Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
September 20, 2014, 05:01:39 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: It will not be stolen by your mailman or your neighbor who also may be into buses.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: In Need Of 8v71 Jake Brakes  (Read 764 times)
BRUISER

Ignore
« on: September 03, 2013, 09:40:38 AM »

I have recently been taking a lot of trips and when I hit the mountains I hate the idea of riding the brakes or being in 2nd gear to make sure I don't go to fast.

so I am on the hunt for some Jakes.

anyone know where to get a set for a 8v71 in a MC-9

thanks
Ken C

iMPAKS.com
Raleigh, NC
1983 MCI MC-9
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2013, 10:32:56 AM »

Don Fairchild 661-391-4520 with the price of the bridges, new fuel lines and if you want a fast idle combo switch set down they are not going to be cheap

Life is short drink the good wine first
bevans6

1980 MCI MC-5C

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2013, 10:37:20 AM »

When you are looking don't forget that you not only need the jake heads, you also need the exhaust valve bridge, one for each cylinder.  You will need new fuel pipes to clear the heads.  If you get the buffer switch you'd be in like downtown.  Even better would be a high-idle buffer switch...  I believe the latest version will have 71 and 92 marked on them, so you could find them from an 8V-92, but I don't know if the valve bridges are the same.

Brian

1980 MCI MC-5C, 8V-71T from a M-110 self propelled howitzer
Spicer 8844 4 speed Zen meditation device
Vintage race cars -
1978 Lola T440 Formula Ford
1972 NTM MK-4 B/SR
scanzel

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2013, 07:04:31 AM »

Check Ebay, there is a person selling them there with the high valve covers. May still need additional parts. Check with Don before buying on Ebay. He may advise on the Ebay purchase. Many of the 8v92's that the military just disposed of have Jake brakes. Might be able to find out who purchased all of these and see if they will sell just the Jakes. A few months ago there were a few hundred 8V92's auctioned off in Texas.

Steve Canzellarini
Berlin, CT
1989 Prevost XL
Lin

1965 MC-5a

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2013, 07:32:22 AM »

You will love them.  Make sure to do it as two stage.  Clifford says it's a waste of wire, but that's what we have, and it's great.  I think Tom C likes his that way too.  Don did mine. 

You don't have to believe everything you think.
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2013, 07:56:42 AM »

You can buy the masters and slaves all day long off a 92 series military engine those are 24v and will work on 71 series mostly the bridges are the problem not many 71 series had Jakes, bridges are at a premium you start paying $128.00 ea for 8 from a dealer it's not worth it IMO solenoids are $90.00 ea,jumper tube seals are $3.95 each, fuel lines are $160.00 a set, fast idle buffer will cost new $ 750.00 and plus the high dollar gaskets for the valve covers

If Don does not have a set he can call me I have a complete set with fast idle buffer or new regular buffer switch I may have a couple of the micro switches I have the valve covers also for a MCI

If you buy from Ebay they will need rebuilt,then you have a all day labor bill added to that it will cost you, to many blown engines in the past with people installing Jakes and not knowing what they are doing I am not saying you don't know how just advice  

Yep I do think the 2 stage Jakes are a waste of time and money on a 8v71  for the people that run the wire I will hook up a 2 stage brake but I am not going to run the wire lol they are useless with 3:33 or 3:70 rear gears unless you are in 1st or 2nd
« Last Edit: September 04, 2013, 08:01:30 AM by luvrbus » Logged

Life is short drink the good wine first
OneLapper

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2013, 02:15:47 PM »

I have Jakes on my 4106.  I love them!  I paid $500 for a complete set including the tall valve covers. But like Clifford said, plan on rebuilding them!  I installed them, then took them out, spent the day rebuilding, then reinstalled.  The rebuild kit was $300ish if I recall. 

I went with two stages, works well.  I'll agree that in fourth they don't feel powerful, but most of the time on the highway you don't really need them that much.  If I'm approaching a step grade I'll shift down to 3rd anyhow.  On a really step grade (6-9%) you'll be second and then you'll be happy you got them! And at that speed the two stage setup is handy. 

OneLapper
1964 PD4106-2853
www.markdavia.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: