Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 01, 2014, 03:38:06 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription:  It will not get lost in the mail.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Optima Batteries  (Read 793 times)
Lin

1965 MC-5a

Ignore
« on: July 20, 2013, 12:23:53 PM »

It looks like I am going to replace my 8d's with a couple of group 31's.  I intend to at least go with a sealed battery, but agm would be better, so when I saw a local deal on some Optima 31's, I was interested.  The ratings on these batteries are 900 CCA and 1125 CA, which is comparable to other groups 31's.  However, I noticed that the weight is only about 60 pounds while standard group 31's are about 75 pounds.  Since I generally take weight as an indicator of power, I was wondering if anyone has any experience that would help me understand whether the Optima's would be as good, better, or worse than a standard 31. 

You don't have to believe everything you think.
pvcces

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2013, 10:14:57 PM »

Since AGM is a starved electrolyte battery, how much lighter would it be, compared to an SLA battery?

I don't know; I just wondered if it could make up the difference.

Tom Caffrey

Tom Caffrey PD4106-2576
Suncatcher
Ketchikan, Alaska
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2013, 08:08:21 AM »

As to the starting batteries, most regular wet batteries are also sealed now. We have size 31 sealed batteries that are 925cca for around $85.00. AGM's are the best battery, but also very expensive. Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
Lin

1965 MC-5a

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2013, 09:09:47 AM »

I may go with Interstate's refurbished batteries.  They are sealed, as TomC mentioned.  They charge $50., and I think there is a one year replacement warranty.  They will also pay extra for 8d's given as core.  The local store (not really that local really) says he sells about 1500 of them a year and they last about 2 years on average, most of which is in commercial and equipment use.

One problem I found with Optiima is that their warranty is only supposed to be honored though the original seller.  This does not make them great for travel.  I would think that there would be less of an issue with Interstate.

You don't have to believe everything you think.
chessie4905

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2013, 10:03:54 AM »

I have the SRM4D's for start and 24 to 12 volt use. We'll see how they hold up.I was going to get the Cat batteries, since that is what the coach had when I bought it. Both brands were maint. free. but the Cats were very costly when not on sale.
http://www.interstatebatteries.com/cs_estore/content/product_info/marine_f.asp

GMC h8h 649#028
Pennsylvania-central
Barn Owl
Roanoke, VA

PD4106-1063 "Wheezy Bus"

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2013, 11:05:03 AM »

I may go with Interstate's refurbished batteries.  They are sealed, as TomC mentioned.  They charge $50., and I think there is a one year replacement warranty.  They will also pay extra for 8d's given as core.  The local store (not really that local really) says he sells about 1500 of them a year and they last about 2 years on average, most of which is in commercial and equipment use.

Warning! Don't do it!

BTDT, completely wasted my money and time. I went through two warrenty exchanges and decided it was not worth it.  If you are selling and wish to kick the can to the new owner, then that's what they are good for. If you are keeping it, then buy new and take as good of care your batteries as possible. If you still think you will beat the odds, at least take a refractometer with you and find the best ones you can. This is a classic case of spending less now to spend even more later.

L. Christley - W3EYE Amateur Extra
Blue Ridge Mountains, S.W. Virginia
Itís the education gained, and the ability to apply, and share, what we learn.
Have fun, be great, that way you have Great Fun!
Barn Owl
Roanoke, VA

PD4106-1063 "Wheezy Bus"

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2013, 11:10:14 AM »

I may go with Interstate's refurbished batteries.

I almost forgot to mention this. There is no such thing as a refurbished battery. Interstate only cleans the case, puts it on charge, and if holds, will sell it as "Refurbished" to the gullible. Take some time and search for the used battery threads.

L. Christley - W3EYE Amateur Extra
Blue Ridge Mountains, S.W. Virginia
Itís the education gained, and the ability to apply, and share, what we learn.
Have fun, be great, that way you have Great Fun!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: