Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 20, 2014, 10:31:14 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: You will not incur forwarding fees when you are on the road.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Dana Splicer manual  (Read 465 times)
tuccitown

Ignore
« on: July 24, 2013, 03:36:41 PM »

Any one have a soft copy of the Dana Vdrive splicer used in the GMC 4905 era coaches manual? Mine is the model # 7145-VX. I am looking for the oil pump requirements.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Jack

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
1979 GMC H8H649-053 Conversion in progress
tuccitown

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2013, 09:34:59 PM »

Let me fill in a little of the back story to my request and maybe I can get some suggestions for options. I'm working on my project bit by bit (not full time) and the current project is an engine swap. I have swapped the original 8v71 with a recently rebuilt replacement 8v71. I have just completed the swap with the addition of jake brakes and so far have only test fired it. No smoke on start and runs beautifully.

As I started to tie loose ends up and work to get it mobile I went to install the the transmission remote oil pump. This is where I found I have made a major foo-bar in my planning and execution of my solo mission engine exchange in my drive way project. I took it for granted that the transmission idle gear off the cam gear would be waiting to accept my gear driven remote transmission oil pump. When I removed the cover I was surprised to find that it seems the idler gear assembly is only installed when that drive option is needed and not default. Guess you learn something new everyday huh.

From what I can tell the idler gear needs to be installed prior to being attached to the block and before the transmission is installed. So for me to install it I will need to remove the transmission and could be a good weekend of work.

This brings me to the reason for this post, I had planned to have the coach ready to be moved on a very hard set date and the addition work to install the pump jeopardizes this date. I have entered into a home purchase with contingent sale of my current home agreement which means I have 5 days to list my current home for sale and my current project list to make that happen makes a weekend transmission removal job nearly impossible.

So as I search for options the idea I am kicking around and would love some opinions on is that I am toying with the idea of installing an electric oil transfer pump temporarily in the transmission oil circuit. I have found a pump that could provide 10.5 GPM with a max of 44 PSI. Would this work to get the coach the 1.7 miles to a temporary storage location and then when my new home closes the 4 miles to my new permanent location where I plan to install the gear driven pump.

Would I damage the transmission? Can anyone think of why this would not work for the short trip. I've attached a couple photos of the project. Please feel free to give me your honest opinions.

Thanks,

Jack

Lin

1965 MC-5a

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2013, 08:01:53 AM »

I do not have that manual nor an answer to your question, however, is there a reason it can't be towed?  Do you have road service?

You don't have to believe everything you think.
tuccitown

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2013, 11:37:26 AM »

Thank you for your response and very good question. I have considered having it towed, but besides the $$$ (as I don't have a towing service now) for a 1.7 mile tow. My drive way is pretty narrow and with a sharp corner at the street. I have seen some wreckers do some amazing stuff but would be pretty impressed if they'd be able to pull it out of the drive way. So I was thinking if I had to tow it I would most likely need to pull it out of the drive way on it's own power then hook it up. Which would be difficult with out an oil pump on the transmission.

If I knew the pump specs I could compare that with an electric temporary pump which may prevent damage while I pulled it out of the drive way.

Thanks,

Jack

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: