Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
September 15, 2014, 05:52:15 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: You will not incur forwarding fees when you are on the road.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 6V92 Purchase?  (Read 1144 times)
chuckd

Ignore
« on: August 13, 2013, 08:20:44 AM »

As I have posted before, will not buy anything before I check on this board, so here goes:  About nine miles from me is 1989 Gillig MTC (Metropolitan Transit Commission) It has a 6V92 serial number 6VF168725, with a 4 spd auto.  It last started and ran 4 years ago.  It has 91k miles on the speedometer, and 232K miles on the hubometer, so mileage is probably unknown.  History unknown.  I can buy engine and transmission for $750.  Will it fit in my Prevost, is that a good price for a core?  Engine is complete with computer, starter, turbo etc.  Would convert this to a mechanical engine more than likely, unless I use the whole package.

Does it come out the back on the two rails that seem to be holding it in place?

Thanks for the help.

Chuckd
Stillwater Mn
1979 Prevost 35 footer.
belfert

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2013, 09:20:00 AM »

Given that this is a MTC/Metro Transit bus are there service records with it?  Transit fleets tend to keep meticulous records.  You could get lucky and buy an engine that was replaced/rebuilt shortly before the bus reached 12 years of age and was replaced with new.

Transit fleets seem to like to spend big money repairing buses that are planned to be replaced in the next six months.  Would you put a $15,000 engine into a bus destined to be be replaced in six months that may not sell for enough to even cover the cost of the engine?

Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN
Don Fairchild

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2013, 09:59:39 AM »

Chuck, that is a good price for a 6V92 and trans make sure what transmission it is before you decide to use it. I believe on the 89 engines you don't have to change camshafts so going back to mui using parts from your current engine would be a snap.

Don
uncle ned

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2013, 12:41:59 PM »

Good evening Don

are you going to make it back east this year.

Would love some tri tips again and some good company.

Planning on going to Garry's rally and then by to see BK

uncle ned

4104's forever
6v92 v730
Huggy Bear
Don Fairchild

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2013, 01:23:51 PM »

Hi Uncle Ned, how you and Wilma doing, I need to be in Corpus Christy mid Sept. and then up to Mo. I have talked to BK and he said come on over. Once I get my schedule firmed up I was going to let you know and see if maybe we could get together and maybe give a call to ken & Gary and a few others for a impromptu get together. Just do a pot luck and tell a bunch of lies. What do you think.

Don
RJ
Former Giant Greenbrier Owner

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2013, 11:07:06 PM »

"I can buy engine and transmission for $750."

Chuck -

Might almost be worth that in scrap if it turns out to be a bust.

OTOH, there are lots of parts you can/could scavenge.

How much more for the entire coach?  Lots of miscellaneous items might be useable on your Prevost.

Gillig Phantoms have two huge frame rails that run bumper-to-bumper, so the answer is yes - the powertrain slides out.  Forklift is best.

Gillig is still in business - they're in Hayward, CA.  If you can obtain the VIN & fleet number, you might be able to come up with the Final Vehicle Record for the coach by contacting the factory.  This document lists all the major components installed on the coach as originally built.  As Brian said, MTC might also still have records on the coach, if it's still on their property.  If not still theirs, you may be out of luck.

FWIW & HTH. . .

Wink

RJ Long
PD4106-2784 No More
Fresno CA
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2013, 04:10:42 AM »

Chuck, the most important part is the rear of the engine check all the drives to be sure they match the present engine the rest is easy changing the locations for the accessory drives to match from one engine to another is a major pain 

Life is short drink the good wine first
Sam 4106

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2013, 10:45:07 AM »

RJ, unless the price of scrap has really gone up since I sold an 8V71 for scrap last winter, that engine and transmission will not bring anywhere near $750.

Good luck, Sam

1976 MCI-8TA with 8V92 DDEC II and Allison HT740
chuckd

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2013, 08:07:29 PM »

Okay a few things:  Clifford the turbo and air cleaner are in the same location, water pump and routing of the coolant lines are same, the side radiator fan is driven by fluid so that is different than my belt driven fan, and there is only one alternator, not two.  The pulley will need to be replace, do not think that is a big deal.  Will post pictures when I can resize them.

Hubmeter mileage means nothing, MTC rebuilt them and moved them from bus to bus.  The odometer at 90k might mean something as odometers were not usually reset.  Hard to believe the bus only has 90k miles on it, has not been in real bus service for 10 years or so.  The above info from a retired MTC manager. 

Any one need a really big ac compressor?
How about a radiator - looks to be copper from the corrosion on it, very pretty blue green.
Going to look for heat exchangers/fans etc.

Any other Gillig parts strike your fancy?

Chuckd
Stillwater MN
35 foot Prevost
1999 Volvo 770 toter for sale
2003 New Horizons fifth wheel for sale

Will be taking as much of the wire harness as I can get.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: