Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
December 20, 2014, 12:03:21 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: It will not get torn up or crushed if you back over it with your bus.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: kubota white smoke problem  (Read 2478 times)
Texasjack

Ignore
« on: July 08, 2013, 09:48:20 AM »

I was hoping someone on here could help me figure out the white smoking problem on my Kubota 4 cylinder ( V2203B6) genset. I use it on my Eagle bus, it only has 85 hours and bought it new. Changed fuel filter, ran clean fuel through it for 2 hours with injector cleaner added. Starts up clean, then starts smoking. Enough to be a scene. It has been sitting for the last 4 years. Oil is clean. Huh thanks for any help
white-eagle

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2013, 10:02:47 AM »

i'd say take it back where you got it.  with that few hours, it's got to be warranty fixable, and you might screw that up if you mess with it too much.

Tom
1991 Eagle 15 and proud of it.
8V92T, 740, Fulltime working on the road.

Fran was called to a higher duty 12/16/13. I lost my life navigator.
Texasjack

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2013, 10:05:56 AM »

Bought it 4 years ago, Has worked fine until 2 weeks ago..
wg4t50

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2013, 10:34:44 AM »

I would start off using a new fresh can of diesel fuel, run on that and add as much load as you can, see if it clears up in a half hour.  I have seen bad diesel fuel act the same way, one case it would not run on the diesel fuel provided by the fuel company, ran perfect on my standard diesel fuel I brought with me on the service call, ran fine on my fuel, reconnect to the new fuel, it started acting uo within 2 miutes, switch back to my fuel, all cleared up.
Guess why I trust few diesel fuel brokers.
Good luck
Dave M

MCI7 20+ Yrs
Foretravel w/ISM500
WG4T CW for over 50 wpm for ever.
Central Virginia
bobofthenorth

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2013, 11:00:39 AM »

Does the rad pressure up immediately when you start the engine?  Is it using coolant?  When it starts clean & then smokes that sounds like coolant to me.  Especially so if it came on all of a sudden.

R.J.(Bob) Evans
1981 Prevost 8-92, 10 spd
My website
Our weblog
Simply growing older is not the same as living.
Texasjack

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2013, 11:34:32 AM »

Pressure up immediately? I assume so.. Distilled water and coolent. You mean like a head gasket?
bobofthenorth

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2013, 12:15:02 PM »

Assuming won't help with troubleshooting.   A cold engine should not have pressure in these rad.  Don't assume - check it.  Mike Lutestanski says "you get what you inspect, not what you expect". And the point of the coolant question was whether coolant is disappearing from the rad.

R.J.(Bob) Evans
1981 Prevost 8-92, 10 spd
My website
Our weblog
Simply growing older is not the same as living.
Texasjack

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2013, 12:27:09 PM »

So there should be no pressure on the cooling system when cool? ok, just didnt understand the question. Ran her yesterday, will check. Seems crazy a water leak into the combustion. I hope not...
johnjem
http://photobucket.com/johnsgmc4905

1970 gmc 4905

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2013, 04:06:23 PM »

I have run into that same problem,make sure the magnetic actuator fuel shut off is in the wide open postion not half way,If it is only half way open then I would clean and adjust ,I hope I helped.john 

Never stop thinking,it"s what keeps us going till tomorrow
http://photobucket.com/johnsgmc4905
Geoff

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2013, 05:47:11 PM »

Remove the exhaust manifold and see which clyinder is the problem.  I dought it is all of them.  Then you have to remove the head and see what the problem is.  White smoke on a diesel engine with high compression means something broke and the white smoke is unburned diesel, not coolant.

Of course, you have to know what you are working on.  Otherwise, take your chances on a dealer.

I do this almost everyday.  That is, troubleshoot, not take my chances on a youngster woking at an RV repair shop.

--Geoff

Geoff
'82 RTS AZ
Texasjack

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2013, 04:53:11 AM »

Couldnt it just be a bad injector?
eagle19952

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2013, 06:03:54 AM »

Couldnt it just be a bad injector?

Not likely,  crack an inj. line at the pump, (engine running), one at a time, if each crack makes it sound/run worse...the cylinder/injector are GOOD,  no change then you have found the bad hole....
my guess is a cracked head.

Donald PH
1978 Model 05 Eagle w/Torsilastic Suspension,8V71 NA, DDAllison on 24.5's 12kw Kubota.
Wants Paint Smiley
Previously owned by Wee Willie Ent.
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2013, 06:21:52 AM »

One should unload the generator and run it a few minutes before shutdown to prevent head cracks as good as the Kubota is they will crack heads and that can be prevented 

Life is short drink the good wine first
Oonrahnjay

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2013, 06:43:52 AM »

One should unload the generator and run it a few minutes before shutdown to prevent head cracks as good as the Kubota is they will crack heads and that can be prevented  

I do that with my VW TDI and my bus engine if I've pulled directly off the highway but I never thought to do that with my generator.  Thanks for that info, Clifford.  Is just a smooth idle for a few minutes the right thing?    Thanks.

Bruce H; Wallace (near Wilmington) NC
1976 Daimler (British) Double-Decker Bus; 34' long
6-cyl, 4-stroke, Leyland O-680 engine

(New Email -- brucebearnc@ (theGoogle gmail place) .com)
opus

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2013, 09:02:53 AM »

What does the smoke smell like?  Raw fuel, coolant?

1995 BB All-American - A Transformation.
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: