Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
April 19, 2014, 07:19:10 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: The dog will not eat it.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 90 MCI wont shut down  (Read 1234 times)
Iceumup

Ignore
« on: July 27, 2013, 06:17:03 PM »

starts and runs great but I have to manually cut fuel off to stop. ?
Iceumup

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2013, 06:27:44 PM »

*Won't  shut down with key or master switch in back.
Cary and Don

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2013, 06:33:21 PM »

Is it aired up?  If there isn't any air,  it will not shut down.  If the air operated shut down solenoid isn't working it won't shut down.  It could also be the relay that operates that air solenoid.

Don and Cary

1973 05 Eagle
Neoplan AN340
bevans6

1980 MCI MC-5C

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2013, 03:17:52 AM »

What engine do you have?

Brian

1980 MCI MC-5C, 8V-71T from a M-110 self propelled howitzer
Spicer 8844 4 speed Zen meditation device
Vintage race cars -
1978 Lola T440 Formula Ford
1972 NTM MK-4 B/SR
Scott Bennett
Scott & Heather MCI-9

Scott & Heather

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2013, 06:32:53 AM »

Probably the air stop cylinder or like son said the bus wasn't aired up yet.

Sent from iPhone via Tapatalk

Scott & Heather
1984 MCI9 6V92-turbo with 9 inch roof raise & conversion in progress.
http://www.scottmichaelbennett.com/p/our-bus.html
˙ǝɯoɔlǝʍ suoıʇɐuop ˙snq ʍǝu ɐ pǝǝu ʎlqɐqoɹd ll,ǝʍ 'sıɥʇ pɐǝɹ uɐɔ noʎ ɟı
bevans6

1980 MCI MC-5C

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2013, 06:43:51 AM »

The reason I asked which engine is that I thought that by 1990 the two-strokes were DDEC electronic controlled, so with no governor there would be no air-controlled stop cylinder.  I am probably wrong, I don't know anything about DDEC engines, only a little about MUI.

Brian

1980 MCI MC-5C, 8V-71T from a M-110 self propelled howitzer
Spicer 8844 4 speed Zen meditation device
Vintage race cars -
1978 Lola T440 Formula Ford
1972 NTM MK-4 B/SR
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2013, 07:44:34 AM »

It would be nice to which engine he does have it could have series 50,Cat or Cummins also besides the 2 stroke family of engines

Live each day like it was your last,one day it will be
Iceumup

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2013, 09:56:37 AM »

It's an 8v92 Detroit... Bought it not running , rebuilt lower half runs great... There is a lot to learn on these busses, it's my first buss .. way looking forward to taking my kids places in it.. We went to St. Louis , Wyoming , cally (Accidently took a 32' Fleetwood down the I1.. nightmare, lol. the front would hang over the bluffs and the lil "roller skate wheels" kept dragging. Thought I'd never get off it.. The only gas station in the road, the gas was$680 a gallon... Anyway, thanks for the help, the tow truck driver left out the plug from tank in front .
gumpy
Some Assembly Required

Slightly modified 1982 MC9

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2013, 04:23:32 PM »

It's an 8v92 Detroit... Bought it not running , rebuilt lower half runs great... There is a lot to learn on these busses, it's my first buss .. way looking forward to taking my kids places in it.. We went to St. Louis , Wyoming , cally (Accidently took a 32' Fleetwood down the I1.. nightmare, lol. the front would hang over the bluffs and the lil "roller skate wheels" kept dragging. Thought I'd never get off it.. The only gas station in the road, the gas was$680 a gallon... Anyway, thanks for the help, the tow truck driver left out the plug from tank in front .

Anyone else as confused about what was just said here as I am? 

I can't figure out if he got his bus to shut down or not. 

And where the heck is St. Louis, Wyoming? I'm from Wyoming and I've never heard of it!

Craig Shepard
Located in Minnesquito

http://bus.gumpydog.com - "Some Assembly Required"
Jriddle

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2013, 04:46:38 PM »

Yup just thought it was me.  LOL Smiley Smiley

John

If It Can't Be Grown Then It Has To Be Mined
John Riddle
Wells NV
1984 MC9
Dave5Cs

1979 MCI MC5Cs 6V-71 HT-740 Allison, Roseville, CA

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2013, 04:57:47 PM »

Gas??? 680.00 a gallon Huh Won't shut down but runs Great Huh

Dave5Cs

luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2013, 05:07:39 PM »

I am not saying nothing lol I have enough problems with a key board on a lap top,you should see my text messages from a I Phone not pretty 

Live each day like it was your last,one day it will be
Scott Bennett
Scott & Heather MCI-9

Scott & Heather

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2013, 05:38:37 PM »

I am not saying nothing lol I have enough problems with a key board on a lap top,you should see my text messages from a I Phone not pretty

Lol cliff. Typist or not, we think you're awesome and helpful Smiley now I'm thinking this guy bought gas at $6.80 per gallon. I think I would have walked!!!

Sent from iPhone via Tapatalk

Scott & Heather
1984 MCI9 6V92-turbo with 9 inch roof raise & conversion in progress.
http://www.scottmichaelbennett.com/p/our-bus.html
˙ǝɯoɔlǝʍ suoıʇɐuop ˙snq ʍǝu ɐ pǝǝu ʎlqɐqoɹd ll,ǝʍ 'sıɥʇ pɐǝɹ uɐɔ noʎ ɟı
Sam 4106

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2013, 06:02:33 PM »

My guess is that the message was written by a person for whom English is a second language.

Good luck, Sam

1976 MCI-8TA with 8V92 DDEC II and Allison HT740
RJ
Former Giant Greenbrier Owner

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2013, 06:23:05 PM »

Translation (I think):

It's an 8v92 Detroit... 1990 MCI with an 8V92, most likely with an Allison automatic.

Bought it not running , rebuilt lower half runs great...  Probably new main and connecting rod bearings. 

There is a lot to learn on these busses, it's my first buss .. No translation needed, but it's definitely an understatement!  Altho I first thought he meant an electrical buss or what one does on the cheek to your aunt, then realized he meant "bus."

We went to St. Louis , Wyoming , cally. . . He went to St. Louis, MO.  Then to Wyoming, then to Californication - the land of fruits & nuts!

Accidently took a 32' Fleetwood down the I1.. nightmare, lol. the front would hang over the bluffs and the lil "roller skate wheels" kept dragging. Thought I'd never get off it..   Quite possibly he's talking about Highway 1 down the coast of CA between Monterey and San Luis Obispo, one of the most gorgeous drives in the country.  But it takes a lot of steering wheel work to do so.  (Tip: Do it NB if you're skittish about tackling this, and don't be afraid to take your half out of the middle on some corners.  Charter buses run this road year-round, unless CalTrans closes it due to a slide. So don't be afraid of it, just respectful.)

The only gas station in the road, the gas was $680 a gallon...  Yup, there's only one place to fuel along that stretch of road, and they definitely charge what the traffic will bear.  Even more expensive when you forget the decimal point!  Since he said he did it in a Fleetwood, it was a gas rig, not diesel.

. . . the tow truck driver left out the plug from tank in front.  Not sure whether he's talking about the Fleetwood or his MCI.  If the latter, am thinking maybe plug on accessory tank, thus the coach wouldn't build air to allow shut off?

Well, that's what I think he's saying.

FWIW & HTH. . .

Wink

RJ Long
PD4106-2784 No More
Fresno CA
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: