Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
December 21, 2014, 06:45:49 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: You will not incur forwarding fees when you are on the road.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Mattress  (Read 2144 times)
Tikvah

Ignore
« on: August 17, 2013, 01:39:00 PM »

Thinking of a comfortable but lightweight mattress.  Thinking maybe a Sleep Number.  Any experience, good or bad?  Is there another brand of good quality at a better price?
We have never slept on a bed of this type.  Our only reference to an air mattress is the cheap terrible blow-up beds for camping.  I don't want a plastic bed. 

Thoughts?

Dave

I couldn't repair my brakes, so I made my horn louder.
1989 MCI-102 A3
DD 6V92 Turbo, Alison
Tons of stuff to learn!
Started in Cheboygan, Michigan (near the Mackinaw Bridge).  Now home is anywhere we park
akroyaleagle

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2013, 02:10:03 PM »

I have three Select Comfort air beds. King in the coach, King in our bedroom and Queen in the spare bedroom. The queen was originally in the coach. (Now that I have reread your post, maybe ours are Sleep Number. Doesn't matter, they're what Ron has.)

I wouldn't have anything else now. we've slept on them since '97.

We have never had a leak. The one in the coach stays year round. So it sees temps well over 100 and to -40. That may be why one of the remotes doesn't display right on it and the queen! They work but just the display doesn't.

When you are not going to use the coach for a while or are going to change altitude much drain the air out. I have heard stories of them bursting when not adjusted before mountains. We have had ours get pretty hard when the air expanded but fortunately have never had one spring a leak.

Ron the BusNut has these for a VERY good price. That's where I got ours. I need to go over there and get replacements for my two remotes.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2013, 02:12:38 PM by akroyaleagle » Logged

Joe Laird
'78 Eagle
Huron, South Dakota
Ralph7

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2013, 03:28:14 PM »

We have a queen sleep number bed, and no problems. Yes you need to drop some pressure on major altitude changes.
         Also easy to make the bed, it is light weight.
Emcemv

1973 MCI MC-7 Combo

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2013, 03:30:00 PM »

Same here, select comfort for years, love it, not one problem.

Bruce

Bruce & Nancy Fagley
1973 MCI MC-7 Combo Freighter
450HP DD 8V-92T 2000 Reman
HT 740 Allison
Woodbury CT.
bevans6

1980 MCI MC-5C

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2013, 03:35:08 PM »

Just to be contrarian, I can't sleep on an air mattress.  Been in top hotels with air number mattresses, hated them.  No idea why.  I favor a top quality foam mattress for the bus.   Light weight, easy to move, cheap.  Had ours custom made to fit the exact dimensions.

Brian

1980 MCI MC-5C, 8V-71T from a M-110 self propelled howitzer
Spicer 8844 4 speed Zen meditation device
Vintage race cars -
1978 Lola T440 Formula Ford
1972 NTM MK-4 B/SR
Gerry H

1992 Prevost LeMirage XL-40 8V92 740 Allison

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2013, 06:38:53 PM »

Tikvah: I have 2 Select Comfort air mattresses. A king 5000 in the master bedroom of my house, and a i8 expanded queen in my coach. Love them both. The i8 I like better cause I added my own 3" - 5lb memory foam. Makes a big difference over the cheap oem stuff. The 5000 I bought from the company, the i8 I bought piece by piece off ebay for cheap, all new never used parts. Never any problems. Comfort and light weight, case you need to move it out of the way in a hurry. Good Luck Gerry H

Forest Lake, Minnesota
Land of 10,000 mosquitoes and a few cool buses
Tikvah

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2013, 06:42:57 PM »

So, do I understand correctly, you put 3" of memory foam on top of the factory mattress?  Why?

I couldn't repair my brakes, so I made my horn louder.
1989 MCI-102 A3
DD 6V92 Turbo, Alison
Tons of stuff to learn!
Started in Cheboygan, Michigan (near the Mackinaw Bridge).  Now home is anywhere we park
Cary and Don

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2013, 07:10:01 PM »

We have the 3" 5lb memory foam on all our beds.  It takes the pressure points away.  Don has a really bad back so the air beds do not have enough support for him.

Cary

1973 05 Eagle
Neoplan AN340
sdc53

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2013, 01:35:29 AM »

We love our tempurpedic memory foam bed. I saw a non-tempurpedic model at Costco for sale in a box a while back, they ship compressed.  Move it in and open the box and it expands.  Could be handy for install.

Scott
Gladstone, OR
1969 PD4107
opus

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2013, 08:08:48 AM »

I bought a good foam mattress for the house, meh.  After a couple years I got one of those mattresses in a box from Walmart, as mentioned above.  Cut the straps....poof, one mattress.  Its not bad at all and I think a queen was only $149 or so, free shipping.  Then I got one for the bus, perfect.  Then I got one for the kid.

We all seem to like them.

1995 BB All-American - A Transformation.
robertglines1
steam nut

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2013, 01:43:10 PM »

We like what we have in the house so much we have same in bus---seams like a bit of home to take with us..  If you find something that gives you sleeping comfort why change.  I do have a air bed for guest that has a cell design. Have slept on it and it was ok.

Bob@Judy  98 XLE prevost with 3 slides --Home done---last one! SW INdiana
5B Steve

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2013, 05:46:16 PM »

I have  Queen Temper Pedic in mine, sleeps great.

Steve 5B.....
Oonrahnjay

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2013, 06:12:26 PM »

I saw a non-tempurpedic model at Costco for sale in a box a while back, they ship compressed.  Move it in and open the box and it expands.  Could be handy for install. 

That's what I got - master bedroom in two houses and the bus (all kings).  Love it - I mean LOVE it!  Great comfort, bad back - motorcycle racing when I was younger ... yada yada ...  Best mattress I've ever had.

Bruce H; Wallace (near Wilmington) NC
1976 Daimler (British) Double-Decker Bus; 34' long
6-cyl, 4-stroke, Leyland O-680 engine

(New Email -- brucebearnc@ (theGoogle gmail place) .com)
Gerry H

1992 Prevost LeMirage XL-40 8V92 740 Allison

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2013, 06:25:53 PM »

Tikvah: There are more than one model of Select Comfort beds. Each model has different kinds and thicknesses of foam over and sometimes under the air bags. You should investigate more about the different models, each one is different. Go to a store and check them out, ask about the differences. Better foam means it sleeps better, holds it's form better and doesn't compress like cheaper foam does.  Here is a pic showing my bed and mattress cover which has a separate pocket zippered on top meant to hold a piece of 3" foam. I was laying mine out in the picture to trim my foam choice (3" 5lb) from king size to expanded queen size. Sorry bout the mess - under construction! Gerry H
« Last Edit: August 18, 2013, 06:38:49 PM by Gerry H » Logged

Forest Lake, Minnesota
Land of 10,000 mosquitoes and a few cool buses
belfert

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2013, 06:34:08 PM »

I use a somewhat firm innerspring mattress in the bus, but I don't spend all that many nights in the bus.  At home I have a Sleep Number mattress that I really like.  It is the most basic model with no foam covering.  I have no issues with it.

Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: