Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
August 27, 2014, 02:08:27 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription:  It will not get lost in the mail.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Bus construction questions.  (Read 1251 times)
zxt

Ignore
« on: August 28, 2013, 01:15:24 PM »

Okay, I've read a lot of stuff, none of it official, and gotten nothing out of the reading but confused.
I want to know how buses are built.
Here are my specific questions I need answers to in order to generate more intelligent questions.

Where does the stainless steel start and stop on an MCI 102C3 and 102D3?
Where does the stainless steel start and stop on a Prevost? (Pick your favorite model, I am ignorant of them all.)
Are all Eagles all carbon steel underneath?
Are all Eagles 96" wide?
Are all VanHools all carbon steel underneath?
Is there a web site that explains all this so no one has to waste their time answering these questions?

Forgive my abruptness. I am practicing brevity in order to obtain clarity. And besides, that's just the way I am.

"When you think you have become a man of some importance, try ordering another mans dog around."-Cowboy wisdom.
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2013, 01:36:32 PM »

I will answer your Eagle question no not all Eagles are carbon steel in the late 80's most were Cor/Ten steel for the sub frame

No not all Eagles are 96 wide the model 15 was 102 wide 40 or 45 ft long in the 60's Eagle made the 07 it was 102 wide 40 ft long  

The MCI,Vanhool Prevost can weigh in on the others if your asking they all (buses)rust even with the S/S
« Last Edit: August 28, 2013, 05:11:53 PM by luvrbus » Logged

Life is short drink the good wine first
Jon

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2013, 01:40:30 PM »

Prevost XL and XLII motorhome chassis the stainless starts beneath the windows. Entertainer chassis the stainless starts at the top of the bay doors.

Jon

Current coach 2006 Prevost, Liberty conversion
Knoxville, TN
bevans6

1980 MCI MC-5C

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2013, 02:08:41 PM »

My MCI 5C is stainless from the belt-line down, that is from the interior floor down.  Above that it's mild steel and aluminium.  Some interior pieces are mild steel everywhere, you find bits inside the spare tire compartment, some of the framing at the back, but mostly that is stainless.  The exterior skin is pretty obvious.

Brian

1980 MCI MC-5C, 8V-71T from a M-110 self propelled howitzer
Spicer 8844 4 speed Zen meditation device
Vintage race cars -
1978 Lola T440 Formula Ford
1972 NTM MK-4 B/SR
Ralph7

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2013, 03:09:07 PM »

Exterior skin on bay doors stainless, exterior skin from the windows down stainless, The entire skeleton is steel. on MCI. The roof skin is aluminum. Most of the skeleton is square or rectangle tubing. Aluminum used in bays, inside walls.
chessie4905

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2013, 04:45:44 PM »

On early Eagles, they rivet the aluminum to rust.

GMC h8h 649#028
Pennsylvania-central
saddleup

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2013, 07:00:53 PM »

On early Eagles, they rivet the aluminum to rust.
At least when a Eagles rustin they look dam good doin it..lol

Box Elder,S.D.  Battle Mountain,NV

1974 Eagle 05 On the road, to Somewhere
Miss Scarlett

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2013, 07:33:52 PM »

My MCI had more rust than my Eagle. They can all rust...depends on where they spent their life.

Miss Scarlett is an Eagle 10 with a 6v92 and Allison 740
UPDATE: finished enough to use!!!- exterior will remain original.
-Dan
robertglines1
steam nut

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2013, 07:46:32 PM »

To each his own as far as taste/looks.  Body structure--frame design the Prevost has been the easiest for me to put slides in. They are still in business and have a good support and parts system.  I like them all!  I have done a MCI also. The newest you can afford would be my answer with the least rust.  Vanhool is interesting but most I have seen have been really rough.   Everyone has their Idea--form yours  and follow thru..Eagles are classic but are becoming quite rare in decent shape.   Poke prod  for rust and if you see rivets popping on sides that might be sign of hidden rust.  Bob

Bob@Judy  98 XLE prevost with 3 slides --Home done---last one! SW INdiana
chessie4905

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2013, 05:04:04 AM »

One thing that new owners don't think about is... where will parts other than common chassis parts be available from down the road? Remember, guys like Luke may retire some day. What then? Some brands are a chore for parts now; especially if from offshore.

GMC h8h 649#028
Pennsylvania-central
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2013, 06:11:48 AM »

The great part about a Eagle is any layman with a 4 inch grinder,a 150 dollar H/F welder and 1 inch square tubing it can be repaired not all that easy on a MCI,GM or Prevost and  with the truss design sub frame they were ahead of the times for strength  

Smack a Prevost,MCI or GM on the front corner hard enough they are head to bus haven not so with a Eagle
« Last Edit: August 29, 2013, 06:28:17 AM by luvrbus » Logged

Life is short drink the good wine first
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: