Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
November 22, 2014, 06:08:53 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: You can zoom in to make the text larger and easier to read.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Confession first... Question second  (Read 1943 times)
Seangie
www.herdofturtles.org

And We're Off... Like a Herd of Turtles

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2013, 02:20:34 PM »

Hi John!

I recently had my starter rebuilt and before doing so it took a few turns and sometimes tries before it would start.  After rebuilding and replacing wires it starts up on a half turn of the key.  Id definitely guess starter here.  Trace all your wires out (labeling as you go) it takes time but after doing so it makes it much easier to troubleshoot and there is no more guess work.  Many wires I have seen on my bus worn through where the wire touches a surface.

Also - curious as to how easy it starts up once you get it going?  Does it run right off or chug up to full speed?

Welcome to the club!

-Sean

www.herdofturtles.org
1984 Eagle Model 10S

'Cause you know we,
we live in a van (Eagle 10 Suburban)
Driving through the night
To that old promised land'
4onFloor

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2013, 02:42:11 PM »

it starts up quite nice and goes to high idle within a minute.  

I'm looking for starters now... if anyone has one located in central Texas, send me a msg and I'll send you a beer.  Just don't drink it out of the box, put it in the freezer for a few min first.

It's too bad the one in Southbend is too far away. 
« Last Edit: July 12, 2013, 02:43:45 PM by 4onFloor » Logged
Lin

1965 MC-5a

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2013, 03:36:37 PM »

See if there are any auto electric shops around that can rebuild it if you can't find another one.

You don't have to believe everything you think.
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2013, 04:02:34 PM »

I love it when someone says Central Texas not like it a square mile but anyway if you are around Killeen try Kings, Car Quest in Killeen may have that starter in stock or can order it 

To bad you couldn't borrow one from Ft Hood they have thousands of the 24 volt MT 42 starters setting on shelf's there   
« Last Edit: July 12, 2013, 04:08:34 PM by luvrbus » Logged

Life is short drink the good wine first
rdbishop

'68 MCI-7 892T, 740 Richard & Missy - Texas

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2013, 06:08:32 PM »

John, I don't where your located but I have a ex

Richardtra starter. I,m about 20 miles N. of San Antonio.
Seangie
www.herdofturtles.org

And We're Off... Like a Herd of Turtles

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: July 12, 2013, 06:47:57 PM »

John,

I had mine rebuilt at an alternator repair shop.  They had all the parts and pieces and did an outstanding job and were done same day.  Cost me 250.00.

-Sean

www.herdofturtles.org
1984 Eagle Model 10S

'Cause you know we,
we live in a van (Eagle 10 Suburban)
Driving through the night
To that old promised land'
4onFloor

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: July 12, 2013, 07:43:10 PM »

Thanks for the great advice all!

I'm in the Temple area so I can check out Kings.  I thought about going up to Western Star or Freightliner too.  The Napa in Killeen says they aren't a medium truck shop, so they don't have any in stock.  There's a salvage yard south of Belton that has a few buses in their yard that I thought looked promising...

I'm sure there's a motor sergeant on Ft Hood that could part with a starter or two Wink

(p.s. NSA, I was kidding about that.  please don't monitor my phone now)

so far rdbishop is in the lead for that warm beer!
rdbishop

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: July 12, 2013, 10:02:18 PM »

John, I'll take $50 for this starter if you want it. Call me 1- 830-6 two 5- one 696. There's some good deals on E-bay also.............

Richard

I also have my wreaked 68 mc-7 you might find some parts you can't live without!!!!
4onFloor

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: July 13, 2013, 09:44:43 PM »

***Update***

Mr Bus runs! 

Thank you Richard for the starter, it was a tight fit, but it works like a champ!  The "new" starter is noticeably bigger than the original one.  The old one has four stators, where the new one has five.  The housing is bigger too.  Unfortunately the teeth on the new starter showed some serious wear on the leading edge, so I swapped the old starter's teeth in... kinda like borrowing dentures...  The new starter's housing almost keeps it from aligning with the facing on the engine but with some serious encouragement it's in there.  I also had to swap out the dog gear housing on the tip of the starter, the new one was a few thousands too big.  Other than that, it was just the solution I needed.  It appears the old starter was fried to the point that it was grounding out internally and sending the voltage through the engine block.

Big thanks to everyone for your input!

John
rdbishop

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: July 13, 2013, 11:41:48 PM »

Glad you got Mr . Bus going. Sorry it didn't go easy, it did come off a 8-92. Maybe someone can tell us the difference..........Really enjoyed the visit. you need come again soon.........

Richard
zubzub

'53 4104. Roadworthy but rough around the edges.

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: July 14, 2013, 01:25:45 PM »

Glad you got your starter sorted still FWIW your engine should still be grounded properly so that various gages etc work properly.  A hot wire from the the oil pressure sensor to the chassis is not how that is usually done.  Most engines have a ground strap somewhere, and they get neglected.... not hard to invent one if yours is gone.

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: