kubota.
Wants Paint Smiley
Previously owned by Wee Willie Ent.
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: July 08, 2013, 06:54:35 PM »

It really doesn't make any difference what is said here people do what they want to it's their bus and JC is probably referring to me about with the writing and it true I just don't take the time then I have Canadian friends I don't understand them 1/2 the time plus I never had to write and explain things a good secretary is hard to beat

I watched him get beat up when he installed high compression pistons in his 471 when he tubroed it all the experts said he was doomed I bet the engine is still running I didn't have a problem with it because I do it all the time then another DD guy may say it's crazy

My buddy Don Fairchild question me about the 20:1 on my 92 it's still running we disagree from time to time he is not always right neither am I but we remain friends if he doesn't come pick these engines up soon that will be questionable lol

My motto is  if one doesn't get off the coach and outside the box it's a waste of time  

Very few here do their own engine work so what's the point of posting every little detail

Don doesn't post here he doesn't care for it, Geoff is a sharp guy he doesn't like it either, Dr Detroit,Dallas,Cole,Andy and others are long gone what I am trying to say C&C ask 5 DD guys you get 5 different answers we all do it different  

We are finishing up a 8v71 rebuild I let Doyle do most of his own work including the injectors,valves,rack and governor I just check behind him he is doing good, the problem will be he will do it oneway the way he was shown by me

I should have stayed off the board but Lin shamed me into coming back and that won't happen again lol take it over Donald
« Last Edit: July 09, 2013, 06:50:28 AM by luvrbus » Logged

Life is short drink the good wine first
eagle19952

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: July 08, 2013, 07:13:27 PM »

Clifford I can copy stuff out of books and I know where to find my tools and service manuals.
and I can tell when some mechanic is bs'ing. I get what you are saying....people need to pick one horse and go with it to the finish.
you keep doing what your doing ... Wink
and i'll keep using K&N FILTERS.... Shocked
I will say that running a 2 screw rack is an art well learned...but every time I lost my favorite big fisted stubby screw driver I had to re develop my touch  Grin.....and I never could balance the bounce of each control rack with anything but my finger...and as I rotate a rack I watched for the ball to lift and rotate each rack simultaneously...before I start tho I was taught it's best toloosen and free up the balls in the rack stands and oil them.
I used a buck knife or o pipefitters welding wedge spacer to spread the stands....
like you say everyonre is different.

Donald PH
1978 Model 05 Eagle w/Torsilastic Suspension,8V71 NA, DDAllison on 24.5's 12kw Kubota.
Wants Paint Smiley
Previously owned by Wee Willie Ent.
technomadia

Zephyr - 1961 GM PD-4106-446

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: July 08, 2013, 07:16:07 PM »

At some point, if you have confidence in the mechanics doing the work, you will have to let them make decisions.  If you do not have any confidence, that's a problem since you will not be able to train them with second hand information.

I'm not digging up information to second guess the mechanics here - I am doing it because I am loving learning about the inner workings of our engine. It is a wonderful beautiful machine - and we are loving the chance to literally see and touch every single piece of it.

I love being able to actually refer to books, wisdom and experience.

As luvrbus said - five different DD guys might give five different answers.  It is interesting to learn how they came to their conclusions, and to learn from their years of experience. This is exactly why I love having luvrbus on the forums, and I love that so many other experts are willing to share their experience and wisdom here and via phone.

Learning about these engines is a blast - that is why we are nuts, right?

I hope that this is not one of those shops that posts an hourly rate, a higher one if you watch, and a higher one if you offer suggestions.

Actually - much to our delight this shop has been incredibly welcoming, inviting us to watch, and going out of their way to not just show us everything but to explain the inner workings. They love that we are so interested, and they encourage us to tap into other experts and they are eager to hear what we learn.

They have capped the number of hours on the estimate too, so they are not running up the clock in the process - and they even lowered their hourly rate & hours when they gave us the final quote.

And they have given us access to tools and equipment and help for tackling a few other projects while we are here too.

Overall I couldn't be more pleased with this shop.  They aren't the cheapest, but they are being extremely thorough, and providing us an invaluable education too.

- Chris
« Last Edit: July 08, 2013, 07:35:32 PM by technomadia » Logged

Cherie and Chris / www.technomadia.com
Full-time 'Technomads' since 2006 (technology enabled nomads)
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: