Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
August 27, 2014, 06:07:43 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: It will not turn yellow, get musty, dusty, and mildewed or fade.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Fuel Prices  (Read 7360 times)
Jon

Ignore
« Reply #75 on: July 25, 2013, 12:26:15 PM »

Read the FBI affidavit for a search warrant linked above. I cannot fault any business for trying to make a lot of money. That is why they exist. So if every company selling diesel fuel is charging high prices that is both moral and legal because they are not charitable organizations.

But the affidavit shows how PIlot Flying J management in their own taped conversations STOLE rebate money trucking companies were entitled to and then talked about how stupid they were. Yes truck stops seem in lock step on pricing, but if customers are willing to pay there is nothing wrong with that. But when they agree to sell at a specific discount and then cheat you out of what you are entitled to that gets the IRS and FBI storming the building with search warrants.

What is keeping prices high today appears to be with Pilot Flying J in control of the market, they are willing to cut very attractive deals to bulk buyers such as trucking companies. You and I are paying full retail, but some trucking companies are buying fuel below cost because of their discounts in some areas for PFJ to attract or retain them. Then the shortfall is made up by either other locations being very expensive or by charging small customers such as us high margins on our purchases. TA and Love's are not cheating their customers by not giving them the pricing or rebates they contracted to give, and they are setting retail prices in concert with what their biggest competitor does.

Jon

Current coach 2006 Prevost, Liberty conversion
Knoxville, TN
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #76 on: July 25, 2013, 07:54:58 PM »

We have a small chain of convenience (250) stores here in the West called Maverick they seem to be the best on prices day in and out I have noticed they are starting to make their stores more RV friendly.

I see Quick Trip is making their move on the truck stops 2 new ones have open in the Phoenix this year alone very nice fuel stops clean and well staffed not like the average truck stop that is one thing I never liked about F/J,Pilot or Loves never enough help

Life is short drink the good wine first
sdc53

Ignore
« Reply #77 on: July 26, 2013, 12:21:19 AM »

I wish Costco sold diesel. We've been fueling at Fred Meyer (Kroger owned now) and they seem to have pretty competitive prices.  Getting ready to head out on a trip this weekend, glanced at the sign today and it said $3.89 here in OR and we don't have cheap fuel taxes here.  Bought diesel futures (filled both tanks) on Independence Day trip, think it was at least .10/gal cheaper then.  I may go on this run without topping off, although they will extort a pound of flesh from me for filling my propane tank.  I've run over a year without filling that.

Scott
Gladstone, OR
1969 PD4107
wg4t50

Ignore
« Reply #78 on: July 26, 2013, 03:45:41 AM »

Also the Walmart/Sams Clubs that have the Murphy Diesel is much lower in cost also, and buying the prepaid card saves even more.  Still have about $150.00 credit on my last card, but it does not expire.
Dave M

MCI7 20+ Yrs
Foretravel w/ISM500
WG4T CW for over 50 wpm for ever.
Central Virginia
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #79 on: July 26, 2013, 04:26:44 AM »

Don't expect much relief crude oil closed at over $107 a barrel for Sept delivery 

Boomer

Ignore
« Reply #80 on: July 26, 2013, 10:44:50 AM »

Trivia:
Maverick stations were started by the Call family ie: Jay Call who started Flying J.  Jay pioneered the "convenience store" concept way back in the '60's with the Maverick brand.  Then started Flying J.  The name came from his first name and the fact that he owned and flew planes and helicopters.  He died in the crash of his Cessna Citation jet.  I drove tanker for a year for one of his uncle's companies, Caribou Four Corners Oil Co.  You can figure where that name came from, they were from Utah and used to have a refinery in Woods Cross.  At that time Mr. Call was attempting to build a refinery on the Columbia river at Rainer, OR but the mother loving EPA shut him down. Wow that was way back in 69-70, where have the years gone.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2013, 11:28:36 AM by Boomer » Logged

'81 Eagle 15/45
'47 GM PD3751-438
'65 Crown Atomic
Vancouver, WA USA
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #81 on: July 26, 2013, 10:56:46 AM »

The Call family is back at Maverick they took over sometimes in 2012 that is why they are becoming so RV friendly now

sdc53

Ignore
« Reply #82 on: July 27, 2013, 11:18:07 PM »

I just saw diesel today at the Safeway gas for 3.71/gal, only .01 more than regular unleaded.  Shocker, I had just filled up for about .10/gal more at Fred Meyer.

Scott
Gladstone, OR
1969 PD4107
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: