Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
July 24, 2014, 06:03:56 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: It will not be stolen by your mailman or your neighbor who also may be into buses.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Eagle Bus - transmission and power steering  (Read 823 times)
Chas

Ignore
« on: September 14, 2013, 09:54:30 PM »

Hello All,

I am still fairly new to this busing world. I purchased a converted and a bit neglected 1979 Eagle 05 awhile back and have been working on it. It currently does not have power steering (air or hyd.) and has a manual 4 speed transmission. I have come across a 1982 that may be more of a parts bus than anything, but the power steering and automatic transmission look to be solid (bus is drivable and both) . Can anyone provide any input regarding the 1982 05 tranny and power steering can be coupled up to my 79'. Also, besides the obvious benefits of an automatic transmission, are there any pro's and con's of an auto vs. a manual from a service life standpoint? If I wanted to price a power steering upgrade and auto transmission (new an/or used), can anyone offer a resource or vendor for these?

Also, this 1982 has more rust than my 79' but does have some mechanical strengths over my 79'. Is the 82' a wider bus? Does anyone have any pro's and con's of the 82' over the 79' from a mechanical/OEM quality standpoint? Thank everyone much. I'm really enjoying getting into this bus life!

Chas
Timkar

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2013, 06:16:41 AM »

I am sure those with more knowledge than I will weigh n soon. But the 82 should be virtually identical to your 79. It is probably a model 10 with the larger windshields and a few other differences. Both are probably 96" coaches. Don't know about the brakes on your 05, but the 82 may have the larger brakes which would also be a good conversion item. The drivetrain should be virtually identical.
HTH....Tim

Cawston, British Columbia
Ericbsc

73 05

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2013, 11:16:08 AM »

Power steering components will work. You will need different mounts for the box available fron Jefferson truck and bus. The trans. will also work with modifications. The rear drivers side frame in front of engine will need to be reworked. You will also need flex plates, hub etc. to adapt the transmission to engine.
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2013, 12:25:16 PM »

The Texas Border Dude's 1979 05 Eagle is identical to a model 10 brakes and all, I think Joe Laird and Pratts are the same as a 10 too

I would check some 05's don't require any type modifications for power steering and auto transmission for a while Eagle was using the 600 and 700 series Allison in the 5 and 10 with a 8v71 a 1979 year model can go either way

Live each day like it was your last,one day it will be
TexasBorderDude
Founder - Texas Curmudgeon Society

Nothing simple is ever easy...

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2013, 12:49:22 PM »

The Texas Border Dude's 1979 05 Eagle is identical to a model 10 brakes and all, I think Joe Laird and Pratts are the same as a 10 too

I would check some 05's don't require any type modifications for power steering and auto transmission for a while Eagle was using the 600 and 700 series Allison in the 5 and 10 with a 8v71 a 1979 year model can go either way

What he said...hehehehe!

A curmudgeon's reputation for malevolence is undeserved. They're neither warped nor evil at heart. They don't hate mankind, just mankind's absurdities. They're just as sensitive and soft-hearted as the next guy, but they hide their vulnerability beneath a crust of misanthropy.
Ericbsc

73 05

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2013, 03:15:44 PM »

I put P.S. on a 1974 05 recently and was able to bolt the hf-64 box to the existing bracket. You do need to add three gussets to it for support. I know an allison mt-654 will fit the belguim models with no mods. On the later 05's they moved the support bracket on the drivers side of the tranny at an angle to clear the 740. Even that is a simple job compared to wrestling everything out then back in!!LOL You said you had a 10 parts bus? It would have everything you need and you could see the angled brace beside the transmission. As for the plates Clifford probably has detroit numbers on the parts. I do remember Kentucky Steve saying that the hub was gold, platinum, or something because it cost so much!!
akroyaleagle

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2013, 05:26:59 PM »

Our 1978 "Hanford" buses were manufactured at the end of the 05 run. They are essentially 10s without the 10 front cap.

Yours is a 1979. Have you checked the VIN to ensure that? If it is a 1979, I think it probably is the same as the 10 also.
Look at the framework in yours where the power steering would go and compare it to the 82.

Is the parts bus a 8-71N or a 6-92T? Is the transmission a 740?

Both buses would be 96" wide and use the same windshields.

Post your questions on the Eagle Board also and maybe Dan will see them. He could give you a lot of info.

Joe Laird
'78 Eagle
Huron, South Dakota
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: