Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 01, 2014, 07:44:05 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: It can be read on any computer, iPad, smart phone, or compatible device.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Colorado Highways  (Read 774 times)
Melbo

MC8 under construction

Ignore
« on: August 14, 2013, 05:44:27 AM »

I am planning a trip that includes highway 114 from Saguache to US 50 to Montrose.

I'm just wondering if there is a better way or if this is the best route.

Thanks

Melbo

If it won't go FORCE it ---- if it breaks it needed to be replaced anyway
Albuquerque, NM   MC8 L10 Cummins ZF
gumpy
Some Assembly Required

Slightly modified 1982 MC9

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2013, 07:07:36 AM »

I've not personally traveled that particular road, but I've been on similar roads in the general area (69 out of Walsenburg, 96 out of Pueblo). I looked at Google maps and satellite
maps for this road. Looks to be a paved highway. Not too twisty, but there are some curves and minor hairpins. Hard to get a feeling for elevation on the maps. Topo data shows
it reaches at least 10000 ft. at North Pass. Sauguche appears to be at about 7800, so only about a 2000 ft climb. I would expect some hills up to about a 7% grade.

Overall, I would not hesitate to take this route with my bus. It will be slow, but probably very scenic. Stop in at the local hangout and ask some locals about road conditions
before making the final decision. You can always go up to Salida and over Monarch. I've done that one in my bus. It's very steep. 1st gear going down. 18-21 mph.

Craig Shepard
Located in Minnesquito

http://bus.gumpydog.com - "Some Assembly Required"
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2013, 08:06:40 AM »

No matter which way you go, if you're going from the east side of the Rockies to the west side, you have to go over a 10,000+ft pass. I don't know how 114 is, but I've been on 50 in my big rig-good road. Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
Seayfam

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2013, 10:01:35 AM »

I did a trip up from Texas to Alaska a several years ago that took us into Pueblo and then 50 to Montrose. That was a very nice drive with good roads! There is one pass that is really big, (Monarch Pass) I believe it was around 12000ft and was a slow go. It is nice and wide with truck lanes and good pavement, but that was three years ago. The pavement could be a little worse now? But it is a very nice drive and if you have a toad that you can take up to Royal Gorge just outside of Canon City, it is well worth it.  Wink

Good luck

Gary Seay (location Alaska)
1969 MCI MC-6 unit# 20006
8V92 turbo 740 auto
more pics and information here     "  www.my69mci-6.blogspot.com  "
rusty

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2013, 12:27:45 PM »

Have been on HWY 50 many times and on 114 once a long time ago, but have not driven ether in the bus. Both good roads and 114 is less traveled and a 1000 ft shorter at the summit. The area around Royal Gorge burnt this spring. The bridge is still there but that is about all that left. Last I heard you can not even drive to the bridge. Enjoy Colorado.

Wayne
FolkBus
It's a family thing

1967 MC-5A - 1949 Crown Supercoach

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2013, 02:58:51 PM »

That will be a fantastic trip, not fast, but spectacular.

Mike and Debbie McNeil  Ridgway - Montrose, CO
1949 Crown SuperCoach (Amazing Grace) Conversion 1972  Pancake 220 Cummins  Fuller 5 Speed

1967 MC-5A  (Serenity)  Conversion 1986  8v-71N   Allison MT-644
niles500
Niles500

ROSIE

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2013, 05:28:36 PM »

That's probably one of the only routes I haven't taken - If you do go that way please tell us how it was (thanks) - Are you going that way for the scenery? Are you planning to do anything in Gunnison/CB area?

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")  

- Niles
Melbo

MC8 under construction

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2013, 05:41:58 PM »

We like to go to Meeker to see the Meeker Classic http://meekersheepdog.com/ and we have stopped in Leadville the last couple of times and then we took US 24 up to I70 but this year we are going to the rodeo in Ridgway. I like the slower roads and out of the way places BUT no need for surprises if they can be avoided.

It seemed like US 50 was a little more mountainous than 114 but might be better road -- that is the reason for my question.

Any hints or input is appreciated.

Melbo

If it won't go FORCE it ---- if it breaks it needed to be replaced anyway
Albuquerque, NM   MC8 L10 Cummins ZF
niles500
Niles500

ROSIE

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2013, 05:44:53 PM »

BTW - cheapest fuel in Montrose (about the cheapest anywhere south of I70) is gas station on the southwest side of 550 between 9th and 10th streets - make sure you ask for the cheapest car wash (with a straight face) it's about $4 - with that you get an additional 10 cents of per gallon - I usually hand the car wash ticket to the dirtiest car in line - HTH

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")  

- Niles
niles500
Niles500

ROSIE

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2013, 05:51:46 PM »

You need info on ridgway? I use to park in the rodeo parking area but now I just park right next to the True Grit across from the Post Office. Kate's Place on Clinton for Breakfast/Brunch. They may still have their Thursday concert series. You know the "Silver Eagle Bar" is just up the road in Ouray?

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")  

- Niles
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: