Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
December 22, 2014, 07:00:16 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: It takes up much less space in your bus.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Contenental Trailways PD4104's pulling cargo trailers.  (Read 3969 times)
Stan

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2006, 05:06:33 PM »

Fred: You are right in that a 1100x22 tire would be on a pretty skookum trailer but it would make a big difference where they are. If it is a four wheel trailer (waggon), there is zero tongue weight and a  DD 6-71 could pull quite a load. Put the same four wheels in tandem configuration and put 10% tongue weight on the hitch and the empty trailer would be a significant load on the back of the bus

I would not be surprised that the company in question did pull large triailers, and possibly overloaded, if they ran passenger buses with insuffiecient brakes as quoted by the driver.
roadrunnertex

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2006, 07:00:18 PM »

Ok Folks more information on the trailers.
I just talked to Howard Shaft the Trailways driver who was the driver who told the story.
The cargo trailers were about 8' wide by 10' long single axle with electric brakes.
The hitch on the PD4104's were a military style Pindle hitch.
The trailers were ballanced when loaded with freight so very little tounge weight on the bus and the hitch.
Wichita,Kansas was Continental Central Lines main body shop where the PD4104 reworked to haul the trailers.
jlv Roll Eyes
kyle4501

PD4501 South Carolina

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2006, 08:33:28 PM »

Ahh, Mr Vickers & his fine self has so graciously provided a picture of this mystery trailer. THANKS! It is my pleasure to post it.

A very short trailer with minimal tongue weight IF loaded properly. Big IF. I'd still like to know what structural modifications were done & what failure modes they observed & how they were fixed.

I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant. (R.M. Nixon)
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: