Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 25, 2014, 06:40:36 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: You will not have to go out in the rain, sleet, hail, or snow to retrieve it.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Slow going  (Read 1816 times)
baker4106

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2013, 04:39:16 PM »

I question no smoke.   My 4106 with stock injectors smokes if I try to hold the fuel pedal down while climbing hills.   Is engine staying on full fuel under a load?
chessie4905

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2013, 05:14:41 PM »

Unless his exhaust outlet has been changed to side outlet instead of rear, he may not be able to tell unless it really smokes. How much is total weight, plus trailer or toad, if any.

GMC h8h 649#028
Pennsylvania-central
baker4106

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2013, 05:28:49 PM »

I can see smoke from my 4106 when I leave a stop light.   The only time mine didn't smoke or have power was when the fuel filters were plugged.
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: August 13, 2013, 05:58:29 PM »

It is a old trick on the DD to close the air gap on the governor it takes the smoke away because the response time is so much slower and they really never reach full load fuel but will reach the max rpm setting in time it does make one weak when it is done that way   

If one responds and jumps to 2100 rpm and come back to idle just as fast they will smoke,the governor is the most missed item when it comes to tuning the 2 stroke  

It's to much trouble and most shops just don't bother with it they run the rack,set the valves,Jakes and injectors out the door you go    
« Last Edit: August 13, 2013, 10:42:02 PM by luvrbus » Logged

Life is short drink the good wine first
Purplewillie

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: August 13, 2013, 06:31:03 PM »

Exhaust out the side, no smoke.
No toad,PO weighed it , told me 28,000 lbs.
Mark

Mark & Char
1976 P8M4905a 8v71 v730
British Columbia Canada
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: August 13, 2013, 08:20:05 PM »

If you have a V730, be sure to shift down to 1st with your foot on the floor-then pull up on the gas pedal about an inch and you should feel the transmission bump into torque converter lockup. This will keep the heat down-anytime you're in torque converter, you're producing lots of heat. I went up over Ebitts pass in 1st the whole way up and back down. In 1st the Jake brake is also very effective. Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
RJ
Former Giant Greenbrier Owner

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: August 13, 2013, 10:44:18 PM »

PO weighed it, told me 28,000 lbs.

Mark -

Run it across a set of scales yourself, as you would normally load it plus full fuel tank(s), to see what the your weight is, not the PO's operating weight.  Could be significantly different - especially when it comes to setting tire pressures.  (Which you should do after you weigh it anyway!)

IIRC, N65s produce 304 hp and about 800 ft/lbs of torque, N60s 275 hp and 775 ft/lbs.

So your speeds going up, over and around Rocky Top sound just about right.

Now go pick up/download a copy of Aesop's Fable of The Tortoise and The Hare and spend some time curled up reading this classic.  Apply it's thinking to yours when you're behind the wheel of your coach, and you'll have many miles of smiles.

But try to drive it like a BMW and you'll frustrate yourself to no end!

FWIW & HTH. . .

Wink

PS: Nice pic!

RJ Long
PD4106-2784 No More
Fresno CA
Jon

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: August 14, 2013, 04:25:08 AM »

We've been driving our buses for 23 years and one of the best decisions I ever made was how to drive it.

In business everything I did was rush-rush. I was speeding to sales calls or jumping in my plane trying to do calls in 3 states before the end of the day. When we got our first bus a Prevost with an 8V92 and the 755 transmission with a top speed of around 70 I decided I was done trying to make time. I considered myself on vacation as soon as I was in the driver's seat and nobody or nothing was going to make me hurry up. The thing is called a recreational vehicle and I intended to recreate.

I'm the slow guy in the right lane, and if I have to go up a hill at 55 or 35 I just don't care. I did increase my speed from the original 59 MPH (1800 with the 8V92) to 62 (1500 with the Series 60) but the way everyone speeds past me while I am relaxing on cruise control makes me happy to be able to relax.

Jon

Current coach 2006 Prevost, Liberty conversion
Knoxville, TN
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: August 14, 2013, 04:38:45 AM »

Most people do run their RV around 55 to 60 mph I notice, the back roads are nice for a slower pace on the Interstate I do run close to the speed limit it scares me trucks coming from behind when I am running 55 and they are running 75

Life is short drink the good wine first
Jon

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: August 14, 2013, 05:01:56 AM »

We've been driving our buses for 23 years and one of the best decisions I ever made was how to drive it.

In business everything I did was rush-rush. I was speeding to sales calls or jumping in my plane trying to do calls in 3 states before the end of the day. When we got our first bus a Prevost with an 8V92 and the 755 transmission with a top speed of around 70 I decided I was done trying to make time. I considered myself on vacation as soon as I was in the driver's seat and nobody or nothing was going to make me hurry up. The thing is called a recreational vehicle and I intended to recreate.

I'm the slow guy in the right lane, and if I have to go up a hill at 55 or 35 I just don't care. I did increase my speed from the original 59 MPH (1800 with the 8V92) to 62 (1500 with the Series 60) but the way everyone speeds past me while I am relaxing on cruise control makes me happy to be able to relax.

Jon

Current coach 2006 Prevost, Liberty conversion
Knoxville, TN
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: August 14, 2013, 08:22:48 AM »

I had my bus turbo'd, but did not change my rear end gear ratio. Hence, I still cruise at 1850-1900 which is 58-60mph. What the turbo did was to vastly improve my hill climbing capability. I no longer slow down on small hills and only have to down shift on the longest, steepest of grades. I went from 304hp and 800lb/ft torque to 375hp and 1125lb/ft torque. This is the big amount of difference you'd have to do to your engine to see any real difference in performance. Unless you're ready to turbo your engine (it really does wake up the 8V-71!), keep the engine like it is. Don't fool with success. Just kick back and enjoy the scenery. Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
akroyaleagle

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: August 14, 2013, 10:20:46 AM »

If you can, look up Francois Roy in Ponoka. It's North of Red Deer, AB.

He is the best DD mechanic that ever worked on my coach. (Clifford is a good friend of mine, but has never worked on my coach)

If you can locate "Frank", get him to check your tune. If he does, you will be amazed at the difference when he is done. He is very receptive to letting you watch, help and will raise your learning curve so much you may become dizzy.

Most can adjust the "rack". Clifford is absolutely right, as usual. The govenor adjustments make the difference!

Joe Laird
'78 Eagle
Huron, South Dakota
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: