Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
November 22, 2014, 11:27:46 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This BB is intended for the sole purpose of sharing conversion and bus related information among visitors to our web site. These rules must be followed in order for us to continue this free exchange of info. No bad mouthing of any business or individual is permitted. Absolutely no items for sale are to be posted, except in the Spare Tire board. Interested in placing a classified or web ad, please contact our advertising dept. at 714-903-1784 or e-mail to: info@busconversions.com.

Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Needing Some Info On A Canuck 600 Bus  (Read 926 times)
luvrbus

Ignore
« on: September 06, 2013, 07:24:23 PM »

I went to help a widow start a bus today I have never saw one before and was looking for a little information on a Western Flyer Canuck 600  it is a intercity bus not a transit type

The bus looks identical to a MCI 5 except it is 38ft long it is has a 8v71 with a 4 speed manual, power steering and AC she says it is a 1967 model but the title says 1968 

They have owned the bus for 20 years her paper work is from Canada it has never been transferred from Carleton Bus Lines,the husband passed away 10 or 12 years ago and the bus has been sitting in his shop and she is moving from here and wants to sell it 

After freeing the rack and injectors it started on the second revolution I pushed the clutch down and it stuck to the floor but came back up when it started 

My question is did MCI manufacture the bus and make a 38 ft MCI 5 just for Western Flyer to brand I am going back Sat to try and move the bus here it is truly a remarkable bus I never saw one before have any of you guys ?

Life is short drink the good wine first
Ed Hackenbruch

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2013, 08:57:19 PM »

Clifford,  "Originated in 1930 in Winnipeg, Manitoba, as Western Auto and Truck Body Works Limited, Western Flyer emerged after WW11 with intercity buses such as the T-28 an T-32 Standards and the Canuck. The Canuck 600 was the last intercity model built by Flyer before converting to transit bus production. A total of 693 intercity buses were delivered. By 1967 Flyer produced its first 40-foot transit bus which looked much like a GM new-look."  That is about all that my book says about them. From a small picture it looks a lot like a 5 but the side windows look to be on the exact same level as the window in the door and it looks like there are 2 small windows above each of the side windows. Also looks like it has 5 windows down each side instead of the 4 windows that the 5 series has. The windows in the 5 series are not quite on the same level as the door window but in fact are about 4 inches higher. Looking at a picture of a 5C however, it looks like all of the windows are at the same level......never noticed that before, but then again i can't remember if i have seen a 5C in person.  JC might be familiar with the Canucks and be able to shed more light on them.

1968 MCI 5A with 8V71 and Allison MT644 transmission.  Western USA
eagle19952

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2013, 09:11:26 PM »

heres one...
http://www.bargainbusnews.com/Buses/1548-1967WesternFlyerCanuck600/#imgiframediv

here's another...older 1962

a bit more...1958
http://www.angelfire.com/ca5/5ac12/58%20western.htm

but maybe you could call these people...
http://www.newflyer.com/index/timeline_with_copy_a

Expanded into the new Fort Garry Winnipeg plant due to exceptional growth and in preparation for expansion into transit bus manufacturing.
 Developed Canuck 500 intercity bus.
they are now called NEW FLYER still in business I guess.

Donald PH
1978 Model 05 Eagle w/Torsilastic Suspension,8V71 NA, DDAllison on 24.5's 12kw Kubota.
Wants Paint Smiley
Previously owned by Wee Willie Ent.
Ed Hackenbruch

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2013, 09:16:44 PM »

If you google  Western Flyer Canuck 600,  you can find some links with pictures and more info.

1968 MCI 5A with 8V71 and Allison MT644 transmission.  Western USA
Timkar

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2013, 10:41:38 PM »

I'll try to attach a couple of pics Clifford. Similar to the ones I learned to drive on , but they were 1950's models and had the 392 International with an electric solenoid for the clutch (button was on the shifter)  and a 4 spd. Always had a soft spot for them......

Cawston, British Columbia
bevans6

1980 MCI MC-5C

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2013, 03:49:10 AM »

Carleton was, historically, most of the surrounding suburbs of Ottawa, Ontario, capital city of Canada.  Now all have been amalgamated into the City of Ottawa.  The bus system there is known as OC Transpo, for Ottawa-Carleton Transportation.  Carleton Bus Lines operated commuter service in the surrounding area mostly south and west of Ottawa.  The latest thing I can find on them is 1995, I don't know what happened to them.  My Dad commuted into Ottawa on a bus after we moved to Nepean in 1967, it's possible he was taking a Carleton Bus Lines bus.  Here is their fleet:  http://www.cptdb.ca/wiki/index.php?title=Carleton_Bus_Lines

Western Flyer got bought a few times, but has now transformed into New Flyer, still based out of Winnipeg, and is a large manufacturer of transit buses.  http://www.cptdb.ca/wiki/index.php?title=New_Flyer_Industries

Brian

1980 MCI MC-5C, 8V-71T from a M-110 self propelled howitzer
Spicer 8844 4 speed Zen meditation device
Vintage race cars -
1978 Lola T440 Formula Ford
1972 NTM MK-4 B/SR
lostagain

MC5C

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2013, 07:33:11 AM »

We had a couple of 1963 models of the Western Flyers at Brewster's in the '70s. Brewster's had bought them brand new from Winnipeg, with the sky-view windows. They had the International gas engines. They were used for local sightseeing tours, and to the ski hills in the winter.

JC

JC
Invermere, BC
1977 MC5C, 6V92/HT740
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: