Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
December 21, 2014, 08:32:59 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: It will not get torn up or crushed if you back over it with your bus.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: help ID this device  (Read 688 times)
treeplanter

the grey ghost,1971 GMC 5305A

Ignore
« on: August 19, 2013, 09:46:06 AM »

I don't know what this device is or does, can anyone help educate me. It looks like it has an adjustment wheel or valve wheel on the top.Thanks.

Timothy
Bill B /bus

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2013, 10:03:11 AM »

Can't make the picture big enough to really see. Appears to be an adjustable air pressure regulator.

Bill

Bill & Lynn
MCI102A3, Series 50 w/HT70
treeplanter

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2013, 11:11:08 AM »

Here's a larger photo, it's located on the passenger side next to the blower motors that use to heat the bus(71 GMC fishbowl)one of the tubes has been pinched closed,could it be a device from when it was an actual bus?

Timothy
Paso One

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2013, 11:33:11 AM »

That is the air pressure regulator that controls the Grad-u-stat that controls the heat inside the bus.

It is set by air pressure min and max settings etc... so it doesn't  come on and off to many times ie: temp differential range.

If you don't have the original heaters you don't need it.

68 5303 Fishbowl 40' x 102"
6V71  V730 4:10
Oonrahnjay

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2013, 11:38:51 AM »

Here's a larger photo,

Yeah, but not by much.   I have a couple of pressure regulating valves on my bus.  The originals, on the bus from England, were leaking from every adjustment screw, gasket, thread, etc.  I ordered a couple of new ones from Bendix, they were visually identical to the old, corroded, worn out valves.  They look nothing like this.

But that's not saying that they're not a different model of regulating valves from Bendix, or an older valve from Bendix, or a regulating valve from Haldex or Meritor or another vendor.  But this one is not anything like regulating valves I've seen.

Any idea where the tubes run?  Is the "pinched" one cut off as part of the pinch, or is it just pinched and running somewhere else?  If you can find what those tubes are connected to, it will probably tell you what the valve does.

UPDATE:  There's reliable confirmation info from Paso One (who knows the exact function of that valve).  My comment doesn't really help much.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2013, 11:41:42 AM by Oonrahnjay » Logged

Bruce H; Wallace (near Wilmington) NC
1976 Daimler (British) Double-Decker Bus; 34' long
6-cyl, 4-stroke, Leyland O-680 engine

(New Email -- brucebearnc@ (theGoogle gmail place) .com)
treeplanter

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2013, 08:55:44 PM »

Thanks for everyones help, i will trace lines but it's probably the grad u stat regulator as paso one describes since he has almost the same bus. Have not yet been able to get into the heater flip down door area due to the air throttle lines running unprotected across them,it's on the list though! 

Timothy
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: