Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 01, 2014, 01:16:01 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: It arrives at least two weeks before the First Class printed magazine.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: IPad info center  (Read 1343 times)
Gordie Allen

Ignore
« on: July 14, 2013, 05:08:33 PM »

I'm thinking about mounting an iPad on my dash to serve as GPS, MP3 player, State Lines app, and back up camera ( multiple) if feasible. Any ideas.  Has anyone done this. Would like a GPS app that would include mph, altitude, ETA, and approx fuel remaining.  Sounds like a package Chris and Cherie could create.

Augusta, MI
1956 4104
DD 671
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2013, 05:24:57 PM »

There are several selling that type software now some have the engine monitoring built in for electronic engines some don't 

I saw a neat one at a boat show that used a lap top or a Ipad cost was around 300 bucks

Life is short drink the good wine first
Gordie Allen

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2013, 05:27:17 PM »

Yeah, I saw some units at Best Buy fir in dash install, but they were like $800.

Augusta, MI
1956 4104
DD 671
eagle19952

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2013, 08:25:00 PM »

Couldn't you get that out of a wrecked newer Escalade or Lexus....no sense trying to reinvent the wheel..
technomadia

Zephyr - 1961 GM PD-4106-446

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2013, 09:11:48 PM »

Hi Gordie -

We're re-doing our dash & gauges this week, and one of the modifications will be docking space for an iPad for just this. We don't run our back-up camera through it, and honestly haven't looked into doing that to know how feasible it might be. But we do use the iPad for navigation, listening to podcasts & music, and running other travel relevant apps.

We've been testing out the Rand McNally RV GPS iPad app, and it's pretty good - on device maps, so you don't need to be online for routing. And it picks out routes based on your length/width/weight.  I have some annoyances with it, such as entering in destinations is a bit annoying - and so isn't looking at multiple route choices at once.  But I believe it has your other general preferences in it (if I remember correctly, it did have some fuel tracking features in it - but I didn't look too closely at it, as we already had our own system in place.)  I usually just end up using either Apple's or Google's routing tho - it's just so much easier.

- Cherie

Cherie and Chris / www.technomadia.com
Full-time 'Technomads' since 2006 (technology enabled nomads)
OneLapper

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2013, 08:13:48 PM »

Hey Gordie,

I use the iPad with a Ram mount for the GPS (Google Maps) and the speedo.  Both work reasonable well.

OneLapper
1964 PD4106-2853
www.markdavia.com
Scott Bennett
Scott & Heather MCI-9

Scott & Heather

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2013, 04:57:48 AM »

Gordie,

This has been done in cars and trucks. I've done some heavy research on it as I'm trying to set up a system for my Land Cruiser. Definitely subscribed to this. iPad mini is in my future for the Land Cruiser and a full sized iPad for the coach. Bluetooth doesn't likely ha e the range needed for a rear camera though Bluetooth 4 apparently does though I haven't tested it. My wife and I have done multimedia presentations using our iPhones. Mine connects to a projector and hers connects to mind is Bluetooth and he controls the slide presentation in Keynote using her iphone and Bluetooth. The range has been amazing so far. I've been in business level consulting and advanced networking for 8 years working with police, fire, medical, FBI Taskforce an government computer networks and we've put together some pretty awesome stuff including full toughbook stations and wifi in squad cars for the murder capital "Benton Harbor". All that verbiage just to say, this is a very interesting subject for me. Let us know what you end up doing. Smiley

Sent from iPhone via Tapatalk

Scott & Heather
1984 MCI9 6V92-turbo with 9 inch roof raise & conversion in progress.
http://www.scottmichaelbennett.com/p/our-bus.html
˙ǝɯoɔlǝʍ suoıʇɐuop ˙snq ʍǝu ɐ pǝǝu ʎlqɐqoɹd ll,ǝʍ 'sıɥʇ pɐǝɹ uɐɔ noʎ ɟı
Midwilshire

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2013, 04:00:37 PM »

We've been testing out the Rand McNally RV GPS iPad app, and it's pretty good - on device maps, so you don't need to be online for routing.

That sounds great.  That was my biggest complaint with the Garmin iPad app: one needs connectivity to calculate a route.  Lost in the wilderness with no connectivity?  You're screwed.  The Rand McNally app sounds like it takes care of this problem.

We started using the iPad for navigation in the cockpit of a Cessna two years ago using apps designed for this purpose, and the iPad is an outstanding (and cheap) replacement for paper charts and more expensive electronic navigation equipment.  If it's good enough for the airplane, it's good enough for the bus. 

And although none of the kids at the Apple store could figure it out, one does not need the data service activated in order to use the GPS chip in the iPads. 

I rather wish we had a DDEC so we could display all the engine info as well, but I can live with steam gauges for that. 

Michael & Gigi
1978 MCI-5C "Silverliner"
Tampa, FL
chart1

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2013, 10:52:51 PM »

I want one that tells me I am getting 20 mpg..At least I'll be happy Grin for 600 miles until I have to fill up again.

1976 MCI 8
8v71/740auto
8" roof raise
dolson

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2013, 05:38:52 AM »

What is the software that will display DDEC info on the ipad? The only one I am familiar with is the VMSpc from Sliverleaf but I do not think that that is compatible with ipad, or android at this time.

Doug Olson
Langley, OK
1992 MCI 102C3, 6V92, HT740
http://www.dwolson.com
Gordie Allen

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2013, 07:10:54 AM »

I want one that tells me I am getting 20 mpg..At least I'll be happy Grin for 600 miles until I have to fill up again.

Or run out of fuel!

Augusta, MI
1956 4104
DD 671
Midwilshire

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2013, 06:19:22 PM »

What is the software that will display DDEC info on the ipad?

http://rvtechtools.com/index.html

I have no idea if this system works, since I don't have ddec, but if I did, I'd be quite interested in exploring it.

Michael & Gigi
1978 MCI-5C "Silverliner"
Tampa, FL
edroelle

1998 Royale Prevost

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2013, 04:21:32 PM »

Hi Gordy,

I don't know whether I would say man-up.    But, ... most times I hired someone to do something, I was not satisfied.    I usually say, "I could have done that a lot less expensively."

We hope to see you (and others) again at the Back to the Bricks Bus Rally near Flint, MI, August 15-18.

Ed Roelle
810-516-9888
Gordie Allen

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2013, 04:41:52 PM »

Hey Ed,
We'll be there.  It won't be finished, but hope to be livable.  Backpacking in Yellowstone from Aug 3-10, so if not eaten by a bear, we'll see you on the 15th.
Gordie

P.S. this is the wrong post re. manning-up, but that's OK

Augusta, MI
1956 4104
DD 671
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: