Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
April 16, 2014, 09:14:30 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: New ownership began September 1st 2012!  Please send any comments to info@busconversions.com
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 8V92T reman  (Read 981 times)
Merlin

Run away before the kids come back home.

Ignore
« on: July 29, 2013, 12:24:54 PM »

I'm seeking opinions of diesel engine remanufacturing companies.  Already know of the Reliabilt Detroit Diesel outfit, but there must be others.

I have an 8v92T with almost 350 thousand on it.  Has undergone one inframe about 60 thousand back.  Now I'm seeing signs of generous slobber tube droppings, smoke coming from right front area (can't see exactly where), and a clatter different than the usual 2 stroke sound.

Anyway I need some recommendations on a good reman company.  I'll hire out the engine swap work because I'm getting too old to lift out an engine by hand. Roll Eyes

Bus conversion is DONE, and now the home for full-time travel.  Look for me parked in front of your house.
Boomer

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2013, 01:22:07 PM »

Two that come to mind are :

Diesel Exchange, Springfield, MO
Perkins Pacific, Ridgefield, WA

These are REMAN, not REBUILT

'81 Eagle 15/45
'47 GM PD3751-438
'65 Crown Atomic
Vancouver, WA USA
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2013, 01:52:45 PM »

If time is not a factor you are just as well off doing your engine the cost of installing all the components off your engine to reman engine gets expensive a 12 or 15 grand reman engine will cost you 20 grand out the door 

Is your bus the gray Prevost that was here in the valley this past winter ? I looked at a DDEC 8v92 that had the click when it was cold

Live each day like it was your last,one day it will be
chessie4905

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2013, 04:23:25 PM »

Leid Diesel in Newville, Pa. Great guys and reasonable rates.

GMC h8h 649#028
Pennsylvania-central
Merlin

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2013, 04:33:17 PM »

If time is not a factor you are just as well off doing your engine the cost of installing all the components off your engine to reman engine gets expensive a 12 or 15 grand reman engine will cost you 20 grand out the door 

Is your bus the gray Prevost that was here in the valley this past winter ? I looked at a DDEC 8v92 that had the click when it was cold
We wintered some in Yuma, then over to a Corps park in central Texas.  That Prevost you saw probably was not us.  Although the cold engine "click" is the same.

Bus conversion is DONE, and now the home for full-time travel.  Look for me parked in front of your house.
Sam 4106

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2013, 04:36:11 PM »

My vote would be Central Truck in East Bethel, MN. 763-434-4260 Curt is very thorough, careful, and specializes in Detroit Diesel. I doubt you can beat his price either. Depending on where you are located, it might be worth the trip.

Good luck, Sam

1976 MCI-8TA with 8V92 DDEC II and Allison HT740
Geoff

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2013, 05:09:47 PM »

I can fix it, and it will be right...

Unless you keep saying "slobber tubes"-- in which case forget it.

--Geoff
General Diesel Service
Prescott, AZ

Geoff
'82 RTS AZ
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2013, 05:27:22 PM »

With those miles and a past in-frame with a short life span I would go for a re manufactured engine also,Perkins does a good reman they cost a little more than others but their warranty is the best 1 year 0 limit on miles or hours 

JMO a rebuild I think would be a waste of your money

Live each day like it was your last,one day it will be
opus

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2013, 07:49:20 PM »

Heard a lot of good here: http://www.americanfleetinc.com/

1995 BB All-American - A Transformation.
Merlin

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2013, 09:00:22 PM »

Thanks for the info, fellows.  Now I have to make the decision. By the way, I'm in central Ohio.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: