Bus Conversion Magazine Bulletin Board
October 23, 2017, 06:39:37 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: It will not turn yellow, get musty, dusty, and mildewed or fade.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: fueling problems  (Read 2793 times)
pete81eaglefanasty

Ignore
« on: November 30, 2006, 01:24:11 PM »

I was wondering if anyone with an 81 eagle model 10 or any other bus is having the same problem I am fueling my bus.  Ever since I bought my bus in 1998, I've had this problem, when refueling the bus, it foams and shuts the nozzle off, I have better luck with the smaller nozzles than the standard nozzle from the truck stops, even with both fuel caps off as directed by eagle,you have to go really slow to get full tanks.  I was wondering if the problem is from my 2- 20 gallon saddle tanks in the rear bay, standard equipment from eagle.  I have the standard tanks and two saddle tanks. I would like to fill my tanks in less than an half hour to 45 minutes.  Any suggestions my hand gets tired from holding the nozzle that long. Thanks.

Pete & Jean
                   Fantasy

WHAT EVER YOU DO, OR TO WHO YOU DO IT TOO, DO IT WITH A SMILE, IT MAKES IT LEGAL THAT WAY.
H3Jim

1995 Prevost H3-41, series 60, B500 Allison

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2006, 01:32:42 PM »

Although our buses are different, the solution may be the same.  Every once and a while I have the same issue with my H3, and from the board, there are others that have had this problem as well.  We have a flapper valve in the fill pipe /top of the tank to keep fuel from sloshing out.  From time to time this valve can get stuck closed, and it produces exactly the symptoms you describe.  I jamb a broom stick down the filler nozzle to "open' it back up.   Something to look at.

When its not working, I can't even get enough flow to leave the nozzle on autofill, so I have to stand there for 1/2 hour or more holding it.  not fun.

Jim Stewart
El Cajon, Ca.  (San Diego area)

Travel is more than the seeing of sights, it is a change that goes on, deep  and permanent, in the ideas of living.
edvanland

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2006, 01:44:05 PM »

Another problem you might want to check out is the vent tubes on the tanks.  I know the fill openings should be big enough so you don't have to worry about them but then again if the intake on the tank is restricted it could make a difference. 
I have owned motor homes for over 30 years and a bus for 5 years.  For the last 25 years I have owned and made my living rebuilding those same gas and diesel nozzles we like to cuss out and abuse when the price of fuel is high.  AS the price of fuel goes up the broken nozzles,because of abuse,are returned to me to be rebuilt so the high price of fuel hurts when I fill up but sure helps my bank account when they are abused and broken.
ED
MCI 7

Ed Van
MCI 7
Cornville, AZ
DrivingMissLazy

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2006, 01:54:12 PM »

Pete, my 80 Eagle experienced similar problems. It has been so long that I forgot what I did to help, but I think a air vent hose was kinked. I believe there was also a check valve for these hoses that was directly beside the filler nozzle. I removed the check valves and it helped. Occasionally fuel would come out of these hoses, but not very much. I always tried to fuel at a truck stop that had the second hose from a slave pump and tried to always fill both sides at the same. time. As i recall I could never turn the nozzles on full bore but it never took 30 minutes to fill.
Richard

I was wondering if anyone with an 81 eagle model 10 or any other bus is having the same problem I am fueling my bus.  Ever since I bought my bus in 1998, I've had this problem, when refueling the bus, it foams and shuts the nozzle off, I have better luck with the smaller nozzles than the standard nozzle from the truck stops, even with both fuel caps off as directed by eagle,you have to go really slow to get full tanks.  I was wondering if the problem is from my 2- 20 gallon saddle tanks in the rear bay, standard equipment from eagle.  I have the standard tanks and two saddle tanks. I would like to fill my tanks in less than an half hour to 45 minutes.  Any suggestions my hand gets tired from holding the nozzle that long. Thanks.

Pete & Jean
                   Fantasy

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body. But rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, a good Reisling in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming:  WOO HOO, what a ride
brojcol
Jimmy

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2006, 01:58:36 PM »

Uh, I could never afford to put enough fuel in mine to find out if it foamed or not... Grin

Jimmy

"Ask yourself this question...Are you funky enough to be a globetrotter?  Well are you???  ARE YOU?!?!

deal with it."            Professor Bubblegum Tate
gumpy
Some Assembly Required

Slightly modified 1982 MC9

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2006, 02:49:58 PM »

Foaming is a result of turbulence, not a venting problem.

Try using a medium setting on the nozzle, or try to point the nozzle so the stream flows down the side of the tank, rather than directly into the pool. May not be possible if you have a filler neck.

I try not to use the big truck pumps. I like the slower RV pumps because they don't foam so much, are easier to regulate when you get close to the top, and there's usually much less diesel on the ground to get tracked in. I use a bungie cord to hold the nozzle in place while filling since it has a tendency to fall out of the MC9 tank fill hole. While thats running, I wash the windshields and headlights, and if check the engine compartment and tires.

Works for me.

Craig Shepard
Located in Minnesquito

http://bus.gumpydog.com - "Some Assembly Required"
busguy01

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2006, 03:34:29 PM »

My 01 has the same trouble. I thought I was the only one!  I hold a max 160 Gal in three tanks. Not sure what was stock back in 63. The main tank and two smaller tanks high on both side of the main tank. I have workd on the vent several times and installed a new one but nothing seems to help except fueling at a rate of no more than 2 GPM. At any higher level I can get about 36 gal in before the auto shut off works. Then it is fill, shut off, wait, fill, shut off, wait. It appears that once the two smaller tanks fill is when the problem starts as injdicated by the 36 gal mark. It MAY have something to do with the balance tube that goes between tanks and some wried hydro lock effect that won't let the fuel into the main tank fast enough or let the air out fast enough. I do not know if mine is a std setup as it was like this when I got it. It ONLY fuels from the curd side!
JimH

Started with nothing - still have most of it left!
1963 Eagle 01 with Detroit 60 series done (Gone-sold!)
MCI EL3 in progress. raised roof & Slides
2009 Revolution 42 Sticks and staple
Summer - Yankton, South Dakota
Winter- Sebastian, Florida
belfert

« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2006, 05:27:10 PM »

My Dina has one large rectangular 150 gallon tank that stretches from one side of the bus to the other.  The fill hole is about 4 inches in diameter and I don't have problems filling up.  I can fill up in the tank in under five minutes with a large nozzle.  Amazing to see the $$ flying by on the pump.  Where else can you spend $250 or more in five minutes or less?

I do have problems filling my VW TDI all the way up and it is because of venting.  So, be sure any vents are clear and don't get blocked when the fuel level gets to a certain point.

Brian Elfert
gus

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2006, 05:39:59 PM »

I've said this before but it is worth repeating - some places charge more for diesel at the truck pumps than at the auto pumps. I don't remember why this happens or just where, but I discovered it on one of my long trips out west.

Also, most of the truck fueling stations are filthy from all the diesel spilled on the ground.

Someone posted something about truck fuel taxes but I forget the exact reason.

PD4107-152
PD4104-1274
Ash Flat, AR
DrivingMissLazy

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2006, 05:59:35 PM »

Arizona, I believe.
Richard

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body. But rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, a good Reisling in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming:  WOO HOO, what a ride
pete81eaglefanasty

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2006, 06:08:33 PM »

Thanks for all the suggestions,I checked the filler tube there seems to be no butterfly valve in the filler tube. The check valves on the side of the filler tube move  easy but they stay closed all the time. is there something that should be screwed   into it  to push the ball in to let air out, or should I do what Richard did just remove them. It doesn't matter what I do with the fuel nozzle or how I hold it, or how much fuel is in the tank, it always the same, or I may still have trouble with the venting tube as what Ed suggested, it's to cold to check now, it's only 24 degrees.

Pete & Jean
                  Fantasy

WHAT EVER YOU DO, OR TO WHO YOU DO IT TOO, DO IT WITH A SMILE, IT MAKES IT LEGAL THAT WAY.
edvanland

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2006, 09:56:21 AM »

In Arizona we have what is called light class diesel, means you don't pay the 8 cents heavy duty truck tax.  Most of the big truck stops advertise the heavy duty price, however at the light class it is 8 cents cheaper.  Most places that do not have a light class pump will refund the 8 cents if you ask.  You have to put down the licenses number, state, and sign but the 8 cents adds up.
ED
MCI 7 in Cornville, AZ

Ed Van
MCI 7
Cornville, AZ
eglluvr

The Quest is But The Beginning...

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2006, 10:39:45 AM »

Where else can you spend $250 or more in five minutes or less?

Brian Elfert

Brian, I can think of a few places......  But at least YOU drive away with a tank of fuel.....

C'mon  Red 21.............
Jim
akroyaleagle

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2006, 01:19:24 PM »

Pete, On my Eagle I had the same problem.

Between the filler neck and the tank is a rubber hose. It is surrounded under the fender by a metal covering. It collapses on the inside and restricts the flow.

Cut the small bolts that hold the protective cover on the existing line under the fenders. Throw them and the cover away, this is a dirt trap.

Remove the 3 bolts that hold the filler neck in. Save them.

Cut the existing clamps that hold the hose to the filler neck and the tank. Throw them away.

Pull the old hose off and take it to the hose supply house.

Buy a length of replacement hose long enough to use on both sides. Make sure the new hose is for fuel. I seem to remember I got mine from NAPA. It is sold by the foot and is not real cheap. Is anything for these buses? Also buy 4 to 6 good stainless clamps for each side.

Go back to the bus and cut and reinstall the hose and filler neck.

Repeat on the other side.

Good Luck!

Joe Laird
'78 Eagle
Sioux Falls, South Dakota
pete81eaglefanasty

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2006, 02:31:22 PM »

Thanks Joe, That sounds like a good job come next spring, And thanks to everyone else, We will tackle that job when it gets a lot warmer, a lot warmer.

Pete & Jean
                Fantasy

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: