Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 20, 2014, 02:49:53 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: By clicking on any ad, a hotlink takes you directly to the advertiserís website.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Webasto Hook-up  (Read 2452 times)
Oonrahnjay

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2013, 04:57:29 PM »

There are lots of Webasto schematics available if you do some Googling - here's an example ...

The first thing that jumps out at me in this if all the fans, pumps, etc (and the Webasto unit itself is an electricity gobbler) -- you're talking about big electric loads here for things that don't even make any heat.  Not saying it's not a great system, but consider all the electric power you'll need, in addition to the diesel fuel you'll be buying. 

Bruce H; Wallace (near Wilmington) NC
1976 Daimler (British) Double-Decker Bus; 34' long
6-cyl, 4-stroke, Leyland O-680 engine

(New Email -- brucebearnc@ (theGoogle gmail place) .com)
wg4t50

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2013, 05:28:27 PM »

Some very crazy contraptions I think.
Back to the Fuel fired furnace, I have had the Aqua Hot system in my Foretravel for over 5 years, it uses 4 thermostats and circulation pumps for zones, bedroom, bath, front, basement, and engine warmer.  Not a simple looking setup, but it is in and works great. I have had it down to the -5f and all very comfy and no water freeze ups etc.  Down side, they can get costly if you need the motor or pump, other items are reasonable.  the UP side, mine has been very reliable and provides all the warmth needed or wanted, plus plenty hot water for great showers.
One other point, while driving, the boiler does not need to run much if any as the water is heated by the engine loop, keeping everyting warm & comfy.  While on the  boiler, it burns 1/3 gal per hour, but seems most say 2-3 gal a day at most, must more econ than the LPGas.

MCI7 20+ Yrs
Foretravel w/ISM500
WG4T CW for over 50 wpm for ever.
Central Virginia
Ed Hackenbruch

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2013, 06:04:16 PM »

Jeremy,  i kind of like the styling of the Abingdon Coach, what is it? Looks to be about 30 ft. or a little over 9 meters for you? Grin

1968 MCI 5A with 8V71 and Allison MT644 transmission.  Western USA
Jeremy

1987 Bedford Plaxton

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2013, 07:03:42 PM »

Jeremy,  i kind of like the styling of the Abingdon Coach, what is it? Looks to be about 30 ft. or a little over 9 meters for you? Grin

It's a Duple Super Vega, from 1962ish (at least, the ones in the photo below are both from 1962). Duple was later taken over by Plaxton, who built my bus

Jeremy

PS - The later Duple Viceroy has always been my all-time favourite 'classic' bus - really elegant and stylish, in my opinion

(Sorry - drifting this thread away from the subject of Webastos)

A shameless plug for my business - visit www.magazineexchange.co.uk for back issue magazines - thousands of titles covering cars, motorbikes, aircraft, railways, boats, modelling etc. You'll find lots of interest, although not much covering American buses sadly.
Ed Hackenbruch

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2013, 08:52:28 PM »

Don't be sorry about the thread drift, not the first time it has happened in a topic, and in this case very well worth it.  Looks like the 50s and 60s were great decades for styling on both sides of the pond.   Grin

1968 MCI 5A with 8V71 and Allison MT644 transmission.  Western USA
opus

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: August 17, 2013, 07:59:50 AM »

If you are going to be in cold country you best be thinking Webasto, propane isnt going to cut it.
I left my Webasto hooked up as it was from the factory.  Only thing I did was put in 2 thermostats, front and rear.  Granted my bus was a school bus so I have big heaters.  We've been parked at -15 and been fine.

1995 BB All-American - A Transformation.
akroyaleagle

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: August 17, 2013, 02:52:50 PM »

These comments are mine only and are here simply for info for the original poster. It is not my intention to start a flame war, only to present some other considerations and my experience.

Having been one of the folks that helped get this Board started, I hate the fact that I have to preface a post with that! But that's the reality of todays World.

Propane works fine in cold country if the coach is properly insulated and has thermopane windows. The only problem is it doesn't flow very well at extreme low temps. -20 or below. So the tanks must be topped off more often.

We've used ours at -40 and it works fine. Our old motor home did also but wasn't insulated well so the heater ran constantly.

I can only imagine the condensation from ventless heaters! The normal RV heaters do not cause that. The propane cook stove will. Open a vent or window a bit to solve that.

Popular RV heaters are available in 40,000 btu. They are relatively cheap compared to the Webasto, ProHeat or others.

I have never been to a gathering of busses that at least one wasn't having problems with their Webasto.

They probably work very well for what they were designed for. Trucks and boats. I think they have become pretty standard in trucks now that engines are not allowed to idle overnight by many municipalities. I believe they are not used enough in coachs to keep them operating correctly. Most of them I have had the misfortune of being parked near stink to high heaven.

I know several that use catalytic heaters. I don't trust them and would never use on in a coach. Might as well have a Herman Nelson!

I also think the actions of some affect us all. The cost of RV Parks has nearly become prohibitive. Could it be because some of these rigs that use electric heat, stoves, clothes dryers and such have driven up the costs. I don't think the average host expects the overnighter to use that much electricity. Seasonal parks I have stayed in charge monthly rates plus electric. That seems fairer to all to me.

Joe Laird
'78 Eagle
Huron, South Dakota
opus

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: August 17, 2013, 03:07:32 PM »

No complaints from me.  Smiley  Operating costs for 40,000 btu of #2 is going to be cheaper than 40,000 btu from propane....yea? I dont have thermopane windows or great insulation.  I need every btu I can get. 

You are 100% on Webasto maintenance!  If you are a maintenance geek like me, you'll be fine but if not, you will regret a Webasto or any fuel oil heater.

1995 BB All-American - A Transformation.
wg4t50

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: August 17, 2013, 04:58:29 PM »

After reading most of these postings, I find a few interesting postings.
1- LP Gas useage at -40f,, that is total impossible as I understand due to at -30f you can carry it around in an open bucket as it will not boil off, making for very poor choice of heating fuel, why they make heaters for the fuel tank and convert from liquid to vapor.
2-Electrical power is also used/needed to run a LP furnace assuming it has a fan.
3-IF you have a well equiped coach, dual payne windows, good insulation, any heating system will work well within the temps it is in.  IE, a poorly insulated, single payne glass and open door is more difficult to keep comfy.
4-Having the Aqua Hot/Webasto setup, it is not for folks who take everything for granted, assuming everything runs for ever. IF taken care of, they do a great job and are very dependable (from esperience).
NOTHING is free nor real cheap that is worth having that you depend on.
MHO
Dave M

MCI7 20+ Yrs
Foretravel w/ISM500
WG4T CW for over 50 wpm for ever.
Central Virginia
Bill B /bus

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: August 18, 2013, 01:34:46 PM »

Since no real Webasto info has come forth other than fuel consumption it is time for a few facts.
Fuel consumption is 0.35GPH at 45,000 BTU output from the DBW2010, which is normally the installed unit.

About ten years ago I unplugged the bus in order to plow snow from around the bus. Seven days later while performing the same chore I found the bus still unplugged. The Webasto was operating when I plugged the cords back in to the outlet. I heard the blower speed increase. Then I ventured inside the bus. Warm at about 50F. Battery by E Meter about 60% charge. Four 8D's in series/parallel for 24V. So not an electrical hog at about 40AH per day. And I was in and out doing minor stuff and packing for a trip south.

Not troublefree but manageable. I have had to replace the drive motor and the shaft bearings once in six years. I suspect the culprit was bearing drag causing the motor failure. A new nozzle maybe every other year.

For those of us that live in the cold climates and can't escape until after Christmas it is the system of choice for comfortable interior, engine preheat and low cost on the road heating.

Bill

Bill & Lynn
MCI102A3, Series 50 w/HT70
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: