Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 22, 2014, 07:35:01 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: It can be read on any computer, iPad, smart phone, or compatible device.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Weighing the Bus  (Read 5270 times)
TheHollands!

Ignore
« on: August 18, 2013, 05:45:58 PM »

Had some fun this past week while visiting Scott Bennett. I have never weighed my bus and as I was building it have roughly kept a tally on what I thought it might weigh. Scott hooked me up with a local scale and we headed down there with fellow bus owner Shaun (herd of turtles). We all took guesses before rolling on. 34800lbs. I have a 1984 MCI -9. My informal tally was surprisingly close although I was dreading the possibilty of being over weight. Have other folks been more calculated as the've done there buildouts?
Craig

The Hollands!
1984 MCI-9
www.tillersandtravelers.wordpress.com
Musical Nomads
5B Steve

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2013, 06:12:37 PM »

I had no idea what mine weighed untill heading north to the Sturgis ralley a few weeks back on hwy 29N . A sign said all trucks , buses , motorhomes ect. This scale was north of sioux city, Ia. I pulled up on the scale , stopped and the sign above  said precede to the back of the building. What'this all about. Inspection? Weight
what? Top the tanks off several miles back. 149 gal on board, 110 gal fresh water.  Could I be overloaded (oh! God hope not)  long story short they were asking everyone where they were headed and if to Sturgis do you have anything on board if you were going to be a vendor there. I guess it was a REVENUE THING.   I was free to go. Turned an walked out the door, stopped turned around , went back in side and ask what was my weight.

They said it 23,386 LB. Guess I have along way to go before it's over weight. Maybe thats the reason it gets good fuel mileage.

Steve 5B...
Dave5Cs

1979 MCI MC5Cs 6V-71 HT-740 Allison, Roseville, CA

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2013, 06:33:21 PM »

OK now, What did each axle weight, then what does each corner weigh. Go back to the scales and have more fun. Grin

Dave5Cs

niles500
Niles500

ROSIE

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2013, 06:39:29 PM »

Steve, they have a weigh station on I90 near Rapid City too that doesn't state if the vehicle is commercial or not - Even though I have an RVIA sticker I went through - Still not sure if it was required - I guess your saying I did the right thing but it was still confusing -

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")  

- Niles
Seangie
www.herdofturtles.org

And We're Off... Like a Herd of Turtles

Ignore
Re:
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2013, 06:46:58 PM »

Craig -

Ill be weighing mine on the same scale before I leave here.  I am hoping that we are under 30!  Ill post back here once we get weighed. 

-Sean

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 4

'Cause you know we,
we live in a van (Eagle 10 Suburban)
Driving through the night
To that old promised land'
Ed Hackenbruch

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2013, 07:43:56 PM »

Steve, i think that you still have about 10,000 lbs. to go before being over weight. Smiley

1968 MCI 5A with 8V71 and Allison MT644 transmission.  Western USA
Scott Bennett
Scott & Heather MCI-9

Scott & Heather

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2013, 08:33:54 PM »

Craig -

Ill be weighing mine on the same scale before I leave here.  I am hoping that we are under 30!  Ill post back here once we get weighed. 

-Sean

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 4

Pretty sure you weigh around 45,000 lbs Sean. You might need to add a bogie to that Eagle Smiley

Scott & Heather
1984 MCI9 6V92-turbo with 9 inch roof raise & conversion in progress.
http://www.scottmichaelbennett.com/p/our-bus.html
˙ǝɯoɔlǝʍ suoıʇɐuop ˙snq ʍǝu ɐ pǝǝu ʎlqɐqoɹd ll,ǝʍ 'sıɥʇ pɐǝɹ uɐɔ noʎ ɟı
bevans6

1980 MCI MC-5C

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2013, 03:51:40 AM »

I have to register my bus for actual weight in Nova Scotia (sucks, it costs way more than my insurance!), so on the way back from passing my DOT inspection I ran it across the local highway maintenance crew scales, which they leave on 24/7.  It was 11,150 Kg, which is 24,530.  That is loaded light, with no water, but almost full fuel.  I think that with 60 gallons of water and our normal luggage it will be closer to 25,500, which is very close to my estimate of 26K.

Brian

1980 MCI MC-5C, 8V-71T from a M-110 self propelled howitzer
Spicer 8844 4 speed Zen meditation device
Vintage race cars -
1978 Lola T440 Formula Ford
1972 NTM MK-4 B/SR
Jon

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2013, 04:25:44 AM »

The first thing I do when I get a different coach is load all our stuff in it, full the water tank, fill it with fuel and get it weighed.

How can anyone drive a coach without weighing it? That is how the correct tire pressures are determined.

Jon

Current coach 2006 Prevost, Liberty conversion
Knoxville, TN
white-eagle

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2013, 09:15:32 AM »

are those iowa scales mandatory?  last few weights we did showed a tad over the gvw, like maybe a ton.  not sure what that might mean since we are not commercial, but i don't feel like stopping to get weighed and find out i need to use up a 100 gal of fuel and empty all tanks.  and we have to go to sd to get new drivers licenses.  maybe i'll just skip ia.

Tom
1991 Eagle 15 and proud of it.
8V92T, 740, Fulltime working on the road.

Fran was called to a higher duty 12/16/13. I lost my life navigator.
Jon

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2013, 09:52:17 AM »

Unless you are a commercial vehicle you are not subject to going over the scales or having a roadside weight check any more than a conventional RV or travel trailer.

And we aren't going to tell anyone that you are overweight. (Your coach, not you)

Jon

Current coach 2006 Prevost, Liberty conversion
Knoxville, TN
B_K

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2013, 10:39:16 AM »

Unless you are a commercial vehicle you are not subject to going over the scales or having a roadside weight check any more than a conventional RV or travel trailer.

And we aren't going to tell anyone that you are overweight. (Your coach, not you)

I had no idea what mine weighed untill heading north to the Sturgis ralley a few weeks back on hwy 29N . A sign said all trucks , buses , motorhomes ect. This scale was north of sioux city, Ia. I pulled up on the scale , stopped and the sign above  said precede to the back of the building. What'this all about. Inspection? Weight
what? Top the tanks off several miles back. 149 gal on board, 110 gal fresh water.  Could I be overloaded (oh! God hope not)  long story short they were asking everyone where they were headed and if to Sturgis do you have anything on board if you were going to be a vendor there. I guess it was a REVENUE THING.   I was free to go. Turned an walked out the door, stopped turned around , went back in side and ask what was my weight.

They said it 23,386 LB. Guess I have along way to go before it's over weight. Maybe thats the reason it gets good fuel mileage.

Steve 5B...

Jon not to dispute you as you are in most cases 100% correct!

However here is where it gets tricky! They put up a sign saying ALL trucks , buses , motorhomes ect.
So any law abiding citizen that pulls in as directed is questioned.
Once someone admits they have ANYTHING they plan to sell there, then they just became "COMMERCIAL" and are subject to all rules governing commercial vehicles.

First and for most will be a ticket for not being registered as such and no having USDOT #'s on the side of the bus.
Second will be log books and such.

So yes Steve you are correct it is a revenue thing!

I'd bet $100 that anyone in a motor home, NON-Commercial bus or any other non commercial looking rig that just rolled right on past the scales would not be chased down and harassed.
But once you "voluntarily" pull in as directed to by the sign they will take advantage of it and question you.
Also those that have company names on their rigs and trailers and such that don't stop are subject to being chased down and made to return to the scale where they will go over them with a fine tooth comb and "try to find ANYTHING to make an example of them"!
Grin  BK  Grin
belfert

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2013, 11:10:35 AM »

I have never pulled into a weigh station, but neither have I seen one that says RVs or motorhomes must weigh.  There is a weigh station along I80 that does weigh in motion and the sign often says truck pull in, but I have never done so and have never been chased down.

Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN
Seangie
www.herdofturtles.org

And We're Off... Like a Herd of Turtles

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2013, 11:42:13 AM »

Pretty sure you weigh around 45,000 lbs Sean. You might need to add a bogie to that Eagle Smiley

Scott -  You may be right.  I think we will leave the 4 turtles with you. Seeing as 3 of them are girls.. that should loose us about 7.5k right there.  And if you'd stop feeding me ice cream every night we just might make weight!

-Sean
www.herdofturtles.org
1984 Eagle Model 10S

'Cause you know we,
we live in a van (Eagle 10 Suburban)
Driving through the night
To that old promised land'
akroyaleagle

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2013, 01:26:42 PM »

I don't remember ever seeing a sign that says RVs must stop anywhere. I have travelled from Alaska to Key West and most points in the US, Canada and the northern half of Mexico.

I can find no requirement in the SD State Laws for RVs to stop.

I did come across this but caution it is not State Law, only AAA interpretation. If you expand the State name, you will find weigh stations in the alphabetical listings.

http://drivinglaws.aaa.com/laws/weigh-stations/

It would not surprise me that the State was stopping RVs at border stations to inquire about commercial activities. If you are involved in commercial activities in any way you are probably Commercial!

I had a bit of a run-in with a Canadian DOT Officer once about converted buses not being Commercial Vehicles. I did not convince him even when I produced the law. They can get Pig-Headed on occasion.

States are getting a bit carried away with possible new found revenue sources. South Dakopta is one that has a law that State sales tax must be paid on anything bought out of state includung the Internet.

When I moved here in 2007 from Alaska, I had to pay sales tax on all of my vehicles I brought with me. Their justification was, "You didn't pay sales tax in Alaska". It got more stupid the farther I pursued it, including Sate Senators and Representatives. I paid the tax.

« Last Edit: August 19, 2013, 01:30:56 PM by akroyaleagle » Logged

Joe Laird
'78 Eagle
Huron, South Dakota
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: