Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
December 21, 2014, 10:33:27 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: New ownership began September 1st 2012!  Please send any comments to info@busconversions.com
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Fuel Prices  (Read 8734 times)
Mex-Busnut

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2013, 05:11:36 AM »

It's too bad I'm not closer to Tijuana, otherwise Pemex would be getting more of my money.

John

John:

I hate to disappoint you, but Pemex is selling diesel to us down here today at the equivalent of U. S. $3.44 a gallon, so you wouldn't be saving as much as in the old days. Early last year we were paying $2.97.

And in Tijuana you would be seriously risking your life with all the drug war-related violence. I use a Mexican-made 2007 Volkswagen Jetta TDI (turbo diesel) as my daily driver. Thankful for its consistent 50+ miles per gallon on the highway.

Dr. Steve, San Juan del Río, Querétaro, Mexico, North America, Planet Earth, Milky Way.
1981 Dina Olímpico (Flxible Flxliner clone), 6V92TA Detroit Diesel
Rockwell model RM135A 9-speed manual tranny.
Jake brakes
100 miles North West of Mexico City, Mexico. 6,800 feet altitude.
eagle19952

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2013, 07:53:16 AM »

I feel bad for the Canadians,  they come south and buy THEIR oil for less than they can buy it at home for!
                                        JIm

and they have a bunch of crude...I think Venezuela id where thr cheap stuff is.. Grin

Donald PH
1978 Model 05 Eagle w/Torsilastic Suspension,8V71 NA, DDAllison on 24.5's 12kw Kubota.
Wants Paint Smiley
Previously owned by Wee Willie Ent.
Iceni John

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2013, 07:54:48 AM »

John:

I hate to disappoint you, but Pemex is selling diesel to us down here today at the equivalent of U. S. $3.44 a gallon, so you wouldn't be saving as much as in the old days. Early last year we were paying $2.97.
When I was in Mexico earlier this year I saw that some, but not all, Pemex stations were selling two grades of diesel.   Are they two different cetane levels, or is one cleaner-burning or ULSD, or does one have less dead rats in it, or what's the difference?   Here there's only ULSD #2 for sale, but I sometimes wonder if different areas have different cetane levels or different additives to suit the local smog-nazis.

It's interesting that you have a MX-made diesel VW.   I saw very few private diesel cars anywhere in MX, and I've heard that in the DF you're actually not allowed to own a diesel car?   Why?   Mind you, to make up for that I saw several older 2-stroke Dina buses still in revenue service, including an immaculate Olympico leaving Toluca and a few newer ones in Cordoba.   Yeah!

Juanissimo  

1990 Crown 2R-40N-552:  6V92TAC, DDEC II, HT740, Jake.      Hecho en Chino.     
Behind the Orange Curtain, SoCal.
Oonrahnjay

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2013, 09:18:55 AM »

. I use a Mexican-made 2007 Volkswagen Jetta TDI (turbo diesel) as my daily driver. Thankful for its consistent 50+ miles per gallon on the highway.   

Me, too.  Except mine is an '03 ("ALH" - fuel pump engine, no "aftertreatment").  But mine is German-built - it replaced a Mexican-built '02 that a drunk driver totalled.  It's never been as good as the Mexican car was.  Fill it up?   15 gallons, good for almost 1000 miles.

Bruce H; Wallace (near Wilmington) NC
1976 Daimler (British) Double-Decker Bus; 34' long
6-cyl, 4-stroke, Leyland O-680 engine

(New Email -- brucebearnc@ (theGoogle gmail place) .com)
Mex-Busnut

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2013, 06:19:04 PM »

When I was in Mexico earlier this year I saw that some, but not all, Pemex stations were selling two grades of diesel.   Are they two different cetane levels, or is one cleaner-burning or ULSD, or does one have less dead rats in it, or what's the difference?   Here there's only ULSD #2 for sale, but I sometimes wonder if different areas have different cetane levels or different additives to suit the local smog-nazis.

It's interesting that you have a MX-made diesel VW.   I saw very few private diesel cars anywhere in MX, and I've heard that in the DF you're actually not allowed to own a diesel car?   Why?   Mind you, to make up for that I saw several older 2-stroke Dina buses still in revenue service, including an immaculate Olympico leaving Toluca and a few newer ones in Cordoba.   Yeah!

Juanissimo  

Juanissimo:

I really have no idea what you might have seen, unless maybe somewhere somebody is selling biodiesel (which I have yet to see in Mexico) I have never seen another grade of diesel except normal #2 anywhere in Mexico. And I have been in every one of Mexico's 31 states except Baja California Sur. (I have been to Baja California Norte many times.) Even in the maritime ports (I used to do translation for a company from Houma, Louisiana that rented tugboats and crew boats to Pemex) I only saw #2 diesel fuel.

On Mexican pumps there are only three colors:
1. Green is Regular Unleaded.
2. Red is Premium Unleaded
3. Black is diesel.

if the outside Pemex sign does not have a black strip on it, you know without pulling in it has no diesel fuel.

A few of the larger stations have added a blue stripe indicating they also sell propane for vehicles.

Mexico City (Distrito Federal) has no law forbidding diesel automobiles. In fact, my 2007 Jetta was purchased in April 2013, and had D. F. plates on it from new until I bought it.

The only diesel automobiles you will see here are VW Jettas, Boras, Passats, Golfs and Audis. There are a number of Nissan pickup models and Ford vans with diesels. I used to have a 1963 D-190 Mercedes Benz car made in San Luis Potosí, Mexico.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2013, 06:24:20 PM by Mex-Busnut » Logged

Dr. Steve, San Juan del Río, Querétaro, Mexico, North America, Planet Earth, Milky Way.
Jake brakes
bobofthenorth

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: July 12, 2013, 09:37:23 PM »

Exactly Jim.  3 weeks ago I paid $3.43 for dyed diesel in Port Angeles and was glad to do it.  Its a paying trip for me to run the boat all day to cross to either Port Angeles or Roche Harbour rather than getting raped by my local dealers.

R.J.(Bob) Evans
1981 Prevost 8-92, 10 spd
My website
Our weblog
Simply growing older is not the same as living.
belfert

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: July 13, 2013, 04:22:43 AM »

Me, too.  Except mine is an '03 ("ALH" - fuel pump engine, no "aftertreatment").  But mine is German-built - it replaced a Mexican-built '02 that a drunk driver totalled.  It's never been as good as the Mexican car was.  Fill it up?   15 gallons, good for almost 1000 miles.

You get over 60 MPG out of a TDI with ULSD?  I had a 2003 Golf TDI and the absolute best I ever got was about 45 MPG on a long trip.  Mine was automatic.  Most TDI owners I know lost significant MPG with ULSD.

Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN
Mex-Busnut

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: July 13, 2013, 05:17:56 AM »

You get over 60 MPG out of a TDI with ULSD?  I had a 2003 Golf TDI and the absolute best I ever got was about 45 MPG on a long trip.  Mine was automatic.  Most TDI owners I know lost significant MPG with ULSD.
Your problem was the automatic transmission. It eats fuel economy.

Jake brakes
belfert

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: July 13, 2013, 05:30:04 AM »

Your problem was the automatic transmission. It eats fuel economy.

It is still pretty unusual for a TDI with ULSD to consistently get over 60 MPG.  I find it hard to imagine an automatic would drop mileage by over a third.  A TDI fanatic locally said he lost 10 MPG when ULSD came out.  My Golf TDI by the time I traded it for a larger vehicle was only averaging 35 to 36 MPG which was tough to swallow with diesel often $1 a gallon more than gas at the time.  I think I paid as high as $4.59 or $4.69 for diesel at one point in 2008.

I imagine the newer 6 speed automatics do better.  I would buy another diesel in a heartbeat if they made one in a vehicle the size of a minivan.  On a road trip I can get upwards of 28 MPG in my gasoline minivan as it is.

Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN
Barn Owl
Roanoke, VA

PD4106-1063 "Wheezy Bus"

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: July 13, 2013, 06:28:53 PM »

Not just speculation, also the devaluing of the dollar has as much to do with this as anything.

L. Christley - W3EYE Amateur Extra
Blue Ridge Mountains, S.W. Virginia
It’s the education gained, and the ability to apply, and share, what we learn.
Have fun, be great, that way you have Great Fun!
Mex-Busnut

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: July 13, 2013, 06:43:51 PM »

I imagine the newer 6 speed automatics do better.  I would buy another diesel in a heartbeat if they made one in a vehicle the size of a minivan.  On a road trip I can get upwards of 28 MPG in my gasoline minivan as it is.
Actually: Volkswagen DOES sell a TDI in a passenger or panel minivan.

Jake brakes
belfert

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: July 13, 2013, 11:15:30 PM »

Actually: Volkswagen DOES sell a TDI in a passenger or panel minivan.

They sell this in Mexico, but not in the United States.  VW has discontinued their minivan in the USA which did not have a TDI.  The USA minivan was actually made by Chrysler for VW.

Tony LEE

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: July 15, 2013, 09:15:08 AM »

"Mexico City (Distrito Federal) has no law forbidding diesel automobiles."

True, they treat everyone the same - can only drive on alternate days.

Just to make you all feel a lot better about your US$4 a gallon, here in Iceland it is about US$2.50 a litre so just a bit dearer.

chessie4905

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: July 15, 2013, 09:20:15 AM »

Did their fuel rise in recent months due to the country's financial/debt crisis?

GMC h8h 649#028
Pennsylvania-central
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: July 15, 2013, 04:04:39 PM »

Mexico is the largest buyer of diesel from the US they buy 80% of their diesel from here they ship the crude here we refine it ship it back so the price is going to be close, some times they are slower on raising the price it eventually get there though then sometimes the price of fuel is higher than the US

Life is short drink the good wine first
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: