Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 30, 2014, 10:46:48 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: New ownership began September 1st 2012!  Please send any comments to info@busconversions.com
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: My brand new Detroit Diesel engine...or sanitizing a Facebook page...  (Read 2051 times)
eagle19952

Ignore
« on: July 11, 2013, 04:27:10 PM »

If they can get it on the Dyno, they said that would do the break in period for us. Otherwise, they'll be giving us full instructions.

serendipity says... we're going to Burning Man! Well, once the bus is rolling, that is.

Bonjooor... I found this on the internet...

Can anyone tell me if there is any dust at Burning Man ? how small are the microns ?

How could an 8v71 not be able to mount a Dynamometer ?

is it easy to sanitize a FB page ?

What is the break-in period off dyno for a DD 8v71 ?

if I have anymore ??'s  I'll edit this post....

Donald PH
1978 Model 05 Eagle w/Torsilastic Suspension,8V71 NA, DDAllison on 24.5's 12kw Kubota.
Wants Paint Smiley
Previously owned by Wee Willie Ent.
eagle19952

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2013, 05:28:29 PM »

If a Detroit Diesel engine is broken in at a higher altitude, will it have more horse power ?

If your final crank clearance is measured with the engine crankshaft up...will the clearance be correct ?

Which is meant to support the crankshaft's static weight, the block or the caps ?

Donald PH
1978 Model 05 Eagle w/Torsilastic Suspension,8V71 NA, DDAllison on 24.5's 12kw Kubota.
Wants Paint Smiley
bevans6

1980 MCI MC-5C

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2013, 05:33:28 PM »

I always figured the engine was broke in after the first full power pull but that's with race engines.  If you are measuring crank clearance the crank must be standing straight up on it's tail, or it will droop - that's the only way to get a solid measurement.  Now, measuring for a bent crank requires a whole different set of gauges.

Brian

1980 MCI MC-5C, 8V-71T from a M-110 self propelled howitzer
Spicer 8844 4 speed Zen meditation device
Vintage race cars -
1978 Lola T440 Formula Ford
1972 NTM MK-4 B/SR
eagle19952

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2013, 05:50:57 PM »

Let me rephrase:
if the crank is measured, bearing caps selected, installation commencing,would the outcome be best if plastigage or appropriate brass  stock were used to confirm oil clearance with the block rotated with the caps pointing up to the engine spirits or down ?
Or would consider this a wasted step ?
Or is this a step ?

is there a rotational torque spec for a dry crankshaft...pre lubed crankshaft ?

Donald PH
Wants Paint Smiley
NonHippieBus

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2013, 07:16:09 PM »

I get where you're headed.  But I don't understand why you are rattling people cages. 

Thought this board was occupied by an older thus more "mature" patronage....recent events have proven otherwise
HighTechRedneck
Global Moderator

BCM Editor

« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2013, 07:42:09 PM »

Thought this board was occupied by an older thus more "mature" patronage....recent events have proven otherwise

I agree.  And in general it is.  Unfortunately every once in a while there is someone who can't seem to "let it go".

Eagle19952 - The intent and target of your post is obvious.  Let's don't start that mess back up here.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2013, 01:08:19 PM by HighTechRedneck » Logged
HighTechRedneck
Global Moderator

BCM Editor

« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2013, 01:13:25 PM »

Eagle19952 pm'd me and explained that his post was meant to offer helpful questions that need to be considered, and a touch of humor.

The unfortunate fray that happened on here recently has left the newer, less bus engine experienced members, and the Moderating Team hypersensitive to things that appear to be belittling the less experienced members.

I apologize for misreading the intent of this thread.
bevans6

1980 MCI MC-5C

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2013, 01:29:14 PM »

I thought I was getting slow, I couldn't see anything "off" about this thread - except - where I come from, real engine builders don't use plasti-gauge to check clearances, they use those awkward and expensive inside micrometers or dial bore gauges to measure bores and compare them to journals, and an Engineers straight-edge to confirm the bores are straight (talk about an expensive piece of very straight cast iron...).  Unless you like working while lying down on your back, the block needs to be "caps up" - and putting a crank in dry is an offence against both nature and the gods of power...   Grin  Finally a straight crank installed with copious 40 weight oil in a true block with good clearances should spin with two fingers on a web.  It's a great feeling...

Edit:  I had a block come back once with the main bearing bores not straight.  It took me weeks to fix, and I had to because it was a very valuable block.  It was an Austin 1070cc block that I built a completely custom 1100cc Formula Junior engine with to fit into a 1963 Cooper Formula Junior car.  I had to make a new rear main cap for it, and since those caps are doweled to the block with hollow dowels around the bolts, I had to fixture and bore the dowel holes to within 0.0005" for diameter and location, and I did it on a standard Bridgeport...  Took a long time.  Bridgeports are not really intended to do sub-thou work and you have to really coax them.

Brian
« Last Edit: July 12, 2013, 01:47:09 PM by bevans6 » Logged

Vintage race cars -
1972 NTM MK-4 B/SR
eagle19952

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2013, 01:52:56 PM »

And really seriously I am trying by every tact available to me, after having gathered quips and quotes from around the net, to sincerely prod and cajole a realization of the peril one....ANYONE might encounter following a new engine rebuild with a 5 figure invoice.

here as copied from my conversation with high tech and hippiebus:
CUT and PASTE:

Yup its their coach and their money and their life...but anyone who would not make them aware that for the money they are spending, it is criminal too even contemplate taking that motor off the floor to reinstall straight to a dustbowl...without ALL the benefits of the dyno process.
Sure it is obvious that they are novices and are soliciting advice from persons who have had countless incidences of breakdowns and repeated costly failures...and pockets deep enough to endure..
So ignoring at will one who might have a suggestion...from 40 years of operational and repair experience just because he isn't in the top 10,and really the maturity of one who would ignore without some
response is who is childish.
So you really don't KNOW where I am headed
PS I am glad the thread was locked.
That was my point.
BUT as C%C head into the dust, hopefully with a better than needed and properly engineered air intake built out of approved materials and not galvanized stove pipe...they will possibly not kiss another motor good-bye and assuredly their warranty...(SARCASM)<so yeah I am definitely one whose goal in life is to rag on and belittle...>
SMH>Pass this on as you wish.
Donald P Hann

Perhaps I am not a diplomat, but I do care.
and hopefully anyone who spends that kind of money will realize the full life expectancy of their investment by demanding a dyno tune and run in.
or IIRC...200 hrs of at load operation <DD's minimum post major overhaul requirement> prior to subjecting their engine to the dust, a DD's worst enemy.

Having said that, many warranty questions can be avoided if the motor is run-in on the dyno.

Having made anyone aware of any potential pitfalls, I have accomplished my mission. Smiley

Donald PH
Wants Paint Smiley
eagle19952

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2013, 02:00:52 PM »

PS. To any and all old and new....
Please accept my heartfelt apology for my lack of tact, or poor approach to express my point.
I am a huge DD fan, and only tried to help.
PSS I lean towards the right and Eagle is my vice.

Donald PH
Wants Paint Smiley
bevans6

1980 MCI MC-5C

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2013, 02:31:10 PM »

"I lean towards the right"...

But do you dress left or right...  (which trouser leg does the tailor add relief to at the upper region?)

No one needs to know ( except the tailor), it was a rhetorical interrogatory brought to mind by a memory of a friend of mine, a British fellow of impeccable background who slid down into a particularly slim race car and when faced with the 6 point seatbelts asked "Do you dress left or right, would not want to get that part wrong in this car...".

Brian  (still not being PC but trying to make fun wherever I can)

Vintage race cars -
1972 NTM MK-4 B/SR
technomadia

Zephyr - 1961 GM PD-4106-446

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2013, 03:14:44 PM »

Uh.. wow.  

We are quite insulted by this posting.  

While we can see and appreciate the good intentions of the warning & questions -  why not contact us directly with the concern and warning, instead of quoting without attribution some short out of context replies to individuals found on our Facebook page (which are generally done from our smartphones, and not ever complete pictures) and quoting from private e-mails exchanged with others?

I fail to see how we are 'childish' for not responding to the advice we have received?  We have now talked with dozens on the phone, dozens on the forums, dozens in direct e-mail and hundreds on our FB page and blog. We have individually interacted with and thanked as many of those as we possibly can while still keeping sane in our daily lives. What advice is it that we have totally ignored?  

We're running a business, doing our own bus projects (did you catch our AC went out too, and yesterday was spent replacing it? And today we are grinding out rust on the roof?), trying our best to 'live blog' the rebuild to share and spending lots of time in the shop with our mechanics trying to soak up as much as we can so that we can understand as much as we can.  We're also continuing to field dozens of questions a day from our own blog & FB readers, to help them along their journeys into nomadism - our pay it forward gift.

If anyone feels that we have not appropriately responded to them for their advice, it is not on purpose - and we offer our apologies if you are offended by us for seemingly ignoring you.

We are simply overwhelmed with all of the advice that has come our way, and with everything we are trying to juggle - and trying our very best to wade through it all to make the right decisions for ourselves.  But we are deeply grateful for all of the wisdom so many have been willing to share with us, even though it usually directly counteracts every other piece of advice we have received from equally qualified individuals.

Why is it necessary to ridicule and make passive aggressive posts against us like this?

We do not see this as an attempt at humor, but as an attack.

- CnC

« Last Edit: July 12, 2013, 03:26:48 PM by technomadia » Logged

Cherie and Chris / www.technomadia.com
Full-time 'Technomads' since 2006 (technology enabled nomads)
Lin

1965 MC-5a

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2013, 03:34:05 PM »

CnC--Regardless of all the honest advice, useful and not, that has been forthcoming, I would agree that this is not at all a constructive thread.  When asking for opinions here, one is under no obligation to follow what is offered, and I see no reason that anyone should get upset by that.  It's just amazing that some have bitten into this so deeply that they are losing a balanced perspective.

Anyway, don't waste any energy on being insulted.  There is a Buddhist saying that goes something like, "He cheated me.  He robbed me.  He insulted me-- He who says this will not attain Nirvana." 

You don't have to believe everything you think.
technomadia

Zephyr - 1961 GM PD-4106-446

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2013, 03:41:34 PM »

Anyway, don't waste any energy on being insulted. 

We believe that a community should enforce standards of decency in discourse, and belittling and passive aggressive attacks should be soundly rejected and declared as unwelcome.

If it comes to it, we will just not waste energy here.

There are so many great people in the bus universe, and this is a great place to make initial connections. But way too many people have been driven away too.

- Chris

Cherie and Chris / www.technomadia.com
Full-time 'Technomads' since 2006 (technology enabled nomads)
chessie4905

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2013, 03:55:06 PM »

Use your ignore button as needed.

GMC h8h 649#028
Pennsylvania-central
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: