Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
September 20, 2014, 06:59:26 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: It takes up much less space in your bus.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Selling a Bus in Canada  (Read 429 times)
redbus

Ignore
« on: July 19, 2013, 08:19:17 PM »

I have got a person from Canada interested in my Bus but due to personal problems cannot come to the States to pick it up.
He is willing to pay expenses for me to deliver it which is fine with me but will I have trouble getting across the border to sell it. I think that I have heard in the past that Canada does not like old Busses. What do you think I should do???

Terry
"Far away there in the sunshine are my highest aspirations. I may not reach them, but I can look up and see their beauty, Believe in them, and try to follow them." ~Louisa May Alcott~
www.awayweare.blogspot.com/
wildbob24

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2013, 09:47:48 PM »

Here's a couple of links to previous threads on this subject to get you started:

http://www.busconversions.com/bbs/index.php?topic=18780.15

http://busnut.com/forum/index.php/topic,864.msg8425.html#msg8425

Bob

P8M4905A-1308, 8V71 w/V730
Custom Coach Conversion
Duluth, GA
zubzub

'53 4104. Roadworthy but rough around the edges.

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2013, 10:12:35 PM »

watch out.... delivering a  bus or anything  without at least a large  non refundable deposit could go badly fast.

bevans6

1980 MCI MC-5C

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2013, 03:09:09 AM »

This is the relevant document for importing a bus into Canada.  http://www.tc.gc.ca/media/documents/roadsafety/vafus.pdf   While there are always stories of people managing to import and register a converted bus, the rules are that it must be completely stock, as manufactured and with a letter from the OEM stating that there are no outstanding recalls, unless it is older than 1971.  There are brokers who do this for a living - My bus was imported by such a broker who then had it modified to meet Canadian regulations (mostly putting a speedo head on that read in kph, and putting a kilometer hub-meter on a rear hub).  It also got a sticker stating all the weight numbers in kilograms.  But I'm unsure what you need to do.  In your case you're not really importing it, the buyer would be.  I suspect you would have two routes to follow.  One is go to Canada with your bus for a visit and somehow forget to bring it home with you.  Probably a felony, definitely fraud, and it happens all the time, albeit with smaller vehicles and articles of interest.  Second is to get the buyer to do all the paperwork for you, meet you at the border or hire a broker, and do it right.  I@N tried, failed, and ended up taking the bus apart for salvage.

I really think the shorter answer is that you can't sell your bus in Canada, you have to sell it in the US.  Importing it is up to the buyer.  Delivery is a different matter.

Brian
« Last Edit: July 20, 2013, 03:13:23 AM by bevans6 » Logged

1980 MCI MC-5C, 8V-71T from a M-110 self propelled howitzer
Spicer 8844 4 speed Zen meditation device
Vintage race cars -
1978 Lola T440 Formula Ford
1972 NTM MK-4 B/SR
redbus

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2013, 05:20:37 AM »

Thanks to all for the advice. Sounds like I still have a Bus for sale but that's O-K. Better to not sell it than get in trouble selling it.

Terry
"Far away there in the sunshine are my highest aspirations. I may not reach them, but I can look up and see their beauty, Believe in them, and try to follow them." ~Louisa May Alcott~
www.awayweare.blogspot.com/
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: