Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
July 30, 2014, 04:13:49 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: 500 Members as of May 5th, 2006.  Smiley  3,499 Members as of October 21, 2012 Cheesy

Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: U-joint part # ?  (Read 552 times)
Van
Billy Van Hagen

89' Silver Eagle 15/40 6V92MUI Boulder City,NV

Ignore
« on: July 12, 2013, 04:47:37 AM »

I've gotta replace my u-joints and need the Spicer part number so I can search on the internet.  There's a marking of "HA 4" on one line of the casting then a "62" on the next line, any help will be much appreciated. thanks y'all  Smiley
 Van

If you are not living on the edge, then you're takin' up too much space!!!
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2013, 08:16:07 AM »

Just remove the Ujoints and take them to either a NAPA or any big truck dealer to match them up. It's the only real way to be sure. There are too many different types of Ujoints made to take a chance of ordering them on line. Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
boxcarOkie

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2013, 08:19:02 AM »

I've gotta replace my u-joints and need the Spicer part number so I can search on the internet.  There's a marking of "HA 4" on one line of the casting then a "62" on the next line, any help will be much appreciated. thanks y'all  Smiley
 Van

Talk to Doyle I think he had to do his.  I did mine in 2010 but have misplaced the paperwork on them.  Did the NAPA thing as Tom was saying, not all that bad.  Every time I use the Internet they send me the wrong stuff, kind of burned out on them.

BCO
[CTA]

luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2013, 09:17:09 AM »

He found the u joint's in case other Eagle  owners want to make a note they are 1710 full circle Doyle found his cheaper at Car Quest than the internet fwiw
« Last Edit: July 12, 2013, 05:16:07 PM by luvrbus » Logged

Live each day like it was your last,one day it will be
Van
Billy Van Hagen

89' Silver Eagle 15/40 6V92MUI Boulder City,NV

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2013, 05:07:32 PM »

Yup I have always preferred the feely touchy approach myself Wink thanks Tom and all for your responses and thank you BCM! Smiley

If you are not living on the edge, then you're takin' up too much space!!!
B_K

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2013, 04:09:54 PM »

Van,
Glad you found them.
I had no useful info for ya but I did have a funny story about Eagle's & U-joints.

Back when I first started working on my uncle's buses for him he had 4 Eagles and 3 MCI's. (he was at one time an ALL Eagle man but was phasing them out after they quit building them)

Anyway he had one that needed the u-joints in the shaft from the miter box to the A/C compressor replaced.
So I asked him if he had any spares on hand or a part # where I could order them.
His response was "Just go to NAPA an tell then you need u-joints for a 454 Chevy."
I said "Do what? It ain't that easy, they are gonna ask what yr, model, and yada yada yada!"
He said "No really that's what they Dale me the last time I had him replace them. Next time just ask for 454 Chevy u-joints!"

So I did what he said (of course I took one with me wrapped up in a shop rag in my back pocket with me)

So I walk in the local NAPA and John says "What can I help ya with today Bryce?"
So I told him I needed a i-joint for a 454 Chevy.
He laughed asked "What yr, & what kind of Chevy?" (jest like I knew he would!)
So I told him "I dunno Robert just told me to ask for u-joints for a 454 Chevy!"
So he laughs and just for kicks an giggles he looks in his computer for Chevy's with 454's and finds that between all the different Chevy's there are 7 different u-joints listed.
So I finally said "Well here (pulling the one out of my back pocket and sitting it on the counter) would it be easier to just match this one up?"
He looked at me with a disgusted look and said "Well of course it would."
Then he measured it and compared specs on all7 of the ones he found listed. And NONE of them were the same as what I had brought in.
So he did compare until he found me some that matched up.

Just as we where finishing up the other counter guy Ray asked "where did he get that they were for a 454 Chevy?"
I told them that was what he said Dale had told him.
That's when both them and the owner of the store all broke out laughing and told me that the reason Robert had fired Dale (who had a shop of his own) from working on his buses and talked me into it and helped me set up my shop to do it in was that he was going over his parts bill and found out that Dale had ordered a set of "lock out hubs and charged them to bus # 80. (also an Eagle)
So we all had a good laugh and then they went on to tell me that "Dale" had just built an early Chevy 4X4 P/U for his teenage son and several customers had found strange parts on their bills that Dale had purchased on their accounts! (but apparently Robert was the only one that actually knew the part ordered wasn't used on his equipment!)

When I got back to my shop and went next door to Robert's office I told him what we'd discovered @ NAPA and he was furious.

BTW the way guess what engine the 4X4 had in in it!
Grin  BK  Grin
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: