Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
September 21, 2014, 07:11:53 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: The dog will not eat it.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: FYI Sams 8D Batteries  (Read 2242 times)
chessie4905

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2013, 09:01:50 AM »

Tom, you're right that they are the best for a constant coach user, but most likely most of us don't use a coach enough(yet) to invest in such great batteries.Once I, We experience what a nuisance wet cells can be, we'll probably consider them.
  BTW, what about large or huge Li-Ion down the road or Ni-Mh when they might be affordable, if ever?

GMC h8h 649#028
Pennsylvania-central
qayqayt

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2013, 09:56:33 AM »

I've learned that not all battery suppliers are equal.  Some stores have a consistent supplier, some suppliers even manufacture their own batteries.  Some buy them from China and get the cheapest they can find, then put their own stickers on them.  We bought 3 Group 31's for a trolley coach in our museum fleet.  After shopping around for the best price, we bought from a local supplier.  The 3 batteries looked identical, but one was noticeably lighter in weight.  Too early to tell if that one was inferior, but I have my suspicions.

Bryan

Bryan
Vancouver BC
GM PD-4108
Lin

1965 MC-5a

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2013, 10:16:29 AM »

Chessie-- While it is true that we don't really need a 50DN alternator, it is good to have something.  Our coach does not have the 50DN, but has a small 24v, 45 amp, one wire alternator run off the pulleys behind the engine.  It is not particularly expensive and any good auto electric shop can make one up or repair it.

You don't have to believe everything you think.
wg4t50

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2013, 12:18:32 PM »

Our business moves. Over 300 batteries a year,  the single large issue, that is the date info,

A battery over 60 days old should be avoided.
Dave M

MCI7 20+ Yrs
Foretravel w/ISM500
WG4T CW for over 50 wpm for ever.
Central Virginia
chessie4905

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2013, 04:13:57 PM »

I'm not planning to use the coach without an alternator, unfortunately the previous owner was talked into leaving it off, probably from wrong camshaft and engine repair facility didn't want to eat the labor to correct it on a reman engine. (speculation now till I actually check it in a couple of weeks.) If it needs different cam, I'll spend the money to correct as it was a dumb decision.

GMC h8h 649#028
Pennsylvania-central
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: July 12, 2013, 10:15:17 PM »

By the way-the AGM battery is exactly what a sometime user should use. AGM batteries have a very low discharge rate and can be charged very fast as long as you don't over volt them. Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
belfert

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: July 13, 2013, 04:36:00 AM »

By the way-the AGM battery is exactly what a sometime user should use. AGM batteries have a very low discharge rate and can be charged very fast as long as you don't over volt them. Good Luck, TomC

I don't use my bus all that often and I finally put in group 31 AGM starting batteries in 2010 after losing two sets of starting batteries over three or four years.  I still have to keep a Battery Tender on them or they will go dead due to parasitic draws from the DDEC and other things.  They do seem to stay up longer when I am not on battery charger.

If I was doing it over again I would probably just have one bank of batteries for starting and house batteries.  I considered moving my house batteries down where the start batteries are last year, but the compartment was an inch or two too small for my house batteries.

Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN
rip

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: July 13, 2013, 05:40:00 AM »

I have 4 8d NAPA batteries that I use for starting and house that have lasted for six years.They are getting weak and finally need replacing.I checked with NAPA and their batteries are $200 each.
   Don
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: