Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
August 30, 2014, 03:19:22 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: It will not be stolen by your mailman or your neighbor who also may be into buses.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Electrical Question  (Read 551 times)
Miss Scarlett

Ignore
« on: July 24, 2013, 08:37:34 PM »

Because of the way I plan to use my bus it will seldom see a 30 or 50 amp circuit for hookups and will generally have to make do with a standard 15 amp service. If I need to at times I might track down 2 circuits where we will stay and plug a cord into each of them. Because of this I decided to wire the bus using 2 completely separate 15 amp circuits. Each one begins with a standard 110v plug that can be plugged into either shore power or generator. Next, each circuit has it's own breaker box. One breaker box then powers some lights and plugs on one circuit and the other runs a small ac unit.

The generator is grounded to the frame as is the ground from each circuit. I've used both circuits plugged into shore power while building the bus without any issues. My first question is...does anyone see any safety issues with this setup? Second, can I run one circuit plugged into shore power to run ac during the day and plug the second circuit into the generator when it is time to cook? Other than the ground going to frame they are completely separate circuits. Thanks in advance.

Dan

Miss Scarlett is an Eagle 10 with a 6v92 and Allison 740
UPDATE: finished enough to use!!!- exterior will remain original.
-Dan
Emcemv

1973 MCI MC-7 Combo

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2013, 04:24:05 AM »

Dan

I think you are OK as long as they are completely separate. Keep in mind that the 2 hot leads from 2 different 120v branch circuits could have 240v between them. You have all the grounds tied to the chassis which is good, what about the neutral wires? Are they tied to ground in your breaker boxes or do they pass through from the plug cords?

Bruce

Bruce & Nancy Fagley
1973 MCI MC-7 Combo Freighter
450HP DD 8V-92T 2000 Reman
HT 740 Allison
Woodbury CT.
bevans6

1980 MCI MC-5C

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2013, 05:06:14 AM »

I agree with Bruce.  Grounds all bonded to chassis, including the generator, and neutral to ground bonds supplied by the source only.  While it's indeed possible to get both sides of the phase when plugged into different outlets it should never be an issue.  The change that I would make is to designate one plug your primary one and upgrade it to a 10 gauge cord with a TT plug, only so that if you ever get to a park with a higher amp outlet you could take advantage.  On the other hand if you don't have the load to use the higher amperage it's kind of moot.  It's common in many parks to have a pedestal with a 30 amp and a 20 amp outlet both on separate breakers so with your approach you could have 50 amps in total.

Brian

1980 MCI MC-5C, 8V-71T from a M-110 self propelled howitzer
Spicer 8844 4 speed Zen meditation device
Vintage race cars -
1978 Lola T440 Formula Ford
1972 NTM MK-4 B/SR
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2013, 05:24:10 AM »

You are fine Country Coach used a similar hook up like that for years 

Life is short drink the good wine first
Miss Scarlett

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2013, 06:03:46 AM »

Thanks guys! Expert opinions are what I needed and that's always what I get on this board! You guys are great. Bruce, in the breaker boxes I wired the grounds to the bonding strip and tied the neutrals together with wire nuts reinforced with electrical tape.

Brian, I thought about using an adapter cord I saw that has a 30 amp male plug and 2 15 amp female plugs. This would allow me to hook up to 30 when available or get 30 out of my generator but still allow me to keep both of my 15 amp plugs just in case I need to go that way. I bought some 10 gauge wire yesterday. Sound ok?

Miss Scarlett is an Eagle 10 with a 6v92 and Allison 740
UPDATE: finished enough to use!!!- exterior will remain original.
-Dan
Len Silva

Angle Parked in a Parallel Universe

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2013, 06:39:16 AM »

What I had on my 4104 was the second air conditioner on a plug.  I could plug it into the bus power when using the generator or when I had a good 30 amp service, on into an extension cord for a secondary service.  Worked well for years that way.

Hand Made Gifts

Ignorance is only bliss to the ignorant.
bevans6

1980 MCI MC-5C

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2013, 09:04:52 AM »

Brian, I thought about using an adapter cord I saw that has a 30 amp male plug and 2 15 amp female plugs. This would allow me to hook up to 30 when available or get 30 out of my generator but still allow me to keep both of my 15 amp plugs just in case I need to go that way. I bought some 10 gauge wire yesterday. Sound ok?

Yep, sounds fine to me.

Brian

1980 MCI MC-5C, 8V-71T from a M-110 self propelled howitzer
Spicer 8844 4 speed Zen meditation device
Vintage race cars -
1978 Lola T440 Formula Ford
1972 NTM MK-4 B/SR
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: