Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
December 27, 2014, 04:49:35 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This BB is intended for the sole purpose of sharing conversion and bus related information among visitors to our web site. These rules must be followed in order for us to continue this free exchange of info. No bad mouthing of any business or individual is permitted. Absolutely no items for sale are to be posted, except in the Spare Tire board. Interested in placing a classified or web ad, please contact our advertising dept. at 714-903-1784 or e-mail to: info@busconversions.com.

Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Good day  (Read 674 times)
chessie4905

Ignore
« on: August 21, 2013, 05:21:14 PM »

Some time back I mentioned that previous owner had some kind of engine issue and had a rebuilt engine AND V730 installed shortly before I purchased it. At the time of the rebuilt engine installation, someone came up with the bright idea?? of leaving the 50DN alternator off, saying it would free up another 30 horsepower. The owner could run the 10kw         Powertech to recharge the coach and house batteries when needed. They installed a plate over the drive hole. Wiring ends were stuffed into short pieces of radiator hose and taped. From some posts here Clifford and others have mentioned that some remans don't have the proper cam gear to install the alternator drive cup gear, which would require partial teardown to correct. Well today, I decided to remove that plate and check the cam gear, expecting the worst. Uh...Hmmm... Horrray!!! Cup gear is still there, so I can install my 50DN I got from Nimco a few years back. I also have the centering adapter to make sure the gear mesh is correct.    Does anyone have the special Kent Moore dial indicator and mounting piece to verify alternator is centered properly? Or is there another way to do this without the special tool? Thanks.

GMC h8h 649#028
Pennsylvania-central
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2013, 07:07:23 PM »

Chessie,you can set the center with about any dial indicator with a magnetic base then I use Jegs gear marking compound to check the drive, yea I know taking that heavy sucker off and on is a chore but well worth it IMO 

good luck

Life is short drink the good wine first
chessie4905

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2013, 04:40:54 AM »

Thanks, I like the idea of the gear marking compound to double check it. Error would be costly. I have a magnetic dial indicator.

GMC h8h 649#028
Pennsylvania-central
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: