Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
July 25, 2014, 04:16:19 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription:  It will not get lost in the mail.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: jake brake solenoid  (Read 1311 times)
chessie4905

Ignore
« on: August 08, 2013, 04:55:49 PM »

The washer on the top of one of my Jake Brake solenoids was found lying loose in cylinder head; looks like rivet or whatever failed. The solenoids look to need a collet wrench to remove. Anyone know what wrench number to use and I see the new solenoids are different shaped slightly, probably to eliminate needing a collet wrench to service. Anyway, can the newer style be substituted singularly or requires all to be done? Thanks.

GMC h8h 649#028
Pennsylvania-central
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2013, 05:31:11 PM »

It takes a 1 1/4 spanner wrench with a 1/8 pin set you can buy one from Jake for 32 bucks or 12 bucks from other sources like Reid Supply you can also use a cheap rubber strap wrench unless someone got carried away and over torqued the solenoid,  

A pair of channel locks made for pipe like plumbers use works too the straight jaw channel locks don't work reeal good  

I like the new style solenoid with the 3/4 wrench fitting that is what I use for replacements,if buying off the self FWIW Pac/Brake will have the best price on the solenoids or any other parts for the Jakes   
« Last Edit: August 08, 2013, 05:40:42 PM by luvrbus » Logged

Live each day like it was your last,one day it will be
chessie4905

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2013, 06:26:59 PM »

Thanks, so I only need to replace that one? Checked out pacbrake...will new solenoid come with all reqd seals or do I need to order them separately?
« Last Edit: August 08, 2013, 07:00:17 PM by chessie4905 » Logged

GMC h8h 649#028
Pennsylvania-central
Utahclaimjumper

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2013, 07:22:10 PM »

There are only 4 solenoids, each with 3 gaskets, you may as well look at all of them while your at it, you will probably find several broken gaskets.<>>Dan

Utahclaimjumper 
 EX 4106 (presently SOB)
Cedar City, Ut.
 72 VW Baja towed
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2013, 08:10:49 PM »

Yea you can buy the whole rebuild kits from Pac/Brake that include the control valves,springs,bolts,plates o-rings and jumper tube seals every thing except the solenoids for 125 bucks the same kit from DD cost $295.00 and takes weeks to get one

I am still in shock DD charging me $3.95 ea for jumper tube seals and dummy here not asking the price just send me 12 lol

chessie4905

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2013, 05:05:12 AM »

Yeah, I know what you mean. I've had the same thing happen when ordering parts or something. The one time I don't check the price first before ordering.....Bam-bend over.

GMC h8h 649#028
Pennsylvania-central
chessie4905

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2013, 05:02:04 PM »

Got an adjustable spanner wrench per Cliffords' sizing; changed out bad solenoid with a good used one from a spare set. I also noticed that there wasn't a bottom oring and also checked bottom of hole The solenoids aren't marked as to voltage, but ohm out at 20 ohms. 12 volt, according to Jake Brake site. From their resistance chart, it looks like 12volt solenoids were also used on the 24 volt systems in the early days before they came out with  specific 24 volt solenoids.

GMC h8h 649#028
Pennsylvania-central
Utahclaimjumper

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2013, 05:44:59 PM »

As you have now seen, the seals can't "come out" unless the solenoid has been removed. The seals are trapped when the solenoid is in its bore and snug. That being said, read the Jakes manual and you will find that broken or non-existant seals can cause the jakes to apply with out command.  BTDT >>>Dan

Utahclaimjumper 
 EX 4106 (presently SOB)
Cedar City, Ut.
 72 VW Baja towed
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2013, 07:43:47 PM »

If you have correct Jake o-ring in the bottom of the housing it takes a pick to remove those they wont come out just removing the solenoid I have saw those doubled because people thought they were not there 

chessie4905

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2013, 07:20:58 AM »

I used a mirror and pick- no bottom seal. the other solenoid on that side was only finger tight. Discovered that when loosening screw to test resistance. Whole solenoid started to turn  before screw loosened. Two crimped wire connectors pulled right off wires, one on each head. Poor crimps. One of the jumper screws had backed off about 1/4 inch. No wonder they didn't work when I brought it home. I decided to order a tune up kit and replace the seals and install new wiring kit. I'm thinking of replacing the solenoids with new 24 volt units and changing voltage source if needed. They may be fed by the Vanner currently. I'll need to check that yet. Did see the engine has C65's in it.
   I did go to the Jacobs engine brake site and thoroughly studied the service literature before starting.

GMC h8h 649#028
Pennsylvania-central
TexasBorderDude
Founder - Texas Curmudgeon Society

Nothing simple is ever easy...

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2013, 12:31:00 PM »

FWIW

A curmudgeon's reputation for malevolence is undeserved. They're neither warped nor evil at heart. They don't hate mankind, just mankind's absurdities. They're just as sensitive and soft-hearted as the next guy, but they hide their vulnerability beneath a crust of misanthropy.
chessie4905

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2013, 04:38:28 AM »

Yep, that's the one that wasn't there, solenoid top washer lying in valve cover and oil screw backed out about 1/4 inch. Hmmm.

GMC h8h 649#028
Pennsylvania-central
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: