Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
November 27, 2014, 03:12:17 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: The dog will not eat it.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What brand of spray on liner for the roof is good?  (Read 3381 times)
belfert

Ignore
« on: August 02, 2013, 05:35:33 PM »

I'm thinking the best way to stop roof leaks once and for all is with spray on bed liner on the roof.  Can anyone recommend a good brand name that might have a dealer in the Minneapolis area? 

There is a place in Northern Florida that does only RV roofs, but they quoted over $4,000 plus I would spend probably $2,000 on travel.  I know there is a place in New Mexico or some place in the southwest that Clifford recommends, but travel would be an issue.  I got a quote of just over $2,000 from one place locally that doesn't seem so bad now.  I'm also considering a roll on DIY product called Monstaliner.

Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN
Chopper Scott

MCI 7

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2013, 05:51:21 PM »

What's wrong with Henry's Solar Flex? I just rolled it on with a roller and tadaa!

Seven Heaven.... I pray a lot every time I head down the road!!
Bad decisions make good stories.
belfert

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2013, 06:26:52 PM »

I tried a roll on elastomeric coating from Lowe's earlier this summer.  One coat with a 3/4" nap roller should have taken most of the 4.75 gallon bucket.  I followed the directions (except one step) and ended up using maybe one gallon for my roof for one coat.  The one thing I did not do is stir it with a paint stirrer in a drill before I used it.  The stuff is no thicker than an ordinary coat of paint.  It didn't really seal up any of the cracks and I wasn't convinced a second coat would help so I haven't tried a second coat.

I've had spray on bed liners in several trucks and the stuff formed one continuous layer at least 1/6" thick.  I think it would also work good on my roof.

Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN
lorna

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2013, 08:02:41 PM »

I rolled 4.75 gallons of Henry's Solarflex on our bus (40 ft BlueBird). That worked out to about 3 thin coats. That was in summer 2011. It makes a huge difference. I bought ours from home Depot. Also the Snow Roofing products are very good as well.
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2013, 04:30:01 AM »

I like the lining material best the price is expensive because of all the prep work once applied it is there forever and tree limbs won't peel it off   

Life is short drink the good wine first
edroelle

1998 Royale Prevost

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2013, 05:58:03 AM »

1.   Remove any and all silicone.    This is deadly to anything else sticking.

2.   Remove old caulking.   (I used a multi-tool.)

3.   Clean surface and caulk with urethane caulking.

4.   Then you can paint or "bedliner", or ...     

5.   Do NOT use anything with silicone !!

If you find something easy, it probably will leak in the future.   

Ed Roelle
Flint, MI

white-eagle

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2013, 07:18:07 AM »

lorna,
why did you install a roof coating?  what did it help, sound, looks, shade, leaks? 

Tom
1991 Eagle 15 and proud of it.
8V92T, 740, Fulltime working on the road.

Fran was called to a higher duty 12/16/13. I lost my life navigator.
Ed Hackenbruch

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2013, 07:33:47 AM »

So Clifford, if somebody used it on their ac units that would keep branches from peeling them off too?   Grin    I wonder how that stuff would work/look on the sides of a bus instead of paint?  Probably last forever, cost the same or less than a lot of paint jobs........and as far as looks?  Ok, no high gloss shine, more of an orange peel or textured look up close, but from 10-15 ft. away it might look ok, especially if you had a stripe or swirl of gloss paint or a decal on it. Hmmmmm.

1968 MCI 5A with 8V71 and Allison MT644 transmission.  Western USA
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2013, 07:48:34 AM »

Smith can spray the stuff smooth and with a high gloss ED plus different colors stop by his shop some day if you are in Albuquerque he is off I 40 about a block on Juan Tabo does amazing things with the stuff

Ed Hackenbruch

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2013, 08:25:34 AM »

Clifford,  the name of his shop?  His full name and name on the board?  I know that i met him at that small rally that we had at St. George a couple of years ago but you know how the memory thing is. Smiley   We were in Albuquerque on our way to the rally in Blytheville this spring, wish  i had known about this then.

1968 MCI 5A with 8V71 and Allison MT644 transmission.  Western USA
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2013, 08:42:22 AM »

Jim is going to paint his Eagle with the material I am waiting to see the out come bet it will be work of art,his and Becky's shop is Smith's Ultimate Lining you did meet him at that rally has a 07 Eagle was parked next to Larry Jones with model 15 

lorna

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2013, 11:03:08 AM »

lorna,
why did you install a roof coating?  what did it help, sound, looks, shade, leaks? 
We used to live in an old Class C that had several leaks. After much research, I ended up patching and rolling white Snow Roof Elastometric on the roof. It cut the heat dramatically. Then we decided to roll a coat of the Snow Roof on the 16 Ft cargo trailer we were using to haul all our tools from state to state. We when from raising a blister when we accidently touched the interior of the roof to being able to hold our hand on the roof for an extended time.  While the BlueBird waspretty much rust free, unlike our old Eagle, there was a leak in the roof at one or two rivets. Since a BlueBird has a million rivets just in the roof alone, I used Henrys elastometric roof caulk on the metal seams and all the rivets. Then rolled Henrys white Solarflex on the roof. After the first coat, the temps inside droped dramatically. And this was during the summer in central NM desert summer. Again, we went from being able to touch the rivets on the interior to minimal heat transfer. The roof coating provides a thermal break for the rivets from both the heat and cold. We spent last summer in Roswell NM with no air conditioning. Finding Snow Roof at our then local store was not an option. So we ended up with Solarflex which seems to do a better job. When we convert a skoolie for our daughter (she lives in our old Class C now) the roof will be caulked then rolled with SolarFlex. We like it that much. By that time we will be needing to recoat our bus roof.
Dave5Cs

1979 MCI MC5Cs 6V-71 HT-740 Allison, Roseville, CA

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2013, 10:03:15 AM »

Does it lay down smooth or is it lumpy? Do you have to clean and prime the roof first?

Dave5Cs from Galaxy S III

My personal skills are fine.. itís my tolerance to idiots that needs work!....

http://s1264.photobucket.com/albums/jj493/fltmr2000/
lorna

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2013, 12:38:54 PM »

I used a standard paint roller for flat paint on walls. Nothing special. It left a moderately rough finish. I washed roof really well with laundry detergent and bleach. Our white roof was greenish brown from dead mildew. It had set for a few years in high humidity NC mountains, then it sat for over a year in convection oven NM.

I like how to roof turned out. It has made living in/a convection oven bearable. We are parked under a couple of what they call "nice shade trees" out here. The branches hit the roof at times. So far the roof is holding up okay. It's got a lot of brown dust on it from the daily wind storms, and the birds that roost in the trees overnight poop all over the roof. But after one of the really good downpour rains that we don't get often enough, the roof is fairly clean.

We have been in this campground since Dec 2011. Others that have been here roughly the same length of time and had white rubber roofs, now look far worse than our roof.
siberyd

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2013, 12:46:24 PM »

Does anyone know if this roof sealing stiff would work on window rubber or seal leaks?
My 4104 has 3 factory installed skylights and atleast one of them leaks.

I am looking for a simple solution compared to removing skylight rubber and replacing with new skylight rubber.

Siberyd

1964 White/Carpenter 35' RE 3208 Husky Camp
1957 PD 4104-2240 Converted Siberyd

http://s1240.photobucket.com/albums/gg498/26R13/
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: