Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 02, 2014, 05:41:47 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This BB is intended for the sole purpose of sharing conversion and bus related information among visitors to our web site. These rules must be followed in order for us to continue this free exchange of info. No bad mouthing of any business or individual is permitted. Absolutely no items for sale are to be posted, except in the Spare Tire board. Interested in placing a classified or web ad, please contact our advertising dept. at 714-903-1784 or e-mail to: info@busconversions.com.

Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Can a 24 volt Proheat coolant heater be converted to 12 volt?  (Read 664 times)
Phil H / Chicago

Ignore
« on: September 03, 2013, 03:03:28 PM »

Hey guys....I got a Proheat model XL900 24 volt coolant heater from a friend a few years back and was going to install it is an Eagle 15 that I was working on but ended up not finishing it. I was told at the time it could be easily converted to 12 volt.

Well it has sat on my shelf for the last five years waiting for me to get another bus....well I think I might have found another Eagle I am interested in and started pulling stuff off the shelf to see what I might could use. When I started talking to others about using the Proheat unit I was told that it couldn't be converted from 24 to 12 volt. So, I just decided to try to ebay it but then decided before it sells I would get another opinion.....

Can it be converted?....how hard/costly is it?

Thanks much,
Phil
Stormcloud
FMCA#407220

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2013, 04:01:54 PM »

I was in the same situation, and ended up using a 12 volt to 24 volt converter.

http://www.samlexamerica.com/products/ProductDetail.aspx?pid=177

Runs the Webasto DBW2020 I have. Only trouble I had was blowing a fuse or 2 when the house battery bank voltage dropped too low (amperage went up).

Yes, I would do it again the same way. No, I have no interest whatsoever in this company.

Mark Morgan    near Brandon, Manitoba, Canada
1972 MCI-7     'PapaBus'  8v-71N MT654 Automatic
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2013, 04:29:58 PM »

Sell it the pump,blower motor, coil, control module and wiring harness plus other items would cost a small fortune to convert to 12v  
« Last Edit: September 03, 2013, 04:31:57 PM by luvrbus » Logged

Life is short drink the good wine first
Len Silva

Angle Parked in a Parallel Universe

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2013, 05:47:21 PM »

It looks like that unit only pulls 3 amps at 24 volts.  A DC-DC converter should be reasonable.

Hand Made Gifts

Ignorance is only bliss to the ignorant.
scanzel

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2013, 06:38:06 AM »

If you go to www.suremarine.com they sell the Proheat and if you look at the replacement prices for converting to 12 volt it would be better to just buy the correct one on Ebay. I had three of them all 12v sold two and am putting the new one in my coach. It is 12v wish it was 24v as my battery bank is 24v but I got a great deal on it so I will just run it of of 12v. To convert it you would need the water pump and the control module and a few other items.

Steve Canzellarini
Berlin, CT
1989 Prevost XL
Phil H / Chicago

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2013, 09:20:42 AM »

Thanks for the feedback guys....good to know my options.
OneLapper

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2013, 01:29:10 PM »

I bought a unused 24vdc Webasto 2010 from a forum member here. I then bought a non-working 12vdc 2010 from another member for very little money.  I suppose I lucked out but the 12vdc unit only needed bearings, wiring repairs and a major cleaning.  I ended up swapping the 12 volt components into the new 24vdc unit. Cost to swap from 24vdc to 12vdc was $150.  It'll be less if I sell the 24 volt components.  
« Last Edit: September 04, 2013, 01:37:29 PM by OneLapper » Logged

OneLapper
1964 PD4106-2853
www.markdavia.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: