Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
July 23, 2014, 02:50:25 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: It can be read on any computer, iPad, smart phone, or compatible device.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Painted stripes VS decals  (Read 1042 times)
chart1

Ignore
« on: July 21, 2013, 12:46:57 AM »

I just repainted my bus. Now I want to add a design or stripes. Pros and cons of paint vs vinyl ?

1976 MCI 8
8v71/740auto
8" roof raise
bevans6

1980 MCI MC-5C

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2013, 03:24:27 AM »

Depends on the complexity of what you want to do, to some degree.  Decals can be what ever you can imagine, in any colour, pattern, up to a whole body wrap.  Probable downsides can be cost, and they tend to have a longevity issue with fading, shrinking, and you can't touch them up.  Paint can last decades, can require more skill to apply unless you are doing somewhat easy stripes, straight lines, etc, and you have to know how to apply the paint well.  My bus has a large star with a trailing stripe on the side panel, along with a three colour accent that runs the length of the side, is painted, and still looks great after 11 years.  It was done in a pro shop, and the masking would have been trivial to apply, but I like it.  No "RV swoops and swirls", though.

Brian

1980 MCI MC-5C, 8V-71T from a M-110 self propelled howitzer
Spicer 8844 4 speed Zen meditation device
Vintage race cars -
1978 Lola T440 Formula Ford
1972 NTM MK-4 B/SR
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2013, 08:06:12 AM »

Vinyl graphic have the advantage that if you don't like them, just peal them off and redo them. You can specify a UV clear coat to protect and make a better shine to them. We have many trucks with vinyl graphics-highly recommend them. Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
Gordie Allen

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2013, 07:16:19 PM »

The best time to add painted stripes is before you do the clear-coat ( if you're doing bc/cc).  That way there is no sharp masking edge to the line, but if the paint job is recent, you can add the stripes and then blend another clear-coat over the graphic without doing the whole bus.  Use "fine line" tape 1/8" - 1/2" wide to mask the edge depending on how tight any curves might be, and then a wider tape to back it up.  Much sharper line and smooth curves that can be as tight as you want.

Augusta, MI
1956 4104
DD 671
Hobie

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2013, 06:25:13 AM »

+1 on what Gordie said. 

Adding, don't make the paint too thick on the stripes.  Just enough for a solid color, no transparency.  The clear coat provides the shine and protection.  Another tip if you paint stripes and are not planning to clear coat over them is to have a pinstripe along the edge.  Either hand painted by a pinstriper or tape.   
Gordie Allen

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2013, 07:04:25 AM »

Adding to Hobie...
Also a contrasting pin stripe along the border of the graphic really makes it stand out.  Definitely would recommend this and you could skip the clear-coat if you wanted like Hobie said.  They make pinstripe tape that you apply bisecting the graphics border, then brush (no additional masking required) or spray (much more masking) the pinstripe.  Pull of the tape and you have a perfect line.

Augusta, MI
1956 4104
DD 671
travelingfools

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2013, 09:38:33 AM »

Am in the middle of striping as we speak... When we went to talk to the vinyl sticker folks, they said there would be seams that would either butt joint or overlap. Ive seen that and didn't like the look... The other issue was where the graphics go over the rivets, they said that eventually the vinyl would shrink and crack... The lady in their office took me aside and said if it was her bus, she'd have the graphics painted on.

I made a bunch of phone calls trying to find someone to paint and ended up talking to our local high school art teacher. He recommended a student who just graduated and was interested in a career doing just what I wanted done. We met and she agreed to do the job...

Here is her work so far..everything has been done free hand except the long stripes she taped off...

John P, Lewiston NY   1987 MC 9 ...ex NJT
Cary and Don

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2013, 05:39:49 PM »

That looks really good. Very classy.

Don and Cary

1973 05 Eagle
Neoplan AN340
chart1

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2013, 12:40:43 AM »

That is very nice and looks clean she done a great job!!!

1976 MCI 8
8v71/740auto
8" roof raise
Gordie Allen

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2013, 05:08:48 PM »

You can make a fair amount of money at a big car show, if you get really good at pinstriping.  Great way to pick up extra cash.  Tell her to keep up the good work!  I'd suggest you consider a 1/8th inch dark blue, dark grey or black stripe around the edge of what you have now.  It'll pop!  Here's my photoshop of what it would look like.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2013, 06:03:46 PM by Gordie Allen » Logged

Augusta, MI
1956 4104
DD 671
Jeremy

1987 Bedford Plaxton

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2013, 05:51:10 PM »

Am in the middle of striping as we speak... When we went to talk to the vinyl sticker folks, they said there would be seams that would either butt joint or overlap. Ive seen that and didn't like the look... The other issue was where the graphics go over the rivets, they said that eventually the vinyl would shrink and crack... The lady in their office took me aside and said if it was her bus, she'd have the graphics painted on.

I made a bunch of phone calls trying to find someone to paint and ended up talking to our local high school art teacher. He recommended a student who just graduated and was interested in a career doing just what I wanted done. We met and she agreed to do the job...

Here is her work so far..everything has been done free hand except the long stripes she taped off...

Was the girl who did the design Punjabi by any chance? The graphic on the rear immediately puts me in mind of the Khanda symbol you see on Sikh temples, and the graphic on the side is quite Arabesque too

Jeremy

A shameless plug for my business - visit www.magazineexchange.co.uk for back issue magazines - thousands of titles covering cars, motorbikes, aircraft, railways, boats, modelling etc. You'll find lots of interest, although not much covering American buses sadly.
Kwajdiver
MCI-9 "Kwaj Diver"

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2013, 06:19:28 PM »

Decal or paint can you tell the differents from 30ft.  This is vinyl cost about $850.00 in Floirda.  Took less than 90 minutes to apply.

Auburndale, Florida
MCI-9
V-6-92 Detroit, Allison 5 spd auto
Kwajalein Atoll, RMI
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: