Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 30, 2014, 06:01:04 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: 500 Members as of May 5th, 2006.  Smiley  3,499 Members as of October 21, 2012 Cheesy

Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: double doors on 83 mci  (Read 740 times)
hanks69chevy

Ignore
« on: July 28, 2013, 07:13:49 AM »

If I was to keep the double doors do they make electric motors for them. I'm thinking about turning the two doors into one.Does anyone have information on doing this. And pictures of the job when done.
Bill B /bus

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2013, 07:27:09 AM »

Are you writing about the air operated bifold doors?

Bill

Bill & Lynn
MCI102A3, Series 50 w/HT70
hanks69chevy

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2013, 07:31:18 AM »

Yes I am.
bevans6

1980 MCI MC-5C

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2013, 08:29:20 AM »

About all you could do is replace the air cylinders with electric actuators but it would be deathly slow I think.  The double door hinges make a complex motion, the doors are very heavy and the cylinders are about 2" ID which means they are creating around 350 lbs of force each to move the doors.  The hinge points for the single door are almost certainly in your bus frame but unused - they were in my 1980 MC-5C when I replaced my double doors with a single sedan door..  The lower hinge point did not have the internal captive nut piece that the single door lower hinge bolts to but it was easy to make.  You basically have to stick with the PITA to stop leaking air operated double door system, find a sedan door off any MC-8 or 9 or 5 (I think they are all the same but double check) or weld the doors together.  Welding the doors together has been done, there was a page on the internet somewhere that I found when I was contemplating the same thing.  Basically you take the doors off, get rid of the actuating mechanism and the hinges (which won't work for a single door mount), strip the doors completely bare, fixture them in a jig you have to make, make sure the measurements are correct and aligned perfectly, and start welding in/cutting strips of stainless steel to join the bits together.  You then have to figure out a way to mount it using barn door hinges, since you won't have the MCI upper hinge which is critical to how the factory door is installed.  Be aware the doors are bloody heavy, probably close to 200 lbs assembled as a single door.  When I was shopping I found take-off single doors for the $1,000 range of price, which I thought was silly, but then I found a buddy who had two parts buses and I got a door off of one of his buses for $100.  Even though the donor bus was a 5C as well, the sedan door was about 3/8" too wide and I had to do a lot of massaging to make it fit in the hole in my bus.  It just hit on both the front and the rear, and it's a testament to the strength of these buses the amount of force I used to move the jambs farther apart.  I used a porta-power jack and it barely worked.

Brian

1980 MCI MC-5C, 8V-71T from a M-110 self propelled howitzer
Spicer 8844 4 speed Zen meditation device
Vintage race cars -
1978 Lola T440 Formula Ford
1972 NTM MK-4 B/SR
Oonrahnjay

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2013, 09:05:58 AM »

Gene Lewis in Buies Creek NC (near Raleigh) published a very detailed page on his website that shows how he did it in his bus (not sure make/model).  My bus is very different from his but I used his procedure to guide my design for a completely new door for my bus.  I don't have a link, but if you can find it, you may get very good info.   

BH  NC   USA

Bruce H; Wallace (near Wilmington) NC
1976 Daimler (British) Double-Decker Bus; 34' long
6-cyl, 4-stroke, Leyland O-680 engine

(New Email -- brucebearnc@ (theGoogle gmail place) .com)
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2013, 09:39:03 AM »

It's www.coachconversioncentral.com now Bruce check under articles 
« Last Edit: July 29, 2013, 09:41:13 AM by luvrbus » Logged

Life is short drink the good wine first
Oonrahnjay

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2013, 12:54:51 PM »

It's www.coachconversioncentral.com now Bruce check under articles 

That's it.   The exact page is http://www.coachconversioncentral.com/one_piece_door.htm  I had copied the page to a file but I'd lost the URL.  Thanks, Clifford.

Bruce H; Wallace (near Wilmington) NC
1976 Daimler (British) Double-Decker Bus; 34' long
6-cyl, 4-stroke, Leyland O-680 engine

(New Email -- brucebearnc@ (theGoogle gmail place) .com)
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: