Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
July 30, 2014, 12:22:17 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: You can zoom in to make the text larger and easier to read.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: RV parks  (Read 2305 times)
akroyaleagle

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2013, 08:36:42 AM »

I know many folks that have memberships in these programs. Most seem happy.

I investigated joining several of them in the early 90s when I went full time. I actually bought coupons from one heavily advertised in the RV magazines. It supposedly had parks everywhere. After carefully inspecting it, I found it didn't have parks that were anywhere near where most folks travelled. Might have been OK for locals or those that like to hang out in the same area. I couldn't get any of the more popular areas to accept the coupons. I found one park in Radium Hot Springs, BC that would take the coupon. They also allowed us to use them past the advertised limit of days. That's the only park that I found that would honor the program. None in the US! After threatening to sue them, they refunded the unused coupons.

I called another to find out more info and was told they wouldn't reveal the parks until after I joined. I did not join.

I believe this is like resort vacation shares. If you know a year or so in advance where you want to stay, go to the same places year after year, and want to lock yourself into that, it might be for you.

As in the vacation shares, there are an awful lot of them on the market just for assuming the dues.

Joe Laird
'78 Eagle
Huron, South Dakota
Ed Hackenbruch

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2013, 10:05:10 AM »

Dave, with the zone pass deal that they have going right now, you can use any of the parks in the zone that you want. If you want to go out of the zone you would have to buy a zone pass for that area.One or two of the parks we have been in have had certain areas set aside for certain members, like KOA members. The rest of the parks have been wide open/first come, first served. (you do have to make a reservation ahead for all of the parks).  We have been in several where we had W/E but no sewer, just used the rv dump on the way out. Been in several where we have had W/E/S.  Hope that answers some of your questions... We also have Passport America and it has more than paid for itself over the years. Also have AOR and ACN which is thru our Western Horizons membership and allows us to stay in some places for $6-$12 a nite. Just used AOR at Cascade Meadows in La Pine Or. a couple of weeks ago and it was $50 for 4 nites. We were there a couple of years ago and i had forgotten that they took AOR so i paid full price and it was $120 for 4 nites. Didn't remember about it until a couple of days after we left there!!! We moved to a new park yesterday and had no internet or phone in our spot and found out we were having power problems too. Moved about 100 yards away and now have phone and good internet and no power problems so far. Grin   

1968 MCI 5A with 8V71 and Allison MT644 transmission.  Western USA
fe2_o3

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2013, 10:24:12 AM »

Don...Hello and welcome to the area...We've belonged to Thousand Trails for about 20 years and live in the Everett area north of Seattle along I 5..If you plan to spend time around here then it might make sense to join, if you can find the right deal..I tried to call you this morning to chat about your trip through the area but missed connection... If you would like me to try again, let me know and I can offer plenty of opinions or maybe a little information on other camp grounds along the coast..Either way, while you're here, enjoy our little corner of the universe...Cable

Sofar Sogood
1953-4104
KB7LJR
Everett, WA.
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2013, 11:51:17 AM »

Just check the FMCA magazine plenty of member ships for sale there all kinds plenty to choose from most for only a few bucks and the transfer fee

Live each day like it was your last,one day it will be
rip

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: August 23, 2013, 08:41:25 PM »

I was in Canada for a few days but if you want to call I would love to chat.  Don
gus

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: August 24, 2013, 11:18:47 AM »

I use Passport America off and on because there aren't many of them.

My system is to choose a park when I know my schedule for sure, then renew my PA membership if it has lapsed.

Just a few days in a moderately priced park will enable you to get your money back, after that it is all gravy.

PD4107-152
PD4104-1274
Ash Flat, AR
joel_newton

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: August 25, 2013, 09:27:57 AM »

We have been TT members for over 20 years.  We joined when our girls were young.  We loved their "Preserve" called "Lake of the Springs" (LOTS).  It was beautiful, many nice amenities, secure and family oriented. It is located in Oregon House, CA about a two and a half hour trip with trailer from our home.  It is the only Preserve we have used - and continue to use.

Back then their motto was "We are famly." Gotta say it was true for many years. Unfortunately, their income from dues did not cover the cost of operating the Preserves. They
became a marketing operation using membership fees to cover operations.  That doesn't work for long.  They began to offer "upgrades" to generate more income. After several changes in ownership, TT is now owned by Equity Life Style Properties.  The good news is they are now apparently financially stable. 

We have upgraded our membership several times over the years.  We now have about every benefit the membership has.  My dues were frozen when I reached 65. Each of our three girls have a family membership.  One of them will get our membership when we "expire."  One of the perks of the last upgrade was a free, one week, "anytime" stay in a "Getaway Cabin" for ten years. We love the cabins.  We stay two weeks in the trailer and the last week in a cabin.  Basically, the cost of the membership upgrade paid for the cabin.

Overall we feel the TT membership was a cost effective investment for us.  There have been
some disappointments specifically related to Lake of the Springs - which may be true for other preserves.  They have taken all the sewer sites and put rental trailers, yurts and cabins on them. Members can now rent a space for a year at a time.  No one else can use it.  Some nice sites now unavailable.  They have opened some (all?) Preserves to the public.  At least on weekends at Lake of the Springs you no longer have that sense of security, no more "family" and more obnoxious campers. Weekdays are still relatively mellow.  Off season is great.

The value for you would depend on usage and the cost of membership.  I think you will enjoy
the Preserves.  LOTS only has WiFi at the lodge - fine with us.  Not sure what other Preserves have.

There are many gorgeous Preserves in Oregon and Washington.  I would love to visit them. 
But, like my floundering bus conversion, external circumstances drive out lives.  At 71 dreams
start to dim.

Near Santa Rosa, California
Paramount Studios converted Gillig
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: