Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 21, 2014, 12:50:04 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This BB is intended for the sole purpose of sharing conversion and bus related information among visitors to our web site. These rules must be followed in order for us to continue this free exchange of info. No bad mouthing of any business or individual is permitted. Absolutely no items for sale are to be posted, except in the Spare Tire board. Interested in placing a classified or web ad, please contact our advertising dept. at 714-903-1784 or e-mail to: info@busconversions.com.

Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: OCRACOKE Island camping  (Read 927 times)
bansil

Ignore
« on: July 24, 2013, 09:45:53 AM »

Looking to spend a couple days on Ocracoke in Sept.

I see 3 campgrounds, the state park and then 2 that are in "town"

We would prefer one of the in town ones for power and convenience (no toad and no generator yet etc.)

both campgrounds seemed to have mixed reviews (drastic both ways and old dates)

we don't need a "resort" just a place to park our 35 foot bus and enjoy the beach and town

Thanks

Doug

Doug
Mnt City TN
 Member of:
LowTide

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2013, 10:52:38 AM »

Looking to spend a couple days on Ocracoke in Sept.

I see 3 campgrounds, the state park and then 2 that are in "town"

We would prefer one of the in town ones for power and convenience (no toad and no generator yet etc.)

both campgrounds seemed to have mixed reviews (drastic both ways and old dates)

we don't need a "resort" just a place to park our 35 foot bus and enjoy the beach and town

Thanks

Doug

We went through there this past year and I did not know they had campgrounds. Please let me know how they were or the one you stay at.

If you are not happy with the set up there, you may want to try Camp Hatteras....they are real close to the KOA. The place was clean, great friendly staff and easy access to the beach. I hope that may help some, Ocracoke is one of our favorite places besides Hatteras and Myrtle beach. The state campground at Myrtle Beach is real nice too Wink

Happy camping
Mike

Mike and Lori
Sunny Phoenix Arizona
"1973 MCI MC-7 Challenger"

"A nation of sheep helps breed a government of wolves"
niles500
Niles500

ROSIE

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2013, 01:15:32 PM »

Many, many years ago we stayed at Teeter's - more of a trailer park than campground - but is right in town - BTW that was on Christmas day - HTH

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")  

- Niles
Oonrahnjay

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2013, 01:19:49 PM »

How will you get to Okracoke?  (Which routes/highways etc.)  Thanks,  BH   NC   USA

Bruce H; Wallace (near Wilmington) NC
1976 Daimler (British) Double-Decker Bus; 34' long
6-cyl, 4-stroke, Leyland O-680 engine

(New Email -- brucebearnc@ (theGoogle gmail place) .com)
LowTide

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2013, 01:35:14 PM »

How will you get to Okracoke?  (Which routes/highways etc.)  Thanks,  BH   NC   USA

When we traveled through there, we came through Edenton on 17 to 13 to 64 then all the way to 12.....12 will run the entire length of Hatteras. If you want to get to Ocracoke, you will need to load the bus on a ferry and hop, then you can hop by ferry back to the mainland (Cedar Island national wildlife refuge) which connects to 70.

If you do decide to take this trip, be sure to take the early morning ferry. We took the late afternoon ferry and arrived just as it got dark. It was a bit challenging driving through the refuge at night as they have no street lights out there and it is a black as coal.

Good luck and have fun....we envy you guys Wink
« Last Edit: July 24, 2013, 01:38:32 PM by LowTide » Logged

Mike and Lori
Sunny Phoenix Arizona

bansil

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2013, 01:54:36 PM »

okay sounds like an adventure!

This is very open at this time and leaving after sept 8th should hopefully open campgrounds etc up and most tourists are gone

We plan to stay at wally world in Elizabeth city 1st night of travel(or close; full day of travel)

want to stop at wright brothers monument

want to camp on Ocracoke island

want to camp at Holiday trav-l-park on Emerald Isle (we like it)

will hit Top Sail beach to check out the new sea turtle hospital

want to check out cape fear/light house area

camp somewhere near ocean isle/Holden beach

very open plan we have 5 days 6 nights to spend starting at "Elizabeth city" before heading home

main route will be 12 (if it's still there) and hug coast

so we need to plan around ferry schedules etc.

If 12 is gone due to mother nature we will start in Beaufort area and head even further south

I have 2 days travel from anywhere down to Charleston so that is our "AA"  Grin

gosh that was long winded

Doug
Mnt City TN
 Member of:
bansil

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2013, 02:04:06 PM »

last year by car we did the cape lookout light house and everything between surf city north and base camp was emerald isle, we didn't have the bus ready enough to travel far

thanks for advise and keep it coming!

Doug
Mnt City TN
 Member of:
LowTide

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2013, 02:18:12 PM »

We plan on a return visit when we hit the road. I was born in SC but never returned once my parents moved out west in 59. We also have some friends we want to visit too and load up on crab, scrapple and boiled peanuts Wink

We stayed at the wally world in Morehead city....apparently it is the largest in the country and they plan on opening one out west. When we arrived there it was around 11:30 at night and decided to go inside and do some shopping, at first I thought I was seeing things....this place was huge and they sold everything you could imagine.

The prices were cheaper than out west, they is for sure. We are getting fleeced in Arizona....LOL

Mike and Lori
Sunny Phoenix Arizona

bansil

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2013, 03:46:59 PM »

Cheesy you said scrapple...love it a couple times a year...fried thin on buttered toast...99.9999999% of american has no idea what it is and 99.999999% of the people that do.....don't think about what's inside  Grin

Oh back to regularly scheduled programming

The ferry times and tickets v/s loads anyone have advise for 1st time multi-ferry users in 1 day on the crystal coast?

Is okracoke to cedar doable in a day as a hotshot?

Doug
Mnt City TN
 Member of:
LowTide

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2013, 04:38:14 PM »

Cheesy you said scrapple...love it a couple times a year...fried thin on buttered toast...99.9999999% of american has no idea what it is and 99.999999% of the people that do.....don't think about what's inside  Grin

Oh back to regularly scheduled programming

The ferry times and tickets v/s loads anyone have advise for 1st time multi-ferry users in 1 day on the crystal coast?

Is okracoke to cedar doable in a day as a hotshot?

The way I remember, you need to board a ferry from Cape Hatteras to Ocracoke (stay around for a little) and then board another ferry to cedar (Mainland). The ferry ride from Hatteras to Ocracoke is about 45 minutes and the on from Hatteras to Cedar is a couple of hours, maybe 2 and a half hours.
It would be best to contact the ferry system to make a reservation.

Here is a link to the information you may find handy
http://www.ocracokeisland.com/nc_ferry.htm

All the best
Mike

Mike and Lori
Sunny Phoenix Arizona

ArtGill

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2013, 05:21:17 PM »

Another thing.  You have Ocracoke Island which is 14 miles long and then you have the Village of Ocracoke, which is on the south end.  Most of the island north of the village is part of the Cape Hatteras National Seashore.

Art

Art & Cheryll Gill
Morehead City, NC
1989 Eagle Model 20 NJT, 6v92ta
mlh1936

Graphics By Turbo Images

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2013, 07:34:42 PM »

We camped there a few years ago. I can't remember what month it was. I think in the summer. We were chased inside by hundreds of horse flies. That was the worst I ever saw. We've never been back. I hope you have better luck.

1987 MCI 102A-3, 8V92, HT-740 conversion in progress.
Oonrahnjay

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2013, 09:49:59 PM »

want to camp on Ocracoke island
want to camp at Holiday trav-l-park on Emerald Isle (we like it)
will hit Top Sail beach to check out the new sea turtle hospital

You got a good plan there.  My dad was born about 5 miles from the western end of "Emerald Isle" (we still call in Bogue Banks); he was a US Congressman in 1976 and he was on a committee with Congressman Udall.  They were talking about the ocean and said we ought to make some of the beaches into National Forests.  Dept. of Interior said "you can't do that - National Forests have to be forests" so they said, "we're congressmen, we can make things that we want to" so they got a bill passed that authorized a new entity, a "National Seashore" and they worked with Dept of Interior to make Cape Lookout up to Okracoke the first National Seashore.
     In 1957, my grandmother (mother's side) wanted a place at the beach so that she could fish down there.  She paid $2100 for a 2 1/2 room house that the military had built after WWII, it's about a block and a half from the turtle hospital.  My brothers and I inherited it a couple of years ago and sold it last month for little more than my grandmother paid for it; we probably lost money based on inflation but it was a wonderful place for a kid to grow up in the summers.
     Yeah, you got a good plan there.    BH   NC   USA

Bruce H; Wallace (near Wilmington) NC
1976 Daimler (British) Double-Decker Bus; 34' long
6-cyl, 4-stroke, Leyland O-680 engine

(New Email -- brucebearnc@ (theGoogle gmail place) .com)
ArtGill

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2013, 09:13:57 AM »

Well, I must not have "posted" my first message.  !0 years or more ago we had rally over Thanksgiving at Ocracoke.  Don't ask about the weather.  We used Beachcomber camp ground.  It was on the main road an it was sorta in town.  Ocracoke you can do everything there is to do with a bicycle.  It a neat little town that used to be special.  We will drive to the ferry and walk over.  Then rent bicycles when we get there, spend the day and catch the ferry back.  Long day,  5 hrs on the ferry and an hour each way from Morehead City.  Do take bug spray because if there is no wind you're the only thing they have to feast on.

I have site with 50 amps in Morehead City that you can use.  It is right on highway 70 in Morehead City. 10 block walk to the waterfront restaurants.

If you can't stop, blow your horn as you go through.

Art

Art & Cheryll Gill
Morehead City, NC
1989 Eagle Model 20 NJT, 6v92ta
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: