Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
July 25, 2014, 06:51:19 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: New ownership began September 1st 2012!  Please send any comments to info@busconversions.com
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I bought the 6V92  (Read 1649 times)
chuckd

Ignore
« on: August 23, 2013, 10:39:42 AM »

Decided what the heck and bought the silver 6V92 from the Gillig bus.

In a couple of weeks will post some pics, but a two part question

The engine is a DDEC controlled engine.  Interstate diesel here in town, has converted a lot of these to mechanical engines, sooooo - do I take out the wiring harness and convert to a DDEC (I do not know the generation of DDEC) or go back to a mechanical engine?

Thanks

Chuckd
1979 Prevost
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2013, 10:49:41 AM »

Find out what generation it is the IV and III are not bad on a 2 stroke if a 1 or 2 convert it if it's the late run of a DDEC II the cams needs to be changed it can get costly 

I still think you are selling the green engine a little short while the silver is a better engine tons of the green engine are still on the road with their fresh coat of silver paint    
« Last Edit: August 23, 2013, 11:01:03 AM by luvrbus » Logged

Live each day like it was your last,one day it will be
chuckd

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2013, 11:24:10 AM »

It should be a II, but not sure.  I am probably going to run my "green" engine for a long time, new engine may be just a core just in case.

Chuckd
Prevost
Stillwater mn
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2013, 11:57:56 AM »

LOL you will need to kill the green engine it won't die on its own if you keep it cool and add oil they to seem run for ever

Scott Bennett
Scott & Heather MCI-9

Scott & Heather

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2013, 09:47:43 AM »

Hey Cliff,

What say you about the blue engines? Reliabilt? Mine was rebuilt in 2001. Coach has a little over 600,000 miles on it. Converted to the 4 spd 740 trans. Just wanted your honest thoughts...good? bad? ugly?

Scott & Heather
1984 MCI9 6V92-turbo with 9 inch roof raise & conversion in progress.
http://www.scottmichaelbennett.com/p/our-bus.html
˙ǝɯoɔlǝʍ suoıʇɐuop ˙snq ʍǝu ɐ pǝǝu ʎlqɐqoɹd ll,ǝʍ 'sıɥʇ pɐǝɹ uɐɔ noʎ ɟı
Scott Bennett
Scott & Heather MCI-9

Scott & Heather

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2013, 02:28:15 AM »

Bump for cliff. No one ever mentions reliabilt here and I really am curious on opinions :-)

Scott & Heather
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2013, 03:56:15 AM »

They are good engines Scott but they are not a rebuilt they are a re manufactured engine by DD huge difference and carry a hefty price from DD

You have 3 stages of engine overall the in-frame,out of frame and the re manufactured and the price reflects in the different stages   

The price of DD parts today is outrageous and I heard yesterday they did another price increase of 3% across the board and the shop labor increase will probably follow it always does so does the aftermarket parts price   

good luck
« Last Edit: August 27, 2013, 04:25:01 AM by luvrbus » Logged

Scott Bennett
Scott & Heather MCI-9

Scott & Heather

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2013, 10:39:33 AM »

Interesting...ok, so it's from DD. Got it. Thank you so much. Didn't realize that. So we have $$$ increases to look forward too? Great. Time to get a cummins.

Scott & Heather
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2013, 10:43:36 AM »

LOL you haven't bought Cummins parts have you Scott

muldoonman
1991 Prevost 8V92TA

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2013, 12:32:43 PM »

Neighbor of mine has a couple Cats left in his truck fleet and told me jokingly the other day he, after overhauling a cat,  was going back to DD's.
Ralph7

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2013, 01:36:22 PM »

At the Dodge dealer last week I was in informed they have done several cummins 5.9/6.7?  injectors/pump rebuilds  on newer pickups  because of contaminated fuel (fuel tanks in the bed), $6,000 and that is no joke.
          The better quality clutch for said pickups, parts only $650.  --Exhaust manifold no gaskets $500.

oldmansax
Tom & Phyllis

'82 Bluebird Wanderlodge PT40

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2013, 06:34:53 PM »

At the Dodge dealer last week I was in informed they have done several cummins 5.9/6.7?  injectors/pump rebuilds  on newer pickups  because of contaminated fuel (fuel tanks in the bed), $6,000 and that is no joke.
          The better quality clutch for said pickups, parts only $650.  --Exhaust manifold no gaskets $500.

We took in a '99 1 ton that had a engine fire. Still ran but wiring harness was melted. Dodge told me there where 3  harnesses for that year. Mine would be $2200 payable in advance but that's not the bad part.

The harness is only made somewhere overseas & the plant only works 3 or 4 months a year. And they only make whichever harness they get the most calls for. I could pay the money, wait a year & still not get the harness.

I found a used one out in New Mexico. It was still $650 + shipping.

TOM

'82 BlueBird WanderLodge PT40 being rebuilt
Delaware

DON'T STEAL! The government hates competition!
bevans6

1980 MCI MC-5C

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2013, 05:23:51 AM »

Modern diesel light truck engines are getting touchy.  To get emissions down they have to go to very high pressure fuel injection.  The pumps are very picky about fuel lubricity and water in fuel.  Some manufacturers are not doing warranty work if they feel the owner bought fuel with water in it, which I have no idea how you can tell that when you are at the pump, and for Fords anyway, the bill is usually around $16K for a new fuel system.  Not happening a lot, but enough for it to become known.  But it's more than that.  I had a 2003 Dodge pickup.  The brake flex hose to the rear axle started to rust on the fitting, and I failed an annual inspection.  Fine, it's a 16" long flex hose with a fitting on each end.  Dealer only part, no aftermarket available anywhere, and $350 at the dealer.  I was about sick to my stomach over that little bit of stupidity.   

Brian

1980 MCI MC-5C, 8V-71T from a M-110 self propelled howitzer
Spicer 8844 4 speed Zen meditation device
Vintage race cars -
1978 Lola T440 Formula Ford
1972 NTM MK-4 B/SR
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: