Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
December 21, 2014, 04:35:09 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: It takes up much less space in your bus.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: suspension support under axle as air frame?  (Read 665 times)
solodon

Ignore
« on: September 04, 2013, 07:32:59 PM »

We've found that the airframe leaks air.  I'm going to clean the metal, POR15 treat and spray undercoating on the metal to reduce further rusting.  I'm going to add plates to the top of each bag to eliminate the air hole from the air frame.  What I'm thinking of doing is cutting a hole in the lower bag mounting plate, adding an air line to the suspension support, and using the suspension support under the axle as an air frame.  Who's done this or why shouldn't I.  I'm planning to drill a test hole and see if the support is air tight first.

Don
1979 MC9
8V71,Automatic.
Indianapolis, IN
Just getting started. Bags are in, interior metal out ready to insulate and cover, then do the floor
bevans6

1980 MCI MC-5C

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2013, 03:01:26 AM »

Why?  Most find that the suspension works fine with the standard bags plated, and going to rolling lobe bags is an option if you want to further improve the ride.  Tie the air supply to each side together so the two bags on each side have identical air pressure, tie all four together in the front to retain the stock three-point leveling. 

Brian

1980 MCI MC-5C, 8V-71T from a M-110 self propelled howitzer
Spicer 8844 4 speed Zen meditation device
Vintage race cars -
1978 Lola T440 Formula Ford
1972 NTM MK-4 B/SR
Rick 74 MC-8

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2013, 05:30:58 AM »

I just repaired the air beams on my MC-8. Then I replace the bags With rolling lobe And block off plates from Mohawk. Personally I think it rides better. Very easy to install. I've got new front shocks but I haven't installed them yet. I wanted to see how much difference with just replacing the bags.

Rick

About 20 Miles West Of Chicago
chessie4905

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2013, 06:41:37 AM »

Here at Mohawk:
http://www.mohawkmfg.com/parts/spring.html

GMC h8h 649#028
Pennsylvania-central
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: