Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
July 26, 2014, 04:21:27 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This BB is intended for the sole purpose of sharing conversion and bus related information among visitors to our web site. These rules must be followed in order for us to continue this free exchange of info. No bad mouthing of any business or individual is permitted. Absolutely no items for sale are to be posted, except in the Spare Tire board. Interested in placing a classified or web ad, please contact our advertising dept. at 714-903-1784 or e-mail to: info@busconversions.com.

Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Am I on the right track for finding this air leak?  (Read 1244 times)
belfert

Ignore
« on: August 15, 2013, 08:09:28 AM »

I seem to have an air leak as my gauges will fall to around 60 lbs or so after the bus sits for a few days.  Am I right to think this leak would likely be on the suspension/accessory side since I am not losing all my air?  It seems to me the pressure protection valve is stopping me from losing more air.  I would think if I was losing air on the brake side I would eventually lose all air.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2013, 08:43:02 AM by belfert » Logged

Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN
Jon

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2013, 09:00:58 AM »

My knowledge is limited to Prevost, but it sounds correct as you state it. On all three of my coaches if my key was off and my aux air system would drop to zero, my two brake systems would remain fully pressurized, but keep in mind that is the only experience I have with the loss of aux air which is a huge problem for Prevost owners due to the multitude of aux air systems and devices.

Jon

Current coach 2006 Prevost, Liberty conversion
Knoxville, TN
belfert

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2013, 11:23:23 AM »

Luckily, on a Dina, I have only a few things that use suspension/auxiliary air.  Only the tag axle has air bags.  The step is long gone and the previous owner had just bent the tubes over and tied them shut.  I can't recall if I properly plugged the air for the steps or not.  It may have been only the air for the pneumatic door that I plugged properly.  I'll have to get my diagrams out tonight and dive underneath to look at the air for the steps again.

Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN
Len Silva

Angle Parked in a Parallel Universe

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2013, 12:14:19 PM »

If you are walking in and out of the bus while it is parked, that will use air as the bags try to maintain level.

Hand Made Gifts

Ignorance is only bliss to the ignorant.
Ralph7

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2013, 03:12:39 PM »

You are luckey, mine drops to 60 within min. of engine stop. I cannot hear any leaks. Drops to 30 in 1 hour then empty. 0 to 60 psi fairly fast 60 to 90 sloooooooooow.  Driving/ideling  it goes to 120 and pops off goes to 90 and builds, normal cycle.
          Step on the brakes normal drop.
          I must have all the leveling valves leaking!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Homegrowndiesel
Vegetable oil, Rudolf Diesel's original fuel

73-05 Eagle

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2013, 06:44:12 PM »

"as my gauges will fall to around 60 lbs or so after the bus sits for a few days" OH NO,, A few Days? Must be a problem, LOL. No problem Belfert. I just replaced all of our bags, pancakes, flex lines and still cycle within minutes, No Less Days. All Is Good.

Aerodynamic Eagle & MCI 102a3
belfert

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2013, 07:30:16 PM »

The bus used to be able to sit just about all summer and still maintain 90 to 100 lbs air pressure.  During the winter it would lose all the air.  I'm not terribly worried about it and will still drive the bus the way it is.  My front axle and drive axle have torsion suspension so no air there.  I do have air bags on the tag axle, but no idea if I have a leveling valve.

I went out and looked at the air lines for the steps and I never did remove them.  That is a place to start, but I want to look at my air plumbing diagrams first.  The problem is the diagrams are not in the bus and I misplaced them.

azdieselman

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2013, 07:53:29 PM »

My fear would be that after you attempt to fix it, It won't be as good as it is now. Don't ask me to elaborate on how I know this. lol

1980 Mod 10
belfert

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2013, 05:30:59 AM »

I found the air diagrams late yesterday evening.  There is nothing at all on the air diagrams about the air step.  There is also really nothing about the air suspension for the tag axle.  There is a line that says 'to suspension'.

I doubt I can hurt anything by tracing back the air lines for the steps and plugging them.

Dave5Cs

1979 MCI MC5Cs 6V-71 HT-740 Allison, Roseville, CA

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2013, 06:57:59 AM »

Brian check the check valve at air dryer to wet tank. One at compressor.they may be stuck open. My system leaks down in 1hour to 0.

Dave5Cs from Galaxy S III

Cary and Don

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2013, 08:42:23 AM »

We obsessed over the air leaks on our GM.  It will now drop to about 85lbs after 12 hours with us in it parked.  Takes about about three days to drop to 65lbs if we aren't walking around in it. That was the best we could get.  Then we got to do it all over again with the Eagle.

Don and Cary

1973 05 Eagle
Neoplan AN340
muldoonman
1991 Prevost 8V92TA

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2013, 03:12:03 PM »

Old fella told me the only way to find all the leaks in your coach is to drive it in the lake and watch for bubbles. I'm glad all our lakes are dry , cause after spending a lot of greenbacks with Prevost, I would be tempted.
belfert

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2013, 02:18:04 PM »

I pulled out the air tubing for the old air steps today.  Two of the lines were no longer connected at the other end, but one line was still connected.  I am surprised it wasn't leaking since it was just folded over and tied shut.  I plugged the connection since it isn't needed anymore.

I doubt this is really my leak down problem since it didn't appear to be leaking before I removed it.  I'm not sure how much more time I will spend on this since the air system works fine under way and meets all DOT specs.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: